The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, is there student loan funding for Social Work MA students this year?
Would also like to know the answer to this
Im currently doing a degree in Financial Economics at a London uni.

The degree is pretty easy and requires very little actual work tbh.
(That's not a joke btw.
As before this is spent 2 years doing a HND in public services, which actually required long essays, but for my currently degree 4 out of the 6 assignments were capped at 1 page of a4, so was very low work-load).

Anyways im gna be starting my 2nd year in October 2016.
However whilst I have a strong interest in economics, I know that I will never ever actually get a job as a stock-market trader for a hedge-fund or prop firm even if I got a 1st in this degree, since that job role no longer exists in the same way it did 10years ago.
(Traders have now all been replaced by computer nerds who just create, programme and maintain complex computer algorithms to do the trading, So nothing at all like how trading used to be, as the job is simply for programmers now).

And I have no interest whatsoever in working as an accountant or in the finance department of some kinda office.

So whilst I do enjoy the degree, and would like to obtain the qualification due to how good itd look on my CV, plus for the fact that im getting £7,500 per year from student finance,
I would now also like to do a different degree which would qualify me for a job that actually still exists! lol

I am quite interested in the job of an Occupational Therapist, have looked at the 2 London unis that offer a degree in occupational therapy,
and have used the NHS bursary calculator to check about funding for the degree.

They say the tuition fees are free, even if you already have a degree,
and everyone gets maintenance grant from NHS even if you have already gotten student finance money in previous years.
However the grant is only £5,000 per year, which is pretty crap tbh.

Im classed as ''a mature independent student'' since ive lived alone in privately rented flat since leaving age 18, and I work fulltime, so could theoretically afford to live on just my own salary + NHS 5k per year,
however I would much prefer to instead take on a different combination.

I have posted below the various combinations that I could do, ranked in order of my preference,
but if anyone could let me know which combinations id actually be allowed to do whilst still getting student finance money + NHS bursary at same time, id greatly appreciate that-

1) Economics degree (full-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (full-time) + Work full or part-time.

2) Economics degree (part-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (full-time) + Work full or part-time.

3) Economics degree (part-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (part-time) + Work full or part-time.

Thanks
I am a 34 yr old woman just left the armed forces after 12 years and i am looking to apply for uni in 2017. I intend to study Radiotherapy which is an NHS funded course. But as i have a mortgage to pay, i'm wondering what other funding is available to me if any? any help will be very much appreciated :smile:
So, a little background:
I made a rather silly decision to apply for the 6 year Medicine course as my 2nd university degree- figuring the funding would be the same as that of the 4 year graduate-entry course, NHS pays half for the first two years, SFE pays for half. I had already confirmed that I could do this if I were to apply for 4 year Medicine and assumed that the 6 year version wouldn't be any different. Then today I found out that we're expected to fund the first 4 years of our Medical degrees ourselves and obviously I've already used up all my SFE loans on my first degree.
I have 0 money, zilch, nada, zip. Both my parents died when I was young and I've been independent since then so savings aren't an option. How the devil am I expected to pay for this now :frown:? Any ideas?

And yes, I am aware of how stupid I am for not looking into this more sooner, no need to remind me :c
Reply 6
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me? :colondollar: I already have a Bsc Hons but would like to go onto study nursing. As I already have a degree will I have to apply for Msc or can I apply for the pre registration course? I have a nasty feeling that either way I won't qualify for the NHS Bursary or Student finance, is this the case?
Thanks in advance for your help, feeling really confused :banghead: x
I need a bit of help,
I am currently in university which is funded my student finance, but i am applying for a course which is NHS funded
Any idea what i would do about student finance?
Im not sure if im supposed to apply or change it if i get accepted
Reply 8
I am a German, a Nurse, a single parent with three dependent children all in school I intend to do Mental Health Nursing and I have lived in the UK since 1.11.14. My question is as an EU citizen, am i eligible for Loan, Grants and Bursuries while studying?
Original post by L J
Hi, is there student loan funding for Social Work MA students this year?

HiFor Social Work students there is still a postgraduatebursary scheme to help with tuition fees and living costs, more information aboutSocial Work Bursaries is available here http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/4860.aspx There are also postgraduate student loans available and youcan find more information about them here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21647-Postgraduate-Loans
Original post by carriewright_
Would also like to know the answer to this

Hi
For Social Work students there is still a postgraduate bursary scheme to help with tuition fees and living costs, more information about Social Work Bursaries is available here http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/4860.aspxThere are also postgraduate student loans available and you can find more information about them here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21647-Postgraduate-Loans
Original post by Spanish868
Im currently doing a degree in Financial Economics at a London uni.

The degree is pretty easy and requires very little actual work tbh.
(That's not a joke btw.
As before this is spent 2 years doing a HND in public services, which actually required long essays, but for my currently degree 4 out of the 6 assignments were capped at 1 page of a4, so was very low work-load).

Anyways im gna be starting my 2nd year in October 2016.
However whilst I have a strong interest in economics, I know that I will never ever actually get a job as a stock-market trader for a hedge-fund or prop firm even if I got a 1st in this degree, since that job role no longer exists in the same way it did 10years ago.
(Traders have now all been replaced by computer nerds who just create, programme and maintain complex computer algorithms to do the trading, So nothing at all like how trading used to be, as the job is simply for programmers now).

And I have no interest whatsoever in working as an accountant or in the finance department of some kinda office.

So whilst I do enjoy the degree, and would like to obtain the qualification due to how good itd look on my CV, plus for the fact that im getting £7,500 per year from student finance,
I would now also like to do a different degree which would qualify me for a job that actually still exists! lol

I am quite interested in the job of an Occupational Therapist, have looked at the 2 London unis that offer a degree in occupational therapy,
and have used the NHS bursary calculator to check about funding for the degree.

