The Student Room Group

Im scared of going to uni and not being good enough

I guess everyone has these thoughts, but im just scared of investing four years (Scotland) of time into university and not doing well. Obviously i'll try and do my best, but im just thinking about the opportunity cost and wasting four years if i fail. I do struggle with the amount of people in a lecture theatre and keeping a postive mindset and i just don't think im good enough to do well.

I have offers for Edinburgh and stuff but idk :c
:wavey:

I hope you don't mind me asking this but do you suffer from stuff like anxiety and low self-esteem? It sounds like from your post you might do and if that IS the case (you don't have to answer in the thread if you don't want to - you can PM me and I won't repeat anything you say in the open forum), I'd like to reassure you that there is a lot of support out there for students with such issues and that that alone need not hold you back. It's a reasonable fear to have but it need not stop you from attending uni, if that is what you want to do.

If you have an offer from Edinburgh, you must be reasonably bright and they are confident that you will meet your offer conditions and be able to take up the place, based on the evidence they have been provided with. I would think there is little reason to think that admissions tutors would get it completely wrong! The jump from school to uni can be big academically but most people swim, rather than sink, so there's not much reason (at least from what you've said in your OP) to suspect that you'd definitely be in the minority :smile:

Something that IS worth pointing out though, that there are a LOT of people out there getting degrees now, which means the competition for entry-level jobs is stiff and the requirements have gone up. Depending on what type of job you would be hoping to do after uni, uni is almost certainly your best bet of getting a foot in the door at some point :yes:
Reply 2
I'm feeling the same, I've applied for a four year degree and kinda worried I won't be good enough and it will be a waste of time/money, etc. Like The_Lonely_Goatherd said though, I hear there are good student support networks in place for people who have disabilities like anxiety and the like (if you feel you have this) so you won't be left to deal with it entirely by yourself.
Yeah, that is the case. What kinda support can these places provide? :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marshmallow9999
Yeah, that is the case. What kinda support can these places provide? :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anxiety is recognised as a disability (mental health conditions count!) and is covered under the Equality Act 2010 (I think that's the right year, I always get confused :colondollar: ). As such, if you have an official diagnosis of anxiety, your university is obliged to level the playing field so that you may reach you full potential, by putting certain things in place.

So for example, you mention lecture theatre environments being daunting. If you have a written confirmed diagnosis of anxiety from a GP or psychiatrist, you can take that to Edinburgh's disability department (even before you start there!) and register with them. They will encourage you to apply for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) - I would heartily recommend you comply and fill in the form! If your funding body agree that you have a disability and are eligible for DSA, then they will pay for you to have a 2 hour needs assessment, tailored to your exact needs and problems. They may recommmend a mental health mentor, or a notetaker for lectures, in case you feel too anxious to attend some days (or even every day!). They can provide library support, give you a printer-scanner so that you can do stuff from home, etc. This will all be paid for by your funding body and/or your university.

Even if you decide NOT to apply for DSA (though I really would recommend it!), your university can - once they know you have a registered diagnosis - put things into place without DSA. This could include specifying to lecturers to give you handouts/PowerPoint slides in advance via email, so that if you cannot attend, you haven't missed out. They can specify to the lecturer that you be assigned a seat very close to the exit, in case you need to leave mid-lecture due to anxiety and/or a panic attack. For exams, they can put you in a separate room from everyone else, so that you are not overwhelmed by the number of people.

Literally, there are SO many things they can do to help, and they WILL be happy to help you. All you need is a doctor's note confirming a diagnosis.

Hope that helps a bit :h:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Anxiety is recognised as a disability (mental health conditions count!) and is covered under the Equality Act 2010 (I think that's the right year, I always get confused :colondollar: ). As such, if you have an official diagnosis of anxiety, your university is obliged to level the playing field so that you may reach you full potential, by putting certain things in place.

So for example, you mention lecture theatre environments being daunting. If you have a written confirmed diagnosis of anxiety from a GP or psychiatrist, you can take that to Edinburgh's disability department (even before you start there!) and register with them. They will encourage you to apply for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) - I would heartily recommend you comply and fill in the form! If your funding body agree that you have a disability and are eligible for DSA, then they will pay for you to have a 2 hour needs assessment, tailored to your exact needs and problems. They may recommmend a mental health mentor, or a notetaker for lectures, in case you feel too anxious to attend some days (or even every day!). They can provide library support, give you a printer-scanner so that you can do stuff from home, etc. This will all be paid for by your funding body and/or your university.

Even if you decide NOT to apply for DSA (though I really would recommend it!), your university can - once they know you have a registered diagnosis - put things into place without DSA. This could include specifying to lecturers to give you handouts/PowerPoint slides in advance via email, so that if you cannot attend, you haven't missed out. They can specify to the lecturer that you be assigned a seat very close to the exit, in case you need to leave mid-lecture due to anxiety and/or a panic attack. For exams, they can put you in a separate room from everyone else, so that you are not overwhelmed by the number of people.

Literally, there are SO many things they can do to help, and they WILL be happy to help you. All you need is a doctor's note confirming a diagnosis.

Hope that helps a bit :h:

yeah, September will be my second year at uni. Last year I medically deferred because I started and went into a lecture theatre and after about five minutes of fear, I just ran out :c
Thanks for the advice :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah, September will be my second year at uni. Last year I medically deferred because I started and went into a lecture theatre and after about five minutes of fear, I just ran out :c
Thanks for the advice :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can register with the disability office at any time - it's never too late at all! Just do it before your fourth year would be my recommendation: if you only have your needs assessment/receive your DSA in your last year of studying, you have to return any equipment given.

Good luck with getting the help you both need, but deserve :h:
Reply 7
I guess everyone has these thoughts, but im just scared of investing four years (Scotland) of time into university and not doing well. Obviously i'll try and do my best, but im just thinking about the opportunity cost and wasting four years if i fail. I do struggle with the amount of people in a lecture theatre and keeping a postive mindset and i just don't think im good enough to do well.

I have offers for Edinburgh and stuff but idk :c

I'm not seeing anything more in your post than perfectly understandable nerves at being faced with a new situation. Don't be talked into thinking it's abnormal or something you're automatically going to struggle with. I would say that the majority of people feel apprehensive about starting uni - it's a very natural reaction. When you do start, just remember that, whilst those around you may look super-confident, most of them are feeling just as scared. It took me four attempts before I managed to stay in my uni library long enough to actually read anything! But I did it and ended up loving the place.

Take it slowly. Pace yourself. Allow yourself to be anxious - it's OK. It generates adrenaline which will help you do things, like find your way to your first lecture and have the guts to walk in. Remember that no matter how alien your uni feels on your first day, you'll have found your way to the key places within days and you'll start finding it familiar within a couple of weeks.

If you really run into problems when you're there, every uni has some kind of Student Support department which offers counselling and advice on problems around coping with uni. I used mine and they were great. Your tuition fees help to pay for them, so get your money's worth if you need help, support, advice or just a friendly neutral person to talk to.

But don't talk yourself into a problem that you may not have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending