The Student Room Group

Would love teach but my degree is not related to the subject and got 3rd class

Hi All,

Please please be gentle with me.
Unfortunately I got a 3rd class degree for few points. My personal life has been quite hard with me, mother ill nearly dying, work issues..... So I ended up with a 3rd, graduated with that. Cannot do anything unless I pay for another one....
Anyway I have always wanted to teach, so I was looking for Maths. Nothing to do with what I have studied at Uni, I thought well I can always do SKE, as soon I get the offer. Also teaching Maths you still get the funds even you do have a 3rd. The thing is I have tried to use UCAS and you can also search uni's who do take 3rd ones but then when you call them, they are confusing themselves and they are starting to say, we don't, if you have nothing related then go and get SKE when it's not the truth and they should know you can't do it unless they give you an offer to the PGCE course.
Anyone really nice knows which Uni really does take a 3rd class with a degree who has not got anything to do with Maths and give you the opportunity to start this career?
Or have you got any idea how to do it in another way?
I am thinking to start back Math degree in another country for 3 years which the costs are really cheap than UK.
Thank you in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Do you have A-level Maths? Have you worked in any fields that require a lot of mathematical skill?

While Maths is a shortage subject (and many providers will accept a third in Maths or a Maths based degree), I think you'll struggle without either of those.
Sorry to hear the providers aren't being straight on the phone. you could rock up at a DfE train to teach event and see if you can get any straight answers face to face.
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/teaching-events/listing?return=true

you could get a job and do an OU degree
Reply 3
Original post by JaneBaratheon
Do you have A-level Maths? Have you worked in any fields that require a lot of mathematical skill?

While Maths is a shortage subject (and many providers will accept a third in Maths or a Maths based degree), I think you'll struggle without either of those.

Hi there,
yes I do have GSCE B in Maths and B on A level. So that is not bad at all. I have done some uni's maths in the past but it was long time ago. I am a mature student though. I am working and also I used to as well worked where I have used to have lot of mathematical skills involved. The problem is when I am looking at UCAS website there are providers but when I do enquire them, they just say no!! You cannot get a grant due my 3rd class and we cannot take you onboard and we wish you all the success for your future. Mind you, that I do know that even with a 3rd class you are still able to have the funds but it seems uni's are quite harsh and don't want to listen when I am trying to say what UCAS and the gov. website says..... :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
Sorry to hear the providers aren't being straight on the phone. you could rock up at a DfE train to teach event and see if you can get any straight answers face to face.
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/teaching-events/listing?return=true

you could get a job and do an OU degree

Hi there,
thank you for your reply and taking your time to answer my query. Unfortunately uni's are asking me to redo my full degree. The problem is that OU in England is far too expensive. A full degree costs nearly 16k and to be honest if I have to work and spend all that amount of money, I do have the choice to go abroad, as I do speak fluently other languages and get the degree in the continent where I do not need to pay that amount of money. I have found few uni's for a 3 years maths and I will pay maximum 3000 Euros in total. Everyone should have a chance to follow your dream but you should not get charged with that amount of fees, it's too much.
What languages do you speak? Have you considered teaching MFL? There is still a large grant.
Reply 6
Original post by ChancedTravels
What languages do you speak? Have you considered teaching MFL? There is still a large grant.

Hello there,
I have never considered the MFL route to be honest. I might do if it that's the case. I do speak French, Spanish and Italian. Could be so kind to give me few more info? Thank you for taking time to reply to my post.
Original post by robertjwll73
Hello there,
I have never considered the MFL route to be honest. I might do if it that's the case. I do speak French, Spanish and Italian. Could be so kind to give me few more info? Thank you for taking time to reply to my post.

Most schools was French and Spanish speakers - do you have formal qualifications? I'm not certain how it works and if you have to have an a level in each, or even a degree in a language, but I know there is a hefty grant. (25-30k?)
Contact some unis and I'm sure they can give you a better idea, and if you google teacher training bursaries it will tell you what you would be eligible to receive.
For the MFL route you would need to have a 2:2 minimum to receive a bursary. As far as I'm aware there is no track that offers a bursary with a third. If you are a native speaker, you wouldn't need a degree in the language but you would need a degree in another subject and, preferably, be able to teach another language to KS3 level (by holding a GCSE or equivalent).
(I should add if you aren't a native speaker, then you would need a degree in the language you want to teach to be able to teach it as is standard practice; they still prefer for you to have studied two languages to GCSE level and ideally A-Level)
Original post by pillinois
(I should add if you aren't a native speaker, then you would need a degree in the language you want to teach to be able to teach it as is standard practice; they still prefer for you to have studied two languages to GCSE level and ideally A-Level)

I am a native speaker, English is my second language. So how I find out more about it? Thank you for your message.
Reply 11
Just a quick question: Why do you want to teach maths? As in, why be a maths teacher specifically?
You may be able to get onto a pgce further education maths course. There is a shortage of maths teachers in further education to the extent that bursaries are available to train to teach this age group also. I've seen some courses advertised where they will judge you as an individual if you have an A level in maths and they think you're suitable. I think it was on Liverpool Hopes website that I saw this for their fe pgce.

Hi there,
thank you for your reply and taking your time to answer my query. Unfortunately uni's are asking me to redo my full degree. The problem is that OU in England is far too expensive. A full degree costs nearly 16k and to be honest if I have to work and spend all that amount of money, I do have the choice to go abroad, as I do speak fluently other languages and get the degree in the continent where I do not need to pay that amount of money. I have found few uni's for a 3 years maths and I will pay maximum 3000 Euros in total. Everyone should have a chance to follow your dream but you should not get charged with that amount of fees, it's too much.
I am a native speaker, English is my second language. So how I find out more about it? Thank you for your message.

I would look into the MFL route then as providers may be willing to overlook a lower degree classification if you plan to teach your native language (especially since MFL is a shortage subject). Do you have a GCSE/A-Level or equivalent in another language? I would contact someone using the Get into Teaching service.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nerwen
Just a quick question: Why do you want to teach maths? As in, why be a maths teacher specifically?

Right, I did math at school, achieving B on GSCE and A level and also in the past I used to go to Uni and I have done maths but unfortunately it was more than 20 years ago and cannot be counted; I would love to get that chance to teach it and change career.
Original post by pillinois
I would look into the MFL route then as providers may be willing to overlook a lower degree classification if you plan to teach your native language (especially since MFL is a shortage subject). Do you have a GCSE/A-Level or equivalent in another language?

Yes I do in all languages. The thing is that uni's are quite strict for my degree score and I have tried to speak with them, but the usual answer as soon they do know my grade is a big no.... :frown:
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
You may be able to get onto a pgce further education maths course. There is a shortage of maths teachers in further education to the extent that bursaries are available to train to teach this age group also. I've seen some courses advertised where they will judge you as an individual if you have an A level in maths and they think you're suitable. I think it was on Liverpool Hopes website that I saw this for their fe pgce.

Thank you very much, I will have look at their website.
Reply 17
Right, I did math at school, achieving B on GSCE and A level and also in the past I used to go to Uni and I have done maths but unfortunately it was more than 20 years ago and cannot be counted; I would love to get that chance to teach it and change career.

Well while you are right that you can get a PGCE bursary for maths without a 2:2, I don't believe you qualify.

This is from getintoteaching.education.gov.uk

"Trainee teachers in maths and physics may be eligible for a bursary of £9,000 without a 2:2 classification. To qualify for this bursary, the trainee must have a degree in a relevant subject, with at least a B at A level in maths, further maths or physics (or equivalent)."

You have said that your degree is not relevant, so it would seem that courses are right when they are saying that they would not get funding for you.

Can I ask what your degree is in?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nerwen
Well while you are right that you can get a PGCE bursary for maths without a 2:2, I don't believe you qualify.

This is from getintoteaching.education.gov.uk

"Trainee teachers in maths and physics may be eligible for a bursary of £9,000 without a 2:2 classification. To qualify for this bursary, the trainee must have a degree in a relevant subject, with at least a B at A level in maths, further maths or physics (or equivalent)."

You have said that your degree is not relevant, so it would seem that courses are right when they are saying that they would not get funding for you.

Can I ask what your degree is in?
#

Social Science
Reply 19
#

Social Science

It is unlikely that you would be able to become a maths teacher with that degree then. This is from the entry requirements for the maths PGCE at Liverpool Hope University:
"An Undergraduate Honours Degree 2:2 or above, incorporating at least 50% Mathematics, or successful completion of the Mathematics Enhancement Course"

Unfortunately you just don't meet the qualifications for funding. So courses can't really offer you a place as you won't be able to pay for it. I'm sorry that you are in this situation.

It may help to go on the getintoteaching.education.gov.uk, they have contact details for advice. It is worth you contacting them and explaining your situation, they may be able to help you.

Quick Reply

Latest