They say the tuition fees are free, even if you already have a degree,
and everyone gets maintenance grant from NHS even if you have already gotten student finance money in previous years.
However the grant is only £5,000 per year, which is pretty crap tbh.

Im classed as ''a mature independent student'' since ive lived alone in privately rented flat since leaving age 18, and I work fulltime, so could theoretically afford to live on just my own salary + NHS 5k per year,
however I would much prefer to instead take on a different combination.

I have posted below the various combinations that I could do, ranked in order of my preference,
but if anyone could let me know which combinations id actually be allowed to do whilst still getting student finance money + NHS bursary at same time, id greatly appreciate that-

1) Economics degree (full-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (full-time) + Work full or part-time.

2) Economics degree (part-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (full-time) + Work full or part-time.

3) Economics degree (part-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (part-time) + Work full or part-time.

Thanks

Hi there
You are not able to get funding to study two degree programmes at the same time. For students starting NHS funded courses in 2016 it is possible to get NHS bursary funding and a reduced rate maintenance loan for the course even if you have previous study or have done a degree already. If you are looking to start an NHS funded course from 2017 there are planned changes to the funding system which will mean funding will come from a student loan rather than a bursary, I do yet not know all the details of how that funding will work in relation to previous study.
Reply 12
Hello,
Please could you explain (in layman's terms - I am not very money-literate, e.g. is the NHS bursary in addition to the government paying some of the fees, or are they the same thing??) how funding works for graduate entry medicine?
I am a UK citizen, always lived here, took out a student loan for my first degree.
Thanks
Original post by monkee641
I am a 34 yr old woman just left the armed forces after 12 years and i am looking to apply for uni in 2017. I intend to study Radiotherapy which is an NHS funded course. But as i have a mortgage to pay, i'm wondering what other funding is available to me if any? any help will be very much appreciated :smile:

Hi there

From 2017 funding for Radiotherapy will be from the student loan system, I don’t yet have the details of exactly what the rates of loan will be in 2017 but you can take a look at the current student loans system to give you an idea of what is available. Funding for living costs comes from the Maintenance Loan and there is additional support you can apply for if you have a partner and/or children who are dependent on you financially http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=6463-Full-time-studentsAsKS5a1EFgabeg=6�ܐ"�
Original post by Rehnskjold
So, a little background:
I made a rather silly decision to apply for the 6 year Medicine course as my 2nd university degree- figuring the funding would be the same as that of the 4 year graduate-entry course, NHS pays half for the first two years, SFE pays for half. I had already confirmed that I could do this if I were to apply for 4 year Medicine and assumed that the 6 year version wouldn't be any different. Then today I found out that we're expected to fund the first 4 years of our Medical degrees ourselves and obviously I've already used up all my SFE loans on my first degree.
I have 0 money, zilch, nada, zip. Both my parents died when I was young and I've been independent since then so savings aren't an option. How the devil am I expected to pay for this now :frown:? Any ideas?

And yes, I am aware of how stupid I am for not looking into this more sooner, no need to remind me :c

Hi there,
It is a common misconception that the two courses are funded in the same way. On the 5 or 6 year course you are able to get a Maintenance Loan for the first 4 years (but not the tuition fee loan) and then, from year 5 onwards NHS bursary funding. Hopefully you are getting the Maintenance Loan?
Original post by Tierns
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me? :colondollar: I already have a Bsc Hons but would like to go onto study nursing. As I already have a degree will I have to apply for Msc or can I apply for the pre registration course? I have a nasty feeling that either way I won't qualify for the NHS Bursary or Student finance, is this the case?
Thanks in advance for your help, feeling really confused :banghead: x

Hi there

If you are starting in 2016 and you already have a BSc in a subject other than nursing you should be able to get funding for the undergraduate (pre registration) nursing programme from NHS Bursaries and a reduced rate Maintenance Loan from Student Finance England.
Original post by jodiee-ox
I need a bit of help,
I am currently in university which is funded my student finance, but i am applying for a course which is NHS funded
Any idea what i would do about student finance?
Im not sure if im supposed to apply or change it if i get accepted

Hi there

If you are going to be starting an NHS funded course next year you will need to let Student Finance England know you will be getting an NHS funding.

You may need to apply for student finance for your new course as a new student - phone Student Finance England for advice on what to do about that when you have a place on the new course.
Reply 17
I have been offered a place at John Moores University to study Adult Nursing, but I am unsure about how to apply for a bursary, maintenance loan and means tested. Also I am not sure when I should apply for this; because I am still waiting for an insurance choice from my other 4 universities.
Original post by Finda1963
I am a German, a Nurse, a single parent with three dependent children all in school I intend to do Mental Health Nursing and I have lived in the UK since 1.11.14. My question is as an EU citizen, am i eligible for Loan, Grants and Bursuries while studying?

Hi

It is difficult to answer this question without knowing more about your residency status, your current registration and the level of the course you will be studying, You should be able to get further advice from the university you are hoping to go to or from NHS bursaries during the session tomorrow at 3pm.

I'm sorry I can't help further.
Hi there new to this site so don't know how it works is there anyone doing a nq in health care level 5 ?
Original post by Student Money Week
Find out more about funding for NHS, social work and medicine course with Mo.

Mo Onyett is a Student Welfare Adviser at the University of York, an accredited member of the National Association of Student Money Advisors (NASMA) and was a director of NASMA from 2010-2014.

Latest

Trending

Trending