The Student Room Group

IBS hell

So I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 13 and I'll be honest, the pain was non stop for months and life become not worth living at all and before I took any final decision it went away.

I'm now 28 and I had some random stomach pain last week which I assumed was food poisoning but every night and some days I get unbearable pain.
Due to my lifestyle I CANNOT be sick right now and I can't go on living like this, I can barely eat and have to chug down painkillers to sleep at all.

IBS is pretty much an enigma as far as the doctors are concerned. Does anyone have any quick pain relief tips or some sort of information that can help?

P.S I always have diarrhea, it is like a way of life for me.
Have you tried taking Buscopan? It provides pain relief specifically for IBS. Some of the people in my family who have IBS swear by it, although I personally haven't tried it. Another way to relieve the pain is to use a heating pad or wheat bag. I use one of these to help take the edge off the pain, and they also help me to relax, especially if I get pain at night.

I hope you find relief soon, I know how miserable having IBS can be :hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Have you tried taking Buscopan? It provides pain relief specifically for IBS. Some of the people in my family who have IBS swear by it, although I personally haven't tried it. Another way to relieve the pain is to use a heating pad or wheat bag. I use one of these to help take the edge off the pain, and they also help me to relax, especially if I get pain at night.

I hope you find relief soon, I know how miserable having IBS can be :hugs:

Yeah I'm taking buscopan which doesn't seem to do anything and I'm taking ibuprofen. I don't think a heating pad will do much, the pain is beyond anything of that nature.

If it's the stomach muscles spasming then will it help if I do like 1000 crunches to tire it out and make it numb?
Hey man,

May not be the quickest solution but not drinking milk and having modulin drinks everyday has honestly improved me so so much (odd maybe)

Also I seem to be really responsive to some antibiotics called vancomycin.

Hope you feel better soon
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jebedee
Yeah I'm taking buscopan which doesn't seem to do anything and I'm taking ibuprofen. I don't think a heating pad will do much, the pain is beyond anything of that nature.

If it's the stomach muscles spasming then will it help if I do like 1000 crunches to tire it out and make it numb?

Ah okay. Have you tried asking your doctor about prescribing some medium/high strength painkillers? If normal otc painkillers aren't working, then it must be worth at least inquiring about getting some higher strength ones.

I'm not sure whether doing lots of crunches would help, it would probably make it worse if anything, especially if you aren't used to doing them...
Reply 5
Original post by Sandman23
Hey man,

May not be the quickest solution but not drinking milk and having modulin drinks everyday has honestly improved me so so much (odd maybe)

Also I seem to be really responsive to some antibiotics called vancomycin.

Hope you feel better soon

I'll check it out, cheers.

Ah okay. Have you tried asking your doctor about prescribing some medium/high strength painkillers? If normal otc painkillers aren't working, then it must be worth at least inquiring about getting some higher strength ones.

I'm not sure whether doing lots of crunches would help, it would probably make it worse if anything, especially if you aren't used to doing them...

I am used to doing them though, I lift 4x per week (or i did before this episode) and I do 30 mins of cardio 4x per week. My diet is generally healthy (standard bodybuilding diet) with very low sugar/fat. That's why I feel like I've been so cheated.

I'll inquire about better painkillers though.
Original post by Jebedee
So I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 13 and I'll be honest, the pain was non stop for months and life become not worth living at all and before I took any final decision it went away.

I'm now 28 and I had some random stomach pain last week which I assumed was food poisoning but every night and some days I get unbearable pain.
Due to my lifestyle I CANNOT be sick right now and I can't go on living like this, I can barely eat and have to chug down painkillers to sleep at all.

IBS is pretty much an enigma as far as the doctors are concerned. Does anyone have any quick pain relief tips or some sort of information that can help?

P.S I always have diarrhea, it is like a way of life for me.

Hey, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this pain - I feel you :console:

Is it internal muscle spasms that are causing you pain or is it felt externally? And has that been caused by food, or are you only getting the excruciating pain when you eat food?
Original post by Jebedee

I am used to doing them though, I lift 4x per week (or i did before this episode) and I do 30 mins of cardio 4x per week. My diet is generally healthy (standard bodybuilding diet) with very low sugar/fat. That's why I feel like I've been so cheated.

I'll inquire about better painkillers though.

It might be worth a go then, you won't know unless you try I suppose!

Also, like Sandman23 suggested, perhaps you could try changing your diet a bit, for example reducing your intake of dairy? I apologise if you've already done these things, I'm not sure what you have and haven't tried :redface:
Reply 8
Original post by Lovinlife2
Hey, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this pain - I feel you :console:

Is it internal muscle spasms that are causing you pain or is it felt externally? And has that been caused by food, or are you only getting the excruciating pain when you eat food?

The pain is difficult to pinpoint exactly. I often have a crushing feeling in my chest now (like the momentary feeling you get when hearing a loved one has passed away, but constant) and under my ribcage is some hard to identify ache. I guess it is internal from the intestines perhaps.

It started hurting earlier before I had a chance to make dinner. So I couldn't eat anything tonight as it takes away my appetite (managed 2 spoonfuls of last night's dinner too).

It might be worth a go then, you won't know unless you try I suppose!

Also, like Sandman23 suggested, perhaps you could try changing your diet a bit, for example reducing your intake of dairy? I apologise if you've already done these things, I'm not sure what you have and haven't tried :redface:

I've never been that big on dairy tbh apart from eggs. If I cut them out then it will hurt my protein intake for sure.
Reply 9
Hi, since there has been a few years since your ibs diagnosis it might be worth asking your dr to run some bloods just to rule out anything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician. You could think about a low FODMAP diet which aims to limit the fermentable foods which trigger ibs. It's been the only thing that has helped me. Painkillers are no good if you don't find the cause of your symptoms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hello mate,

Sorry for my late response here. Not much sure how much this will help you. This I got benefit using this dynamic stretching. Actually I was suffering from back pain over 3 months. It's really severe and not been able to forbear. However, I follow dynamic stretching and got relived. You can try for it.

Thanks for your time. All the best!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest