The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
jonnythemoose
:awesome: Well, I'm actually only travelling through - I'm from Rochdale (Greater Manchester) originally, so I'm going to visit relatives there. But I have to go through Manchester and get the tram and all that crazy jazz. Look out for a talking moose around 7-8pm :p:

I won't be there :sad:
I have an Arab girls party (it's gonna be awesome and I don't have the right to miss it because they're actually not gonna wear any scarves and I want to see what they look like with proper hair :teeth:)
Reply 81
mécanique
I'm coming to the end of my year abroad now and I wish I could start all over again!

So a few thoughts

As I'm sure you realise, in Mexico or Senegal you will really pick up the accent. Both are very cool (I think!) but may well not be what you're after? Then you have to question whether you want the European experience, or something a bit more daring perhaps.

My only experience of the 5 Spanish cities is Zaragoza where I'm just finishing up now. I would absolutely recommend it for Erasmus, not just a biased point of view but it really ticks all the boxes...for me at least. But I've only got hearsay on the other four, good reports from people in Granada though.

As for France, I'm with you on Toulouse, it's the only choice that jumps out at me. Lyon could be a good bet as well though but personally I like living in quite big cities so I wrote off a lot of the smaller places straight away. I'd like to go to Corsica but I don't think I'd choose it for an Erasmus.

PM for more if you want it :biggrin:

Personally I would like to stick to Europe, that's always been where my heart is.
Zaragoza is deffinately going up in my expectations after having researched it a bit.
Did you spend the whole year there?
If I do decide on this one, I might just take up your offer and send you a PM with any questions I have, thanks for that.

I think my choices for France are just so vast that it is difficult to pick anything out really, I'll be spending much of the summer just researching this haha!
Hmm I like the city vibe too, and a few seem to be far too small for my tastes but on the otherhand this would really push me to intergrate with locals which is really the aim. I dont want to just be surrounded by other Erasmus students.

Anatheme
Maaaan, you can go to IEP Rennes :zomg:
Basically, it's within the university of Rennes, but it's much much more prestigious and difficult to get in (when you're French). You'll study Politics rather than anything else, but it's a mix of Economics, History, Politic, languages, and stuff. Rennes is an absolutely amazing city, not too big, very lively and in a lovely region. Rennes II is… Ok, I wouldn't risk it 'cause they may blockade the uni again for aaaages. I see that you're interested in Toulouse, I lived there a couple of years and it was ok, I must say I really dislike the accent they have.

Ahhh see I didn't know that IEP Rennes was a good one, thanks for the heads up.
I did a quick google search and apparently only 8-10% of applicants get in. Would it be as competative for foreign students do you think?
The course does sound really interesting, but I be worried that my Spanish would suffer with a course thats so intense.
I will have to look into what the region is like too, because I dont know much about it.

The only reason that I'm drawn to Toulouse is that I had such a great time when I visited there (Well we spent most of our time in Montauban but they dont have a university). So I would love to go back and visit my friends again and relive it all. and they have direct flights to gatwick which is so easy for me.... though not what sould be to of my list of factor really.

Thanks again evryne for your input, I really appreciate it and will repay the favour when I've had my year abroad.
Anatheme
I won't be there :sad:
I have an Arab girls party (it's gonna be awesome and I don't have the right to miss it because they're actually not gonna wear any scarves and I want to see what they look like with proper hair :teeth:)

Haha

Oh my God, Marion, Manchester is so big and scary. I had to walk from Piccadilly to Victoria because nobody told me the tram was out of service, and my train required that I get the tram! Anyway I had no idea where I was going, and Manc is a lot bigger than I remembered it! But I made it in the end, and got to Rochdale on time, so phew! :cool:
megan28
Ive been loking at the list of placement savailable to me, for French and Spanish and I just dont even know where to begin with deciding!

Heres the choices I have...
Spain:
Seville
Granada
Zaragoza
Salamanca
Murcia

Mexico:
Universidad de Veracruzana
Universidad de Yucatan, Merida

France:
U de Caen
U du Havre
U de Pau et des Pays de l’Adour
U Robert Schman de Strasbourg
U de Toulouse II-Le Mirail
U de Corte Pascal-Paoli
U Lumiere-Lyon II
U de Poiters
IEP Rennes
ENISE, St. Etienne
U Franche-Comte
U de Provence
U de Rennes II

Belgium:
U de Mons-Hainaut

Senegal:
U Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar

If any one has views on the above, it would be fantastic if you could share with me.
At first views I wantto go to Toulouse and Granada, just because I like the cities.

Granada is consistently ranked as one of the best Erasmus experiences. I'm going there next semester. :top:
I'd like to hear from anyone that spent their year abroad in Latin America, or somewhere equally far away, like Quebec :smile:
Reply 85
jonnythemoose
I'd like to hear from anyone that spent their year abroad in Latin America, or somewhere equally far away, like Quebec :smile:

Don't go to Quebec, they don't speak real French, lol
Anatheme

Haha I'm not; I told you, I'm going somewhere hispanophone :biggrin:
jonnythemoose

What do you want to know?
I'm off to Munich on Saturday :woo:
Brotherhood
What do you want to know?

Anything really; whether it was a positive experience, whether you'd do it again, any regrets...what you did out there, etc. :smile:
Reply 90
I know this thread hasn’t been commented on in a while was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

Those of you who have spent a year abroad, how did you find the first few days?

I’m studying at Groupe Sup de Co La Rochelle but I’m living about 20 mins from the uni. Where I am there is a beach, a bus stop, a train station and lots and lots of holiday homes. As there were a lot of problems with my accommodation I accepted this one at the last minute just to have somewhere to live that I could afford!

I guess I must be homesick. My parents drove me down and left yesterday and I was just in my flat on my own all day with nothing to do cos nothing is open in France on a Sunday!!!

French TV is not the best, and I’ve only just managed to get a decent wireless adapter to improve my signal for Internet. Today I went out on my bike but as I’m so far from the actual town the only thing I’ve seen is the beach. Another problem is that no one else has moved in yet (its holiday lets in the summer), uni doesn’t start until Wednesday so I have to occupy myself for another day! My flatmate isn’t moving in till the 11th!!

I don’t know if its boredom, or the fact that I miss my parents and boyfriend but I keep crying at little things, like today I went on the bus and didn’t understand that I needed to validate my ticket or that the French press a button to stop and ended up going way further than I needed to!

It’s just suddenly hit me that all this is real, my parents won’t be able to just come get me and I can’t just pick up the phone!

Will these feelings go? I think it’s just that I’m waiting around for uni to start and once it does I’ll be busy with 101 things to sort out. Will the year abroad get better, and start going faster? And do any of you who have dealt with these feelings wish you had known anything in hindsight!
Reply 91
Anatheme

Quebecois ! :love:
sourcesgal
I know this thread hasn’t been commented on in a while was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

Those of you who have spent a year abroad, how did you find the first few days?

I’m studying at Groupe Sup de Co La Rochelle but I’m living about 20 mins from the uni. Where I am there is a beach, a bus stop, a train station and lots and lots of holiday homes. As there were a lot of problems with my accommodation I accepted this one at the last minute just to have somewhere to live that I could afford!

I guess I must be homesick. My parents drove me down and left yesterday and I was just in my flat on my own all day with nothing to do cos nothing is open in France on a Sunday!!!

French TV is not the best, and I’ve only just managed to get a decent wireless adapter to improve my signal for Internet. Today I went out on my bike but as I’m so far from the actual town the only thing I’ve seen is the beach. Another problem is that no one else has moved in yet (its holiday lets in the summer), uni doesn’t start until Wednesday so I have to occupy myself for another day! My flatmate isn’t moving in till the 11th!!

I don’t know if its boredom, or the fact that I miss my parents and boyfriend but I keep crying at little things, like today I went on the bus and didn’t understand that I needed to validate my ticket or that the French press a button to stop and ended up going way further than I needed to!

It’s just suddenly hit me that all this is real, my parents won’t be able to just come get me and I can’t just pick up the phone!

Will these feelings go? I think it’s just that I’m waiting around for uni to start and once it does I’ll be busy with 101 things to sort out. Will the year abroad get better, and start going faster? And do any of you who have dealt with these feelings wish you had known anything in hindsight!

Aww :hugs: I know exactly how you feel cos I was like that when I got to Germany. During the first few days before I started work I felt quite homesick and found it really scary. It's normal to feel like that though and I think the feelings should pass and everything should pick up when you get more into it and have more things to do. You can feel homesick at any time really but I found it got easier once I was working and knew more people.
Is your internet not good enough to use Skype? Can you text people?
Reply 93
hannah_dru
Aww :hugs: I know exactly how you feel cos I was like that when I got to Germany. During the first few days before I started work I felt quite homesick and found it really scary. It's normal to feel like that though and I think the feelings should pass and everything should pick up when you get more into it and have more things to do. You can feel homesick at any time really but I found it got easier once I was working and knew more people.
Is your internet not good enough to use Skype? Can you text people?

Yeah I have skype and msn - use both to talk to my parents and have a UK mobile contract that allows me 400 texts a month to the UK.

Generally think it was boredom as today I'm quite upbeat looking forward to uni starting 2moz, think I'll be quite busy being bombarded with paperwork :smile:

I do know 4 people from my uni here, but the 2 I'm closest to have been placed quite far away. Is it better to aim for something to look forward to? My boyfriends sister is getting married so I'm going back to England in 22 days so all I keep thinking about is one day closer till I get to see him :smile:
sourcesgal
Yeah I have skype and msn - use both to talk to my parents and have a UK mobile contract that allows me 400 texts a month to the UK.

Generally think it was boredom as today I'm quite upbeat looking forward to uni starting 2moz, think I'll be quite busy being bombarded with paperwork :smile:

I do know 4 people from my uni here, but the 2 I'm closest to have been placed quite far away. Is it better to aim for something to look forward to? My boyfriends sister is getting married so I'm going back to England in 22 days so all I keep thinking about is one day closer till I get to see him :smile:

Definitely make the most of skype, msn and your phone. I used to call home a lot.

That's good, although paperwork isn't that fun!

I imagine you'll meet a lot more people though. How long are you out there for? Hope it goes well tomorrow :smile: I'd definitely try and aim for something to look forward to. I think that was my problem at first because I didn't know when I could go back for a while.

Latest

Trending

Trending