The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So I have a confirmed place at BU to study as an undergraduate starting this Sept, as I deferred from last year.

I also am a lone parent and my child's under 1 years old. I know it's not the easiest option and there's OU and I can always go back to uni when she's older etc. But in my mind and after considering all options thoroughly I know this is what I should do.

I know what I would get Student Finance-wise, with the tuition and maintenance loans and possibly the childcare and PLA. But would I get help with Housing Benefit and Child Benefit/Tax credits still as a student or would they 100% be stopped?

Also I'll be 20 when I start in September.
im a second year student going to drop my course. If i want to start a new course from level 1 i don't think i will get the Β£9000 in tuition fees for the first year, but would i still be able to apply for maintenance loan?
Reply 3
I think i'll be going for pharmacy so I wanted to ask what you guys think I will need?
i.e besides the ever important laptop....
does anyone use binders? for each course or just one general one?
also any stationary that you think is helpful would be good to know...
Also is a laptop bag easier to carry around (the sling ones etc.) or do most uni kids use bag packs ?

Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Student Money Week
As a current university student Ben will be answering any questions you have about what you need to take to university.

Ben is a Maths student at the University of Surrey. He is currently on a placement year, working for the student recruitment team at the university.

Do students have to bring their own pots, pans, plates, cutlery etc?
Reply 5
Hi

I will be going to uni in September and I have a general list of things I need to take but I was wondering if there's anything which I might need to take with my that you wouldn't initially think of? Also do you recommend bringing everything you need from home or is it a better idea to buy some of the stuff when you get to the uni?

Thanks
Original post by 12284

Yes you do. Stuff like toasters and a kettle are supplied; but you need to bring your own pots, pans and cutlery.

You also need to consider the fact that you're going to come with far more stuff.
Hello,

On my University's webpage about accommodation, it says linen is included. It also says rooms are cleaned on request once a week.

I've heard other University guides say you need to bring your own bed sheets and duvets, etc, so do I have to do that at my one where 'linen is included'?

Thanks!
Original post by sookie17
I think i'll be going for pharmacy so I wanted to ask what you guys think I will need?
Also is a laptop bag easier to carry around (the sling ones etc.) or do most uni kids use bag packs ?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for the question!

Yes, students do use binders and other folders, I prefer to have one for each module but it is whatever works best for you. Other stationary you need is pens, pencils and probably a calcualtor.
Yes, most students have bags, again it is what is best for you, if you are going to be carrying your laptop around a lot then that is probably best.
I would recommend not buying too much before you start, then leaving it a couple of weeks and see what you actually need and what will be most helpful and useful to you and then go and buy it.

I hope that helps answer your question :smile:

Ben
I was wondering would I get away with bringing my travel hob in from home to make things like pasta, bacon sandwiches etc (thinks you do on a hob), for my room in halls?

I would use the kitchen but its disgusting and the hob is covered in tabacco and grease. Every time I clean it, it gets dirty again within a couple days and I'm always the only one to clean it!

I already have my own kettle and toaster in my room haha, wondering if I could add to that. :tongue:
Reply 10
What's the wifi like in the dorms? I've applied to Winchester, Worcester and Southampton. Looking for an idea on the wifi if possible?
Hi:smile:

I'll most likely live on campus my first year, but the off-campus the three others. Is there a way I can bring my dog with me from Norway to any off-campus residence my second year? I am applying to Bath, Durham, Bristol, Southampton, and Queen Mary if that makes any difference.

Also, would it be possible for my dog to live with someone else off campus (I'll take care of him and pay for everything ofc) during my first year? I can leave him home the first year, but I would prefer to bring him.
Original post by superdan_
I was wondering would I get away with bringing my travel hob in from home to make things like pasta, bacon sandwiches etc (thinks you do on a hob), for my room in halls?

I would use the kitchen but its disgusting and the hob is covered in tabacco and grease. Every time I clean it, it gets dirty again within a couple days and I'm always the only one to clean it!

I already have my own kettle and toaster in my room haha, wondering if I could add to that. :tongue:

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I really would not recommend bringing a travel hob from home due to it being a fire hazard in your room. Also I would not advise having untested toasters and kettles in your room again due to health and safety reasons and I don't think your accommodation team would be too happy about it either.

Please be safe

Ben
Original post by anonymous_1995
im a second year student going to drop my course. If i want to start a new course from level 1 i don't think i will get the Β£9000 in tuition fees for the first year, but would i still be able to apply for maintenance loan?

Hi,

It depends on how many years of studying you have done. Altogether you are entitled to 4 years of funding, so if you have already done 2 years you are only entitled to another 2 years which won't cover the new degree you are doing.

I would recommend calling the Student Finance England team on 0300 100 0607 to get more information.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Ben
Reply 14
What is the one thing that you must take with you when moving house? An old photograph, a cuddly toy, a certain DVD, a loyal room plant ;-) ??!
Original post by sarahk13
So I have a confirmed place at BU to study as an undergraduate starting this Sept, as I deferred from last year.

I also am a lone parent and my child's under 1 years old. I know it's not the easiest option and there's OU and I can always go back to uni when she's older etc. But in my mind and after considering all options thoroughly I know this is what I should do.

I know what I would get Student Finance-wise, with the tuition and maintenance loans and possibly the childcare and PLA. But would I get help with Housing Benefit and Child Benefit/Tax credits still as a student or would they 100% be stopped?

Also I'll be 20 when I start in September.

Hi,

This is a very unique situation and these sort of cases are reviewed on a case by case basis, I would recommend giving Student Finance England a call on 0300 100 0607 and also calling the Housing Beneift and Child Benefit/Tax Credit and ask for their advice.

Ben
Original post by 12284

Hi,

Yes, in most cases students have to supply their own pots, pan, cutlery etc. I would recommend checking with your university first though.

Ben
Original post by JesArm96
Hi

I will be going to uni in September and I have a general list of things I need to take but I was wondering if there's anything which I might need to take with my that you wouldn't initially think of? Also do you recommend bringing everything you need from home or is it a better idea to buy some of the stuff when you get to the uni?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I would recommend following the list of things you have been given, this should include pots, pans, cutlery for the kitchen, sheets and bedding, stationary and a laptop. You may want to bring some home comforts as well when moving away from home.

I hope that answers your question and good luck starting university!

Ben
Original post by similarBlank
Hello,

On my University's webpage about accommodation, it says linen is included. It also says rooms are cleaned on request once a week.

I've heard other University guides say you need to bring your own bed sheets and duvets, etc, so do I have to do that at my one where 'linen is included'?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

This is something you will need to check with your university. Most universities require you to bring your own bedding etc. but some may provide it for you. I would recommend giving the university you are going to a call or an email and asking them.

Ben
Original post by sookie17

Thanks!

I think binders are useful, but for stuff like that I'd wait to buy it til you are at uni as you don't want to have to take tonnes with you.

Original post by 12284

Usually yes, but check with your accommodation team as I stayed in one halls where these were provided (they were grim though so tbh I'd take my own anyway!)

Original post by superdan_

Don't do this. You shouldn't even have a kettle & toaster in your room as you will probably get in trouble if the staff find out about this. A hob is even worse and a big fire hazard...

Latest