The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm studying... nursing

I'm interested in... nhs bursary and when to apply for student loans and bursaries etc my course start date is Feb 2017

My study level is... University undergraduate
Hi,

I've been lucky enough to be accepted into a PGCE in Queens University Belfast. I got the letter last week and now having sobered up a little I'm starting to wonder how on earth I'm going to support myself for an entire year (possibly more).

I graduated in 2010, I'll be 29 when the course starts, I haven't relied on my parents for financial help in years but (for various reasons) don't have as much savings I should have at this point in my life.

I need to pay fees,
I need to pay rent,
I need to maintain a car,
I need to EAT.

I understand I can get a loan for my fees, possibly a maintenance grant (? - how do I maximize this), maybe that'll get me £3000 but that won't even cover petrol.

As you can tell I'm panicking, anyone any advice?

PS. Why can the English get a bursary of up to £30,000 but there is nothing similar in Northern Ireland?
Reply 3
Hi,

I get the full maintanence grant from student finance because of my parents financial position, however today I got an additional payment from the HEI bursary people (according to my statement), I haven't applied for any bursary so is this a mistake?

Is it a loan and do I need to pay it back?

Im currently doing a degree in Financial Economics at a London uni.

The degree is pretty easy and requires very little actual work tbh.
(That's not a joke btw.
As before this is spent 2 years doing a HND in public services, which actually required long essays, but for my currently degree 4 out of the 6 assignments were capped at 1 page of a4, so was very low work-load).

Anyways im gna be starting my 2nd year in October 2016.
However whilst I have a strong interest in economics, I know that I will never ever actually get a job as a stock-market trader for a hedge-fund or prop firm even if I got a 1st in this degree, since that job role no longer exists in the same way it did 10years ago.
(Traders have now all been replaced by computer nerds who just create, programme and maintain complex computer algorithms to do the trading, So nothing at all like how trading used to be, as the job is simply for programmers now).

And I have no interest whatsoever in working as an accountant or in the finance department of some kinda office.

So whilst I do enjoy the degree, and would like to obtain the qualification due to how good itd look on my CV, plus for the fact that im getting £7,500 per year from student finance,
I would now also like to do a different degree which would qualify me for a job that actually still exists! lol

I am quite interested in the job of an Occupational Therapist, have looked at the 2 London unis that offer a degree in occupational therapy,
and have used the NHS bursary calculator to check about funding for the degree.

They say the tuition fees are free, even if you already have a degree,
and everyone gets maintenance grant from NHS even if you have already gotten student finance money in previous years.
However the grant is only £5,000 per year, which is pretty crap tbh.

Im classed as ''a mature independent student'' since ive lived alone in privately rented flat since leaving age 18, and I work fulltime, so could theoretically afford to live on just my own salary + NHS 5k per year,
however I would much prefer to instead take on a different combination.

I have posted below the various combinations that I could do, ranked in order of my preference,
but if anyone could let me know which combinations id actually be allowed to do whilst still getting student finance money + NHS bursary at same time, id greatly appreciate that-

1) Economics degree (full-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (full-time) + Work full or part-time.

2) Economics degree (part-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (full-time) + Work full or part-time.

3) Economics degree (part-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (part-time) + Work full or part-time.

Thanks
Heya, I've been looking all over the internet and to no avail i am still completely lost. (i'm sorry if this is in the wrong Board, i'm new xD)

I am a 21 year old who has a Level 3 BTEC in Art and Design which i passed when i was 18. I am now 21 and looking to return to college to take a Film-making course. It is an NRC college so there is so tuition fees.

I am looking into finance as i live in my own place and need some financial support to live basically. I receive housing benefit and job seekers atm (trust me i'd rather not be) I've been stuck in a vicious circle of crappy jobs and i have decided to return to school for both my future and security.

Problem is, i have no idea what to even apply for. I was always on EMA so it was easy enough to handle. Now there are loans, grants, bursaries and so many more things. Is me repeating a qualification i already have going to be a problem? Is my eligibility for benefits going to help? What am i actually entitled to? (Which funds can i even receive)

I just called Student Finance and they said they couldn't help me as i have to be doing a Level 4 to receive anything from them.

Who do i call? What do i apply for? Omg any help would be extremely appreciative as i cannot go to school if i can't afford my rent. Kinda pointless don't you think? Thank you so much everyone <3

(Sorry if this makes no sense i'm completely scatterbrained.)
Hi guys,
So basically, I moved out of my parents home for reasons that I won't go into now. I am living with a friend, and I was just wondering if I would qualify for any bursaries or grants? My parents household income is above the limit for any financial help, but there is no way that they would give me any money or help and I no longer live with them, and personally my earnings aren't a lot.

Thank you! 😊
I am an Architecture and Planning university student and wanting to go to Art or Architecture or Design related summer school in Europe this year. Does anyone have any advices or suggestions which school to go to? Does anyone also know any informations about bursaries and grants for it?

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply 8
Hello,

I currently have a conditional offer for Mechanical Engineering (foundation year) at BCU. My mum is a single parent and earns around £13,000 per year (this includes child support tax ect..). Without a 'top up' on her money from the government she earns around £5000 wages. I am the first to go to university in my family and i am from Tipton. I plan to live away in Birmingham City accommodation.

My trouble is coming from the amount of money I could be entitled too. My teacher says I'm eligible for more #(bursaries) as I am from a low privileged background and I'm the first to go to university.

Any help on this and a breakdown would be great. Thank you
Reply 9
Hi guys, anyone knows how much bursary nursing student gets in N.I??
Original post by abbiedev
I'm studying... nursing

I'm interested in... nhs bursary and when to apply for student loans and bursaries etc my course start date is Feb 2017

My study level is... University undergraduate

Good Morning

Many thanks for your enquiry, unfortunately I am not able to give you information with regards to the NHS bursary. However there is a live webchat called "Funding for NHS courses" between 3pm-4pm, I would advise you to post your question there.

Rainu :smile:
Original post by Joanna.D
Hi guys, anyone knows how much bursary nursing student gets in N.I??

Good Morning Joanna

I hope you are well. Unfortunately I am unable to say how much bursary a nursing student would receive. I would ask you to post this question to an expert in the webchat called "funding for NHS courses" which will be held between 3pm-4pm.

In the meanwhile have you had a look at this website for further information?

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/816.aspx

Thanks
Original post by daholt2
Hello,

I currently have a conditional offer for Mechanical Engineering (foundation year) at BCU. My mum is a single parent and earns around £13,000 per year (this includes child support tax ect..). Without a 'top up' on her money from the government she earns around £5000 wages. I am the first to go to university in my family and i am from Tipton. I plan to live away in Birmingham City accommodation.

My trouble is coming from the amount of money I could be entitled too. My teacher says I'm eligible for more #(bursaries) as I am from a low privileged background and I'm the first to go to university.

Any help on this and a breakdown would be great. Thank you

Good Morning

Congratulations on your conditional offer for Mechanical Engineering at BCU!

You would need to submit an application to Student Finance England to see what Loans and Grants you would be eligible for. You're University may also have additional support on top of this that you can apply for, you would however need to contact them directly. You could contact them on 0121 331 5595 to discuss further or click on the link below

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info/finance-and-money-matters/financial-support

Original post by leayvenne
I am an Architecture and Planning university student and wanting to go to Art or Architecture or Design related summer school in Europe this year. Does anyone have any advices or suggestions which school to go to? Does anyone also know any informations about bursaries and grants for it?

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello

Unfortunately I am unable to help with your enquiry. Have you spoke to your University with regards to any bursaries or grants to support this exciting opportunity

Thanks

Rainu
Original post by Gigi2612SMILE
Hi guys,
So basically, I moved out of my parents home for reasons that I won't go into now. I am living with a friend, and I was just wondering if I would qualify for any bursaries or grants? My parents household income is above the limit for any financial help, but there is no way that they would give me any money or help and I no longer live with them, and personally my earnings aren't a lot.

Thank you! 😊

Hey

At this specific college we have a Student Opportunity Fund. You are able to apply for this providing you have applied for the maximum student loans/grants available from SFE. If you are still showing to be in hardship we would support with additional non-repayable grant which can be used towards living costs etc. However you would need to contact the University you are attending or considering to attend to see if they have something similar

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Thanks

Rainu
Original post by Lhayluiine
Heya, I've been looking all over the internet and to no avail i am still completely lost. (i'm sorry if this is in the wrong Board, i'm new xD)

I am a 21 year old who has a Level 3 BTEC in Art and Design which i passed when i was 18. I am now 21 and looking to return to college to take a Film-making course. It is an NRC college so there is so tuition fees.

I am looking into finance as i live in my own place and need some financial support to live basically. I receive housing benefit and job seekers atm (trust me i'd rather not be) I've been stuck in a vicious circle of crappy jobs and i have decided to return to school for both my future and security.

Problem is, i have no idea what to even apply for. I was always on EMA so it was easy enough to handle. Now there are loans, grants, bursaries and so many more things. Is me repeating a qualification i already have going to be a problem? Is my eligibility for benefits going to help? What am i actually entitled to? (Which funds can i even receive)

I just called Student Finance and they said they couldn't help me as i have to be doing a Level 4 to receive anything from them.

Who do i call? What do i apply for? Omg any help would be extremely appreciative as i cannot go to school if i can't afford my rent. Kinda pointless don't you think? Thank you so much everyone <3

(Sorry if this makes no sense i'm completely scatterbrained.)

Good Morning

Please do not panic, the majority of your questions would depend on what course you would be enrolling on and the level.

For example If you are applying for a college course, I would refer you to the college's Student Support Team. They would be able to offer you Financial Assistance to help towards course costs, transport, fees etc. As you are in receipt of JSA this course could potentially be free.

If you are looking at a degree course then you would need to apply for the loans and grants from Student Finance England & see if there was any additional help from your University

You would then be able to look at how much you would potentially be eligible for and see if studying is financially viable.

Thanks

Rainu
Original post by Spanish868
Im currently doing a degree in Financial Economics at a London uni.

The degree is pretty easy and requires very little actual work tbh.
(That's not a joke btw.
As before this is spent 2 years doing a HND in public services, which actually required long essays, but for my currently degree 4 out of the 6 assignments were capped at 1 page of a4, so was very low work-load).

Anyways im gna be starting my 2nd year in October 2016.
However whilst I have a strong interest in economics, I know that I will never ever actually get a job as a stock-market trader for a hedge-fund or prop firm even if I got a 1st in this degree, since that job role no longer exists in the same way it did 10years ago.
(Traders have now all been replaced by computer nerds who just create, programme and maintain complex computer algorithms to do the trading, So nothing at all like how trading used to be, as the job is simply for programmers now).

And I have no interest whatsoever in working as an accountant or in the finance department of some kinda office.

So whilst I do enjoy the degree, and would like to obtain the qualification due to how good itd look on my CV, plus for the fact that im getting £7,500 per year from student finance,
I would now also like to do a different degree which would qualify me for a job that actually still exists! lol

I am quite interested in the job of an Occupational Therapist, have looked at the 2 London unis that offer a degree in occupational therapy,
and have used the NHS bursary calculator to check about funding for the degree.

They say the tuition fees are free, even if you already have a degree,
and everyone gets maintenance grant from NHS even if you have already gotten student finance money in previous years.
However the grant is only £5,000 per year, which is pretty crap tbh.

Im classed as ''a mature independent student'' since ive lived alone in privately rented flat since leaving age 18, and I work fulltime, so could theoretically afford to live on just my own salary + NHS 5k per year,
however I would much prefer to instead take on a different combination.

I have posted below the various combinations that I could do, ranked in order of my preference,
but if anyone could let me know which combinations id actually be allowed to do whilst still getting student finance money + NHS bursary at same time, id greatly appreciate that-

1) Economics degree (full-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (full-time) + Work full or part-time.

2) Economics degree (part-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (full-time) + Work full or part-time.

3) Economics degree (part-time) + Occupational Therapy degree (part-time) + Work full or part-time.

Thanks

Good Morning

Unfortunately I am unable to answer your questions with regards to the NHS bursary.

Please post this question in the "funding for NHS courses" between 3pm-4pm. Hopefully an expert will be able to answer your questions on what combination is best for you whilst receiving Student Finance & the NHS bursary :smile:

This website may be helpful if you haven't already seen this:

http://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/selfnhsukokb/AskUs_SB/template.do?name=Am%20I%20eligible%20for%20an%20NHS%20Student%20Bursary%3F&id=18143

Thanks
Original post by jbrd
Hi,

I get the full maintanence grant from student finance because of my parents financial position, however today I got an additional payment from the HEI bursary people (according to my statement), I haven't applied for any bursary so is this a mistake?

Is it a loan and do I need to pay it back?

Good Morning

Please check the letter for contact details, speak to them directly to confirm whether this is a mistake or not. They will be able to answer any further questions you have

Thanks
Original post by HandMeDown
Hi,

I've been lucky enough to be accepted into a PGCE in Queens University Belfast. I got the letter last week and now having sobered up a little I'm starting to wonder how on earth I'm going to support myself for an entire year (possibly more).

I graduated in 2010, I'll be 29 when the course starts, I haven't relied on my parents for financial help in years but (for various reasons) don't have as much savings I should have at this point in my life.

I need to pay fees,
I need to pay rent,
I need to maintain a car,
I need to EAT.

I understand I can get a loan for my fees, possibly a maintenance grant (? - how do I maximize this), maybe that'll get me £3000 but that won't even cover petrol.

As you can tell I'm panicking, anyone any advice?

PS. Why can the English get a bursary of up to £30,000 but there is nothing similar in Northern Ireland?

Hello

Congratulations on being accepted on to a PGCE course at the Queens University Belfast. You can apply to Student Finance England for a loan for the tuition fees, maintenance loans and maintenance Grants. Please refer to the SFE website for more information

You may be able to apply for additional support/bursaries/grants through the University, so please contact them for further information on this. I found this link that may be helpful to you:

http://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/sgc/finance/StudentSupport/

Thanks

Rainu
Reply 19
This live webchat has now ended. A huge thank you to Rainu in doing a great job and answering all the questions submitted. And thanks to all those who got involved.

Check our SMW calendar - www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=13375-Student-Money-Week - and see whats on the rest of the week.

Latest

Trending

Trending