The Student Room Group

Questions about Physics IA

I'm in the process of doing my IA and I have some questions regarding the IA (others are welcome to post their own questions here, ofc :biggrin:)

- How should I structure my IA? Is there a general structure, should I set it up according to my teacher (except he hasn't told us anything lol) or should I just figure that out on my own?
- How do I get the best grade possible?
Yeah the IA is basically a 6-12 page long lab report, so for me I'd so a structure roughly like
Introduction/background - Hypothesis - Apparatus needed - Procedure - Data presentation/observations - Data analysis - Evaluation with uncertainty analysis - Conclusion - Bibliography
but there are examples online I believe, so you could use them as a reference too. To get the highest mark possible, just make sure you've fully followed the marking criteria, e.g. think of an original idea or design the experiment by yourself (there are personal engagement marks allocated), present the data appropriately, use concise language with correct scientific terms (you get penalized if you're not "concise" enough and exceeds the 12-page limit), etc..
Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Annasuccia
Yeah the IA is basically a 6-12 page long lab report, so for me I'd so a structure roughly like
Introduction/background - Hypothesis - Apparatus needed - Procedure - Data presentation/observations - Data analysis - Evaluation with uncertainty analysis - Conclusion - Bibliography
but there are examples online I believe, so you could use them as a reference too. To get the highest mark possible, just make sure you've fully followed the marking criteria, e.g. think of an original idea or design the experiment by yourself (there are personal engagement marks allocated), present the data appropriately, use concise language with correct scientific terms (you get penalized if you're not "concise" enough and exceeds the 12-page limit), etc..
Hope this helps

I had my teacher help me choose an experiment as I am far from a physics expert, so I just have the whole "ball rolling down an incline" thing for my IA. I'm guessing it's fine that it isn't original as long as I can come up with something to fulfill the personal engagement criteria, right?
Original post by rachgb
I had my teacher help me choose an experiment as I am far from a physics expert, so I just have the whole "ball rolling down an incline" thing for my IA. I'm guessing it's fine that it isn't original as long as I can come up with something to fulfill the personal engagement criteria, right?

Sure, I mean it's hard to have an entirely original idea to do an experiment anyway. The point is that you need to show you have "significant independent thinking", according to the marking criteria. Make sure your version of "ball rolling down" is different from the textbook version by adding some personal touch to it, make up some reasons how you are personally interested in investigating this particular physical phenomenon, and show how you've considered why and how this or that is so, to demonstrate you have that "curiosity". I'm sure you'll be fine!
Have a look at ibessays.org/blog: physics-guide-ia on how to structure the Physics IA.

(Seperated link due to :tongue: that shows up)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending