The Student Room Group

Is it normal for a car to burn/consume oil ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CurlyBen
Turbo failure.

Think my turbo maybe faulty anyway, ever since my friend put a second hand bearing on it.
Now I only hear it occasinally and I hear a whining noise when accelerating hard.
Reply 21
I was being serious.

There's a few factors to consider...
On one hand you've got an engine that is clearly burning oil since we've established it's not leaking.
It's not in the first flush of youth so tollerances will now be much greater than when it was first put together.
Fully synthetic oils tend to have high detergent properties. At this age and mileage there will be a fair few carbon deposits clinging to the oil passageways. You run the risk of dislodging these deposits and them subsequently blocking an oil gallery if you use a fully synth oil. You may think you are being kind to the engine but if the above scenario were to happen you'd starve the top end of oil and it would grenade.
On the other hand as CB points out using the wrong spec oil means that the additive package just isn't there for the bearing surfaces of components such as the turbo. However, the viscosity index isn't neccesarily linked to whether or not the oil will meet specs in terms of the additive package
Another point - you mentioned further up the page that it had been run practically dry of oil... well that won't have helped.

If it meets specs in terms of the additive package you can try a slightly thicker oil. This may well stop it burning what you put in.
Or, you can just keep feeding it as and when.

I take it you still haven't fixed your MAF yet? Unlike a petrol that gets super hot when the AFR is lean, diesels actually get excessively hot when overfueled and that won't be helping your oil consumption...
Original post by JC.
I was being serious.

There's a few factors to consider...
On one hand you've got an engine that is clearly burning oil since we've established it's not leaking.
It's not in the first flush of youth so tollerances will now be much greater than when it was first put together.
Fully synthetic oils tend to have high detergent properties. At this age and mileage there will be a fair few carbon deposits clinging to the oil passageways. You run the risk of dislodging these deposits and them subsequently blocking an oil gallery if you use a fully synth oil. You may think you are being kind to the engine but if the above scenario were to happen you'd starve the top end of oil and it would grenade.
On the other hand as CB points out using the wrong spec oil means that the additive package just isn't there for the bearing surfaces of components such as the turbo. However, the viscosity index isn't neccesarily linked to whether or not the oil will meet specs in terms of the additive package
Another point - you mentioned further up the page that it had been run practically dry of oil... well that won't have helped.

If it meets specs in terms of the additive package you can try a slightly thicker oil. This may well stop it burning what you put in.
Or, you can just keep feeding it as and when.

I take it you still haven't fixed your MAF yet? Unlike a petrol that gets super hot when the AFR is lean, diesels actually get excessively hot when overfueled and that won't be helping your oil consumption...

Hi

It has not been confirmed that there is no oil leak present, I told you that there is no oil leaking onto the ground, however that does not mean that it isnt leaking oil. It may still be leaking oil but not onto the ground but onto components instead

Anyway, checked oil this morning and still around the same level as about 2 weeks ago.

Am almost certain it isnot burning oil
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JC.

I wasn't thinking in terms of additive packages particularly - if the viscosity of the oil is too high there is a risk of turbo failure due to starvation on startup from cold. As the company I used to work for found out, at a cost of several hundred thousand pounds...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending