The Student Room Group

HELP! A2 English Literature coursework

Hello, I am doing the critical anthology coursework piece with a focus on metaphor. I need a second poem but I wanted something quite short as I already have quite a lot to speak about with my first, I was looking to use 'An Apple Gathering' by Christina Rossetti. Does anyone know if there are metaphors in this poem? I can only really spot symbolism!
I'm supposed to come up with another poem later today so any help is appreciated
Thank you!
I love Rossetti's poetry but I would use Goblin Market instead, it goes slightly more in depth with the metaphor. Good luck!
I was planning to also use porphyria's lover as my teacher suggested to use two or one long poem. I know Goblin Market is lengthy, so I could possibly use it on its own but I'm not familiar with its metaphorical language... I'm so confused!! My question will be about how metaphors use concrete images to convey something abstract helping to conmunicate what is hard to explain, do you think this could work with Govlin Market?

Thanks for your response
Goblin Market uses a sex metaphor so I don't think so :/

Not really sure you could use any Rossetti or Browning poems for that question? Porphyria's Lover might be good but the idea of 'communicating something that is hard to explain' isn't present in either.

You could consider how they use metaphor to discuss something which is contextually taboo?
hello my name is keith smith and i was wondering if anybody here could help me to understand how the poet don paterson powerfully conveys emotion in the poem " why do you stay up so late ?" . i find the poem very interesting but have not been able to fully understand this idea
Symbolism is a form of metaphor! You can include that in your coursework. If you look up metaphor on google it comes up with:

meta|phor.NOUN
1 a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
synonyms: figure of speech · figurative expression · image · trope
a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else.
synonyms: parable · analogy · metaphor · symbol · emblem
Also, as for metaphors in 'An Apple-Gathering':
- "I plucked pink blossoms" may be a metaphor for seeking love/sex too soon or outside wedlock
- "Her basket full" could be a metaphor for pregnancy, fertility, or romantic/sexual fulfilment
- The talk of love being "worth" various things in stanza five is a conventional metaphor relating to money
- "By this way we used to walk // We shall not walk again!" may allude to the familiar conventional metaphor that 'life is a journey': the narrator may be saying their 'paths' in life will not cross again as they did
- "I let my neighbours pass me", in relation to the previous point, may mean more than physically pass, but imply they surpass her in life, moving forward to finding partners and starting families, whilst she is left at the time of her mistake, unable to move forward

I've talked a ton about symbolism in my coursework (which is also on metaphor) and I just handed in a first draft for my teacher to look over. I'm pretty certain it all counts (especially as some of the example questions we were given in class were on metaphor and had 'symbolism' in the title), but I'll try to remember to reply on this thread if I get it back and am penalised for writing about symbolism as well as metaphor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending