The Student Room Group

Use of anonymous in the medicine forums

Hey guys,

You may have noticed there is a new function in the current medical students and Doctor's forum: the ability to anonymise posts.

We have introduced this in order to aid any med students/ doctors who want to seek advice on issues of professional conduct or worries about their current performance without the post being linked to them.

This is NOT:
* for applicants to ask questions about applying.
* a place to seek medical advice (the health forum is the place to do that).
* for seeking academic help or asking for explanations of a topic
* posting any content that is against forum rules

Please remember although you will be posting anonymously the same rules of confidentiality apply (see below). Please do not identify specific trusts, staff members or patients.

Guidance on use of social media

Both the GMC and the BMA have released guidance on the use of social media by medical students and doctors. These both emphasise the importance of maintaining confidentiality, detailing that doctors and medical students should not discuss individual patients or their care. In addition, social media should not be used to bully, harass or make gratuitous, unsubstantiated or unsustainable comments about individuals online. Defamation law can apply to any comments posted on the web made in either a personal or professional capacity.

A good rule of thumb is presented in guidance from the BMA:

BMA Social Media Guidance
Appropriate discussions of patients and practice
While discussion about patients and clinical experiences amongst colleagues online can have botheducational and professional benefit, informal discussion about patients on public internet forums shouldbe avoided. It would be particularly inappropriate for medical professionals to make personal or derogatorycomments about their patients or colleagues. Even where doctors or medical students post anonymouslyand are confident that what they say will not breach patient confidentiality, they should consider how suchcomments will reflect on themselves as physicians or future doctors and bear in mind the potential impactthey could have on the public’s trust in the medical profession as a whole.

Doctors and medical students should be conscious of their online image and how it may impact on their professional standing. The use of this feature does not allow doctors and medical students to skirt the high standards expected of public communication from members of the medical profession.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ForestCat
Hey guys,

You may have noticed there is a new function in the current medical students and Doctor's forum: the ability to anonymise posts.

We have introduced this in order to aid any med students/ doctors who want to seek advice on issues of professional conduct or worries about their current performance without the post being linked to them.

This is NOT:
* for applicants to ask questions about applying
* a place to seek medical advice (the health forum is the place to do that).

Please remember although you will be posting anonymously the same rules of confidentiality apply. Please do not identify specific trusts, staff members or patients.

How anonymous is anonymous? i.e. do mods/admins have access to the usernames/IP addresses etc? Cheers!
Reply 2
Original post by visesh
How anonymous is anonymous? i.e. do mods/admins have access to the usernames/IP addresses etc? Cheers!

They don't misuse it, it's only for when the users misuse the anonymous function and are reported for it that that is necessary :h:

Basically it'll never be leaked who posts anonymously.
Reply 3
Original post by visesh

The medicine support team (i.e. myself, Beska, Neostigmine) can see which user posts it, as can the section leaders and community team (i.e. TSR staff). The support team are still limited to only seeing the user's normal profile, whereas the CT can access all the info you signed up with and can see IP addresses but can
't 'trace' them.

Realistically, unless the posts break any major rules, the only members of the team who will actually see any threads (and thus know which users post it) are the medicine support team members and we're not going to do anything with the information.
Every time I post it seems to tick anonymous for me automatically and I have to actively un-tick it, so I keep making accidental anon posts... is this just my browser being a pain in the behind? :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by seaholme
Every time I post it seems to tick anonymous for me automatically and I have to actively un-tick it, so I keep making accidental anon posts... is this just my browser being a pain in the behind? :frown:

Nope, thats just the way the anon feature works. Its designed so you don't accidentally reveal yourself if you set up a thread anonymously, but is a bit of a pain in longer threads.
Nope, thats just the way the anon feature works. Its designed so you don't accidentally reveal yourself if you set up a thread anonymously, but is a bit of a pain in longer threads.

It's a real pain in the TSR Med Student Thread in particular.
We need a feature that allows you to stop this box from being automatically ticked.

For example:

Post 1 - You want to post anonymously
Post 2 - This post is defaulted to anonymous as well - good.

Later on in the thread, you may want to post like normal (especially in very large threads).

You should be able to select the option [Unmark all future posts from being automatically anonymous in this thread]
Reply 7
Original post by Lionheartat20
It's a real pain in the TSR Med Student Thread in particular.
We need a feature that allows you to stop this box from being automatically ticked.

For example:

Post 1 - You want to post anonymously
Post 2 - This post is defaulted to anonymous as well - good.

Later on in the thread, you may want to post like normal (especially in very large threads).

You should be able to select the option [Unmark all future posts from being automatically anonymous in this thread]

That is something you need to take up with the community team in the feedback threads.
I think the problem is the anon function is the same, site wide. So it automatically defaults to anon (if you've posted anonymously in a thread) to stop people people accidently 'outed' afterwards. Annoying for us in medicine, but useful elsewhere.
Reply 8
I think it would make sense if there were a pop-up to confirm whether you want to post anonymously or not :yep:
Original post by Alexion
I think it would make sense if there were a pop-up to confirm whether you want to post anonymously or not :yep:

No because then the pop up will glitch out and appear all the time.
everyone will start complaining about it like they have done already :wink:
Original post by hezzlington
No because then the pop up will glitch out and appear all the time.
everyone will start complaining about it like they have done already :wink:

True dat :lol:

I'm no longer getting the option for posting anonymously in the Current Medics forum. Is there a problem with it?

(Sorry, I searched for an "Ask a Moderator" button or thread or something similar, but couldn't find one, so I have quoted you instead.)
Reply 12
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I'm no longer getting the option for posting anonymously in the Current Medics forum. Is there a problem with it?

(Sorry, I searched for an "Ask a Moderator" button or thread or something similar, but couldn't find one, so I have quoted you instead.)

Sorry for the delay. Should be fixed now, can you confirm the option has returned for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending