The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hello there I'm a mature single mum looking to return to my final year of Bioscience degree. I began my course in 2000 and studied for two years, then had a gap year and resumed in 2003/2004 a I then became pregnant, so had to stop study - so up I too 2004 I had received 2 full years of student loan and one payment for 2003/2004.
I applied again to complete course 2008/2009 and unfortunately due to a very messy divorce and subsequent depression,, I had taken on far too much attempting to resume studies, so had to stop again . I received first payment only.

Fast forward to 2016 and I am in a much better place, my child has started secondary school and I wish to carry on with my studies and finish my degree and go on to teach. I just want to know I'd before applying, I am entitled to any financial assistance. Thank you
Reply 2
Hi emma
What income threshold is the limit for parenting loan and childcare grant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi Emma, I'm quite new to all this, but I heard that from September 2016 we will no longer be able to get grants we will have to apply for loans. Is this correct?
Reply 4
Hi Emma,
Im postgraduate international student. My wife lives with me in England and recently we knew that she is pregnant. I want to know, what kind of extra grants can I apply for?
Reply 5
Hi, does anyone know whether I am likely to be eligible for a childcare grant from SFE? I'm hoping to start adult nursing in september and have 5 children, 3 of whom I will need to pay for childcare with an average cost of £150 per week. My husband earns £30,500 per year(before tax). We currently get tax credits but won't be able to claim childcare costs through them as I won't be working. According to the nhs bursary calculator I will be eligible for a reasonable bursary and maintenance loan but childcare will more or less use all of that up if I can't get a childcare grant, can't find any info anywhere that shows what kind of thresholds are in place for childcare grant. Thanks in advance for any info anybody can give me. x
Reply 6
I am planning to apply the nursery for my daughter next year.
This independant (Exeter Cathedral school) is inspected by the Independent Schools' Inspectorate (ISI) who reported to the Department for Education. The ISI is the body approved by the Secretary of State for the purpose of inspecting school belonging to the Independant School Council Assosiations and reporting on compliance with the Education (Independant School Standards) (England) Regulations 2010.
I am currently entitled to get the childcare grant with an Ofsted Nursery. Am I Entitled to get childcare grant if we change to this independant school in the same circumstances next year?
Thanks in advance!
Reply 7
Hi,
I'm 23. I was born 22th April 1992, so when I start the Uni I will be 24. (I'm applying this year). I came to UK in 2011 and originally I come from one of the EU countries.
I also have 2 year old child. I want to ask what I can get, am I get full loan for my studies (9000 per year) and what kind of grants will I get? When do I need to apply for student finance?
Reply 8
Hi can anyone tell me why I'm being told I'm not eligible for childcare allowance i am half way through my 2nd year studying health care practice degree I was entitled to it last year and was given an extra payment in November to cover sept-Dec childcare! I live with my husband and 2 children and our earning haven't changed! Just wondering if anyone else has had the same? Or what I can do for them to look at it again x
Reply 9
Hi,
I have a 24+ loan in place ready to start my access course next week, i wondered if there was any other help i could get such as childcare/mainanence grants/loans?
If there is please can you point me in the right direction with links to apply or to forms.

Thanks
Kirsty
Original post by Lilneenz
Hello there I'm a mature single mum looking to return to my final year of Bioscience degree. I began my course in 2000 and studied for two years, then had a gap year and resumed in 2003/2004 a I then became pregnant, so had to stop study - so up I too 2004 I had received 2 full years of student loan and one payment for 2003/2004.
I applied again to complete course 2008/2009 and unfortunately due to a very messy divorce and subsequent depression,, I had taken on far too much attempting to resume studies, so had to stop again . I received first payment only.

Fast forward to 2016 and I am in a much better place, my child has started secondary school and I wish to carry on with my studies and finish my degree and go on to teach. I just want to know I'd before applying, I am entitled to any financial assistance. Thank you

Hi Lilneenz :smile:
Many thanks for your question. The support available to you could include Tuition Fees, Maintenance Loan, Adult Dependants Grant - up to £2757, Parental Learning Allowance - up to £1573 and Childcare Grant - up to £155.24 a week for one child.
The best advise I could offer would be to apply online. Often, we are able to award an additional year of funding to students who have failed to complete a previous course due to personal reasons on receipt of acceptable evidence. However, this could be addressed after you have submitted your application.
I hope the above is of assistance.
Take care
Emma x
Original post by Gem2015
Hi emma
What income threshold is the limit for parenting loan and childcare grant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Gem2015
Thanks for your question.
All applications for Grants for Dependants (Parents' Learning Allowance, Adult Dependants' Grant and Childcare Grant) are all assessed on an individual basis since everyone's circumstances can be so different. The amount you could receive is dependent on whether you are single, Living with or married to your partner, Under or Over 25 and whether your partner (if applicable) is also a student during the academic year.
You would be best to apply online to determine your entitlement. Once this has been determined, you are under no obligation to take up the offer of Student Finance.
Hope the above helps and apologies that I am not able to offer you a more precise answer
Original post by Caz27
Hi Emma, I'm quite new to all this, but I heard that from September 2016 we will no longer be able to get grants we will have to apply for loans. Is this correct?

Hi Caz27 :smile:
Many thanks for your post.
If you are a "New" student applying for Student Finance during the 2016/17 academic year, then Yes. You will be entitled to a Maintenance Loan, Tuition Fees and possibly Adult Dependants Grants (Parents' Learning Allowance, Adult Dependants Grant and Childcare Grant) but this will depend on your individual circumstances.
Why not take a look at our You Tube video? The link below will take you one of our new videos detailing the changes for the 2016/17 academic year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xTVoNI56xo
Hope the above is of assistance.
Take care
Emma :smile::smile:
Original post by jafli
Hi, does anyone know whether I am likely to be eligible for a childcare grant from SFE? I'm hoping to start adult nursing in september and have 5 children, 3 of whom I will need to pay for childcare with an average cost of £150 per week. My husband earns £30,500 per year(before tax). We currently get tax credits but won't be able to claim childcare costs through them as I won't be working. According to the nhs bursary calculator I will be eligible for a reasonable bursary and maintenance loan but childcare will more or less use all of that up if I can't get a childcare grant, can't find any info anywhere that shows what kind of thresholds are in place for childcare grant. Thanks in advance for any info anybody can give me. x

Hi Jafli :smile:
Thanks for taking the time to post. Apologies for the delay in responding but the page is running very slow this morning.
If you are studying an NHS course eg Adult Nursing and are not an NHS Secondee etc, you would only be entitled to a Reduced Rate Maintenance Lone from Student Finance. Any other grants would be provided by the NHS Grants Unit, Tel: 0300 330 1345.
I appreciate this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but I hope it will assist in clarifying the above for you.
Take care
Emma :smile:
Original post by hongqi
I am planning to apply the nursery for my daughter next year.
This independant (Exeter Cathedral school) is inspected by the Independent Schools' Inspectorate (ISI) who reported to the Department for Education. The ISI is the body approved by the Secretary of State for the purpose of inspecting school belonging to the Independant School Council Assosiations and reporting on compliance with the Education (Independant School Standards) (England) Regulations 2010.
I am currently entitled to get the childcare grant with an Ofsted Nursery. Am I Entitled to get childcare grant if we change to this independant school in the same circumstances next year?
Thanks in advance!

Hi hongqi :smile:
Many thanks for your enquiry. If your childcare provider is registered with any of the following; OFSTED, Independent Schools Inspectorate, Bridge Schools Inspectorate, Schools Inspection Service, Care Quality Commission, then yes, you would be eligible to apply for the Childcare Grant.

Hope the above helps
Take care
Emma x :smile:
Original post by snuvisol
Hi,
I'm 23. I was born 22th April 1992, so when I start the Uni I will be 24. (I'm applying this year). I came to UK in 2011 and originally I come from one of the EU countries.
I also have 2 year old child. I want to ask what I can get, am I get full loan for my studies (9000 per year) and what kind of grants will I get? When do I need to apply for student finance?

Good Morning Snuvisol :smile:
Thank you for your post. To be eligible for support, you will first need to meet our residency requirements. If you are successful, you will then be eligible to apply for Tuition Fees, Maintenance Loan and Grants for Dependants (Parental Learning Allowance - up to £1573, Adult Dependants Grant - up to £2757 and Childcare Grant - you can apply for up to 85% of your childcare costs, up to a maximum of £155.24 a week for one child)
For further information, take a look at some of our You Tube videos which you may find helpful. The links are below.

Student Finance changes for 2016/17 academic year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xTVoNI56xo

Childcare Grant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRBE6mlNsnQ&list=PL4wogSHG9Pv-VXvsLjoaWno6Q_BBW-ubw

Parents Learning Allowance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8GIPBg27vY&index=2&list=PL4wogSHG9Pv-VXvsLjoaWno6Q_BBW-ubw

EU Students (this is a video made for the 2015/16 academic year but may still be of assistance to you)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfVEaS2pO8Q&list=PL4wogSHG9Pv-TiepWd-EWC8TD8AjMJDXX

I would advise you to apply as soon as you are able so that you have your support in place before the start of your academic year.

Take care
Original post by suleymai
Hi Emma,
Im postgraduate international student. My wife lives with me in England and recently we knew that she is pregnant. I want to know, what kind of extra grants can I apply for?

Good Afternoon Suleymai :smile:

Thank you for your enquiry.
New students studying a Post Graduate course during the 2016/17 academic year are entitled to:

Up to a maximum £10,000 loan towards fees, maintenance costs or other costs, it will be up to your discretion which of these costs you choose to use the loan for.

The loan will be non-means tested, therefore not based on household income.

If you have a few spare minutes, please take a moment to watch our video for new student's studying a Post Graduate course during the 2016/17 academic year. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4wogSHG9Pv9gaq21--RAlwA0H7DgWSqh

Alternatively, please use the link below to take you to our PDF document:
http://www.slc.co.uk/media/6854/sfe_pgl_qg_1617_d.pdf

Hope the above helps

Take care
Original post by kirlou
Hi,
I have a 24+ loan in place ready to start my access course next week, i wondered if there was any other help i could get such as childcare/mainanence grants/loans?
If there is please can you point me in the right direction with links to apply or to forms.

Thanks
Kirsty

Hi Kirsty :smile:
Many thanks for your enquiry.
As you are studying an Access course, I would advise that you speak to your college / University for further information regarding additional help available to you.
Unfortunately, I am only able to offer assistance on support available to student's who are studying Higher Education courses and seeking funding from Student Finance.
Take care

Emma will be here again on Wednesday, 3-4pm to answer more of your questions.

Until then, visit our student finance zone for more information.

Latest

Trending

Trending