The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Saving has its place but so does spending, investing and debt. No point in having 50k in the bank for years as its slowly going in reverse.
25 - 100k+

tip: don't invest in a pension.
Original post by Bill_Gates
25 - 100k+

Why such a wide range?
Reply 83

Christ, what poor advice!
25 - 100k+

So true considering how many people go way too soon nowadays I think I will be lucky to see 65. Too many people nowadays I know have hit 55 already and their health has already deteriorated so poorly. Not to mention the government who will probably change pension rules in the future which means those who put in could suffer. The future no one knows
Original post by ineedtorevise127
So true considering how many people go way too soon nowadays I think I will be lucky to see 65. Too many people nowadays I know have hit 55 already and their health has already deteriorated so poorly. Not to mention the government who will probably change pension rules in the future which means those who put in could suffer. The future no one knows

Average life expectancy continues to increase, that's poor logic.

While i'd want more control over my pension investment the tax benefits make it pretty worthwhile.
Original post by Rakas21
Average life expectancy continues to increase, that's poor logic.

While i'd want more control over my pension investment the tax benefits make it pretty worthwhile.

So just because some people are living to 80 plus does not mean you will... It is so common nowadays to get illnesses such as cancer, heart attacks, stroke not to mention other death related e.g. Accidents which keep going up every year
16 and £2000+.
I'm 25 and have about £2000 saved. Plus £600 in my 2 year old's savings account (long term, which he'll get when he's 21). I'm not really in a position to save much more right now being a lone parent. Start uni in September, hopefully I'll be able to save some of my student loan and get a better job after so I can afford to save more.
Reply 90
I have quite a lot saved, but that's because my Granny invested a large amount of money for me when I was little. I only got access to it when I turned 18 though. I plan on saving it up for a house deposit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Savings: £48K

How/Tips:
I've been working full time since I was 17 and I've also earned a lot from matched betting.
I have completely sacrificed my social life, rarely go out which allows me to save more money. Keep my outgoings to a minimum. I love at home and don't pay rent which has been a massive help! My main three points would be time, investment and sacrifice.
Dont go to uni unless you know exactly what you want to do and that your degree will help you in your chosen career path.
Because I had three years experience of work when my friends finished uni I was on a salary of 27K at the age of 21 whereas my friends who had just graduated are on anything between 18 - 21K.
Original post by *Incognito

Savings: £48K

How/Tips:
I've been working full time since I was 17 and I've also earned a lot from matched betting.
I have completely sacrificed my social life, rarely go out which allows me to save more money. Keep my outgoings to a minimum. I love at home and don't pay rent which has been a massive help! My main three points would be time, investment and sacrifice.
Dont go to uni unless you know exactly what you want to do and that your degree will help you in your chosen career path.
Because I had three years experience of work when my friends finished uni I was on a salary of 27K at the age of 21 whereas my friends who had just graduated are on anything between 18 - 21K.

What do you work as?

Have to admit that my old friends around that age had similar experiences in terms of my friends that never went to university being £5-10k higher by age 22 than the university counterparts.
16 and have £1000 in my bank.

But like £250 of that was from my bursary. Some of it (No idea how much) was from my grandad(I think) before he died.
The rest I guess I got from all the birthdays and Christmases over the years. Never had a "proper" job. But I may have "earned" some of it.
Original post by Rakas21
What do you work as?

Have to admit that my old friends around that age had similar experiences in terms of my friends that never went to university being £5-10k higher by age 22 than the university counterparts.

I'm a recruitment consultant, I have a basic salary plus 50% commission!
I'm a recruitment consultant, I have a basic salary plus 50% commission!

I have always wondered what a recruitment consultant does? Also what sort of experience or qualifications do you need?
I have always wondered what a recruitment consultant does? Also what sort of experience or qualifications do you need?

They place people in jobs. Money is made by charging the company who they're recruiting for a % of the hire's salary for the first year or a flat fee. The more that are placed, the more they make.

The only qualification you need is to be a solid salesperson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
They place people in jobs. Money is made by charging the company who they're recruiting for a % of the hire's salary for the first year or a flat fee. The more that are placed, the more they make.

The only qualification you need is to be a solid salesperson.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay thanks for the clarification how much is the salary basic without bonuses and commissions
Oh okay thanks for the clarification how much is the salary basic without bonuses and commissions

It depends on your experience etc. There's no a standard basic salary.
It's normally between 15-25k to begin with. I'm on 27K basic salary, I started on 19K three years ago.
The commission also varies, I get a really good 50% commission but I know others in the industry who have a bigger basic salary (say 30k), but only get 10% commission and so on.

The only down side I've experienced with commission is that it's not counted towards your annual income of you're applying for a mortgage as its not guaranteed money. For instance, I'm on a basic of 27k but I bring home about 40-50k a year but on my mortgage forms I can only say I earn 27k a year. Which kinda sucks!
It depends on your experience etc. There's no a standard basic salary.
It's normally between 15-25k to begin with. I'm on 27K basic salary, I started on 19K three years ago.
The commission also varies, I get a really good 50% commission but I know others in the industry who have a bigger basic salary (say 30k), but only get 10% commission and so on.

The only down side I've experienced with commission is that it's not counted towards your annual income of you're applying for a mortgage as its not guaranteed money. For instance, I'm on a basic of 27k but I bring home about 40-50k a year but on my mortgage forms I can only say I earn 27k a year. Which kinda sucks!

Woah, that's really high for a fresh grad! What sort of work experience did you have to have beforehand to get you the entry role into the consultant job?

Latest

Trending

Trending