The Student Room Group

Electronics engineering apprenticeships

Are you interested in Electronic Engineering? Apprentice Max is here to answer your questions.

Max is an Electronic Engineering Apprentice for Science and Technology Facilities Council. He works with high speed, innovative and state of the art electronics, from single integrated circuits to huge data acquisition systems. These systems are used in scientific research all over the world.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey Max,

I hope you don't mind me posting up a few questions that we see coming up within the community quite a lot. I'll keep these to separate posts to make things easier!

Firstly... what attracted you personally to an apprenticeship? Did you consider university and either way, what made you go down the apprenticeship route?
Do you think an apprenticeship still have a stigma attached to it? Lots of students we speak still see it as a route that's not worth considering unless they miss their grades, when we know that shouldn't be the case. What opened your eyes to an apprenticeship?
Lastly (!) what do you think you've got out of doing an apprenticeship vs any other alternative? What's next for you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
how did you find out about the apprenticeship? was it hard to apply for?
Reply 5
How long does it last for? do you come away with it with any qualifications or is it purely experience?

I'm looking into a scientific apprenticeship, so would be good to hear more and how you came across the opportunity. Is a bit rude to ask how much you earn from it, but how 'comfortable' has it been on an apprentice wage. Is it short term pain, long term gain? or actually quite reasonable?
Original post by CJ
Hey Max,

I hope you don't mind me posting up a few questions that we see coming up within the community quite a lot. I'll keep these to separate posts to make things easier!

Firstly... what attracted you personally to an apprenticeship? Did you consider university and either way, what made you go down the apprenticeship route?

Apprenticeships appealed to me because I would be able to start doing what I enjoyed straight away. I would also be continuing to learn and gaining qualifications whilst also earning some money. It also appealed to me because the type of work I would be doing here at RAL really interested to me and I felt like I would be making a difference.

I did consider university and in fact stayed at sixth form to get my a levels however at the end of sixth form I realised I could go straight into my career whilst still learning and also earning. Unlike my friends I will not have the debt associated with Uni. These were the main reasons behind choosing the apprenticeship route.
Original post by CJ
Do you think an apprenticeship still have a stigma attached to it? Lots of students we speak still see it as a route that's not worth considering unless they miss their grades, when we know that shouldn't be the case. What opened your eyes to an apprenticeship?

I don't really think it still has the stigma, and if it does exist I've never experienced it. Whenever I have talked about my apprenticeship to anyone they are really amazed at the experience I'm getting. They also seem to agree that It's a no brainer choosing it over Uni.

It certainly isn't the case about not getting the grades,the apprenticeship I'm on required relatively high GCSE grades and I know that I went onto get my a levels but it certainly isn't the easy option and still needs the work putting in.

The things that opened my eyes to apprenticeships was that I would still get an opportunity to get a degree and continue to learn. I will also be gaining experience in the field which is what most employers are looking for and also at the same time I am earning money and not getting into thousands of pounds of debt.
Original post by CJ
Lastly (!) what do you think you've got out of doing an apprenticeship vs any other alternative? What's next for you?

I've definitely got a lot out of my apprenticeship so far!

I've gained lots of hands on experience with lots of varied work and jobs. I also have worked with lots of people around the site and got to know them. This will all help me in the future in whatever path I choose.

Ive got my L3 BTEC in Electronic engineering and starting this year I will be working towards my HNC. After I finish I will be given further opportunities to keep learning.

I personally feel that at Uni I wouldn't be getting the level of experience I am currently getting and also whilst probably being less qualified on paper I have the knowledge of working with people and in the industry.

In terms of what is next for me, I aim to get my HNC and complete my apprenticeship, I then hope to get a job offer somewhere on site and see where it takes me from there!
Original post by benlamb
how did you find out about the apprenticeship? was it hard to apply for?

I found out about my apprenticeship because fortunately I live locally to site and have heard about it through family members who work near by. I also know people who are older than me who are in the years above me who have chosen the same route.

But it is advertised on the website and apprenticeship websites.

It wasn't hard to apply for at all! First I had to submit a CV and a cover letter. After that I was invited for a round of testing which is to test manual dexterity and basic maths and english skills. After testing there was a technical interview about my chosen discipline (Electronics) where I talked about my experience and then a more generic interview about me personally. A couple of weeks after the interviews I got the offer!
University students will often talk about other things they learnt whilst at uni - "life skills" etc - what kind of skills do you think you've got out of being an apprentice that you either didn't think about beforehand, or have picked up just by doing an apprenticeship? Thanks!
(p.s. my brother went the apprenticeship route too, not something I was personally ever shown to be able to consider, but his experience was great and helped him walk into a job!)
Original post by GoF2016
How long does it last for? do you come away with it with any qualifications or is it purely experience?

I'm looking into a scientific apprenticeship, so would be good to hear more and how you came across the opportunity. Is a bit rude to ask how much you earn from it, but how 'comfortable' has it been on an apprentice wage. Is it short term pain, long term gain? or actually quite reasonable?

My apprenticeship is 4 years long. During the first year I was at college full time learning all three disciplines of engineering getting my NVQ whilst studying for the L3 Btec in Electronic engineering. In the second year I go back to the same college one day a week to finish off studying for the Btec and the 4 other days are spent on site working in different placements (roughly 6 month rotations). The third and fourth year you spend one day a week studying for the HNC qualification and again the other four days spent on site gaining experience for the other NVQ in Electronic engineering.

Hopefully that answers the question about qualifications too. Although I am gaining lots of experience I do still have the qualifications to compliment that.

I came across the opportunity because I live locally to the site but I too was interested in engineering apprenticeships and this is one of the best places to do so. Also the work they do on site in terms of science really interests me and I felt that by working here I would be making a difference.

The wages are comfortable and yes are fairly reasonable. Obviously I would prefer more but I think everyone feels the same! Ultimately you are right you do have to think long term and at the end of the apprenticeship I will hopefully be coming out with a job, respected qualifications and years of experience. The last two enabling me to earn higher wages.
Original post by CJ
University students will often talk about other things they learnt whilst at uni - "life skills" etc - what kind of skills do you think you've got out of being an apprentice that you either didn't think about beforehand, or have picked up just by doing an apprenticeship? Thanks!
(p.s. my brother went the apprenticeship route too, not something I was personally ever shown to be able to consider, but his experience was great and helped him walk into a job!)

I think by working in industry and in a working environment I have learnt important skills in terms of working to deadlines, working with external companies, solving engineering problems and so on. I definitely feel the industry experience will help me massively in the future and hold me in good stead.

Although I won't have the 'life skills' as such we went on an out of bounds trip with the other apprentices where we learnt to solve problems as a team and how to work effectively in teams. These skills are naturally picked up along the way and all help to do the job better ultimately.

Also although I won't be getting the experience of living away from home I've been able to become more independent with my money as I am now earning my own wages. Whilst also saving to buy a house in the future where I'll be living by myself anyway!
Thanks very much Max.

There's more from the Science and Technology Facilities Council through out the week, have a look at our calendar to find out what else is on.

Latest

Trending

Trending