The Student Room Group

Gay cake row and freedom of speech

Just like the government can not arrest you for saying something political the government should not be able to force you to endorse/reproduce a set of political beliefs.

TSR is not obliged to host antisemitic holocaust deniers. TSR denies these users this site's service, not because they are gay/black/white, but because the owner/owners of the site have decided to exercise their right to not to have to pass on the politics of these people and display it on this forum.

Lets pretend a gay cake maker is approached by a bigoted anti-gay campaigner and who wants a cake that say "gays will go to hell" (it isn't illegal to say that) for some far right Christian/Muslim event. Should the gay baker be obliged to carry out that request? I'd day no and I hope the law does as well.

Just like with freedom fo speech you have to defend for the views you hate, the same applies here. So you should not be allowed to refuse service to someone purely because they are gay. But that doesn't mean you should have to provide a service to further some kind of political statement, which gay marriage is.

Basically the right to free speech should also includes the right not to be compelled to say things against our will.

I don't really know what the legal reality is but that is how I think it should be.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gosh, how many times do we have to say this.

One is directly discriminatory and insulting (ie saying homosexuals will burn in hell, or saying Nazi were right or whatever), while the other is not. It seeks neither to degrade nor to insult, but rather qualify the rights of one particular group.

Hence, in the former case, people are trying to flame, mock or insult others, while in the latter case they are not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
Gosh, how many times do we have to say this.

One is directly discriminatory and insulting (ie saying homosexuals will burn in hell, or saying Nazi were right or whatever), while the other is not. It seeks neither to degrade nor to insult, but rather qualify the rights of one particular group.

Hence, in the former case, people are trying to flame, mock or insult others, while in the latter case they do not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You understood the OP? :s-smilie:
I'm like what the **** is a gay cake.
Reply 3
Original post by mango peeler
Damn. I ain't even smoke weed yet and this OP has me ****ed up completely.

You understood the OP? :s-smilie:
I'm like what the **** is a gay cake.

Lol :biggrin:

It's a recent court case in Ireland...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol :biggrin:

It's a recent court case in Ireland...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao ohh thanks, I don't know anything about Irish news :nah:
What's this about then?
What's this about then?

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3340997
Reply 6
What's this about then?

Basically the above, yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers.

_______

Ok so now the religious groups that feel discriminated against, if they do, should sue. I agree it's undermining religion. That's a defensible and sensible statement. If they did it on the grounds of their religion, it should be accepted. And not just some random refusal like if a public school denies gay..whoever, students, employees, parents, janitor lol then it's wrong because you're not doing it for any precise reason. If it's a religious school it makes sense to deny it :s-smilie:

Imagine if you were apart of any entity that held a certain belief, and someone then sued you for it :lolwut:
Basically the above, yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok I responded :colone:
Would anyone here want to be sued for their beliefs? Come on. Ridiculous. Forget about the specific details of who is who. The simple principle is ****ing stupid to sue for their beliefs. Suing over a cake, gtfoh.

They probably went into a place they know is Christian and asked for that wording to stir **** up so they could sue and exercise or demonstrate these burgeoning gay rights.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Just like the government can not arrest you for saying something political the government should not be able to force you to endorse/reproduce a set of political beliefs.

TSR is not obliged to host antisemitic holocaust deniers. TSR denies these users this site's service, not because they are gay/black/white, but because the owner/owners of the site have decided to exercise their right to not to have to pass on the politics of these people and display it on this forum.

Lets pretend a gay cake maker is approached by a bigoted anti-gay campaigner and who wants a cake that say "gays will go to hell" (it isn't illegal to say that) for some far right Christian/Muslim event. Should the gay baker be obliged to carry out that request? I'd day no and I hope the law does as well.

Just like with freedom fo speech you have to defend for the views you hate, the same applies here. So you should not be allowed to refuse service to someone purely because they are gay. But that doesn't mean you should have to provide a service to further some kind of political statement, which gay marriage is.

Basically the right to free speech should also includes the right not to be compelled to say things against our will.

I don't really know what the legal reality is but that is how I think it should be.

Would you be happy for a baker to refuse to bake a cake saying 'Happy Eid' for a Muslim group or 'Happy Hanukkah' for a Jewish group?
Reply 11
Would anyone here want to be sued for their beliefs? Come on. Ridiculous. Forget about the specific details of who is who. The simple principle is ****ing stupid to sue for their beliefs. Suing over a cake, gtfoh.

They probably went into a place they know is Christian and asked for that wording to stir **** up so they could sue and exercise or demonstrate these burgeoning gay rights.

The thing is that it's not about the beliefs per se. They refused to sell the cake because of the message, which did not mention any religion whatsoever. It simply read "pro-gay marriage".

Now, this did not mean to insult anyone or anything, it simply read a message. It would be different if it read "Christians suck" or whatever, but it did no such thing which basically mocked someone.

As far as this goes then, it's a business governed by law. They are free of course to believe whatever they want, but this was discriminatory: it's obvious from their statements that they wouldn't refuse any other regular bride and groom cake, since this would not go "against their religious beliefs".
Original post by Lady Comstock
Would you be happy for a baker to refuse to bake a cake saying 'Happy Eid' for a Muslim group or 'Happy Hanukkah' for a Jewish group?

lmao it's a cake. You always try to perversely reverse things. It's not the same thing. Even if it is, it's over a cake. Realize you're taking cake print too seriously. It's a cake.
lmao it's a cake. You always try to perversely reverse things. It's not the same thing. Even if it is, it's over a cake. Realize you're taking cake print too seriously. It's a cake.

I'm not saying the situation is analogous to this in terms of racial segregation, but the same sort of logic (attempting to minimise the debate due to the subject matter) could have been said about Rosa Parks' bus: "it's just a bus!". That's immaterial.
Reply 14
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I like gays and I like cake. How can this even be an issue?
The thing is that it's not about the beliefs per se. They refused to sell the cake because of the message, which did not mention any religion whatsoever. It simply read "pro-gay marriage".

Now, this did not mean to insult anyone or anything, it simply read a message. It would be different if it read "Christians suck" or whatever, but it did no such thing which basically mocked someone.

As far as this goes then, it's a business governed by law. They are free of course to believe whatever they want, but this was discriminatory: it's obvious from their statements that they wouldn't refuse any other regular bride and groom cake, since this would not go "against their religious beliefs".

Lol no. Pro gay marriage is very antagonizing. Just say "We're Getting Married, Tom and Richard" or whoever. Pro Gay marriage for a cake at an unsaid wedding for a gay marriage :hmmm: (we can only assume this is what the cake was for, but it's still ridiculous because I'm sure the two people getting married know they're pro gay already. It looks like something someone would say like a skinhead walking by a group of Muslims saying, "White power!"

They never said, "**** Muslims" they just taunted with white power! Can you arrest or sue them for that? I'm sure you can start some **** over it. But the "message" as you say is there. So the offense is there. And if the Muslims want to ban the skinheads from coming to the shop lol they can and will. And no problem.

So if the Christian establishment wants to ban the gays from coming in taunting their Gay Power the same a skinhead would indirectly war mong with "pro gay!" on a cake...:hmmm: makes sense to me, think about it.

This was not discriminatory. Of course on TSR people will pass by and anonymously rep considering the demographic, I've been on here long enough to know what's popular thinking and what isn't. But in the real world this is ridiculous. It's a passive aggressive almost contrived way ( contrived because of how silly it is and how it got ruled and how it's "news" etc) to set an example of gay rights. It's turning into Gay nazism. People can't even defend their beliefs anymore without trouble. It's a double standard. It's hypo-****ing-critical. To say it's ok to sue someone for their beliefs...for turning away business for their beliefs. It is about the belief per se lol. It's literally about the belief. There is no respect for religion so their principles were disregarded completely. How is that cool? That's not ok.
Original post by Lady Comstock
I'm not saying the situation is analogous to this in terms of racial segregation, but the same sort of logic (attempting to minimise the debate due to the subject matter) could have been said about Rosa Parks' bus: "it's just a bus!". That's immaterial.

Lmao you did it again trying to create analogies when you said it's not analogous...
Original post by JPO92
I like gays and I like cake. How can this even be an issue?

But do you like gay cakes? :holmes: lol

I bet there's a hashtag gay cake already goings-on. Isn't there. Not even gonna google to find out. This is just how people are.
I just can't believe people think that freedom of speech still exists...
Lmao you did it again trying to create analogies when you said it's not analogous...

No, I suggested that it's fallacious to disregard an argument merely because of the subject matter, whether a bus seat or a cake.

The argument itself should be addressed (and I happen to think the court's decision was wrong - they should have been allowed to refuse to bake the cake), and not disregarded because it involves something trivial, like a cake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending