The Student Room Group

Struggling to attract attention....

Hello guys,

I am a final year politics student on course to get a 2:1 and I have been extremely motivated about forging myself a career after I graduate.

I am part of two societies, bilingual (Somali being my other language), articulate, good with people, do not get nervous in public settings and work great in a team. However, I have had no luck with applications at all with a 100% rejection rate, I have never even had an interview for a paid job before and I am wondering what it is I am doing wrong.

I know my lack of experience is going to affect me in my search for a job and I am doing my best to get experience, including volunteering with the Citizens Advice Bureau and the British Heart Foundation.

Any advice on how I can make myself stand out and make sure I can create the career I so desperately want?
Original post by Hamsey45
Hello guys,

I am a final year politics student on course to get a 2:1 and I have been extremely motivated about forging myself a career after I graduate.

I am part of two societies, bilingual (Somali being my other language), articulate, good with people, do not get nervous in public settings and work great in a team. However, I have had no luck with applications at all with a 100% rejection rate, I have never even had an interview for a paid job before and I am wondering what it is I am doing wrong.

I know my lack of experience is going to affect me in my search for a job and I am doing my best to get experience, including volunteering with the Citizens Advice Bureau and the British Heart Foundation.

Any advice on how I can make myself stand out and make sure I can create the career I so desperately want?

Whilst you are still at university go and make the most of your university careers service- show them your CV, the structure and content can make a difference and get advice on how to write a cover letter/answer competency questions - better still show them a past application you've done and they can help you know where you have gone wrong.

I can only give generic advice as to why people aren't successful in getting interviews, including
-Spelling & grammar mistakes
-CV/Covering letter not tailored
-Poor structure
-Don't meet essential criteria

Obviously I have no idea if any of the above apply to you.
Original post by Hamsey45
Hello guys,

The lack of paid work experience will be your biggest problem. The volunteering will help, but you will have to stick at it long term to make a difference. In my experience, recruiters will always pick the applicant with experience compared to the applicant without experience- they want someone who has a proven track record of being reliable and who will hopefully be aware of workplace norms.

Being a member of a society is not really relevant to most employers, and speaking Somali is only a benefit if it is a job where speaking Somali might be useful on occasion.

If there is a particular field you want to work in, look at doing some unpaid work experience to try and get your foot in the door- you may even find a good work placement will lead to a job. If nothing else, it will give you a recent reference in your field, and this may well help you stand out from other graduates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending