The Student Room Group

University acceptance

I'm currently in 5th year and haven't applied to go to university afterwards but i do plan on going after 6th year. I'm thinking about studying english or politics or history - something of that sort, and i'm wondering what the terms are to be accepted to unis in general?

I'm currently working towards achieving 4 highers this year, English, Modern Studies, History and Maths and wish to get an A in all of then but im aiming for a B in maths. What worries me is, when i get to 6th year and apply to uni i'll still have to do a lot of work to be accepted since higher maths isn't related to what i want to do. In an ideal world, a unconditional offer would be amazing, but am i right in saying that if i come out of 5th year with my 4 highers and i'm in 6th year perhaps working towards a couple more higher and maybe an advanced higher that i won't get an unconditional offer?

Also, would having more highers make me more eligible for a uni course? Like would they favour someone with 6 or 7 highers even if they requirements where 4 or 5
Original post by alana_p
I'm currently in 5th year and haven't applied to go to university afterwards but i do plan on going after 6th year. I'm thinking about studying english or politics or history - something of that sort, and i'm wondering what the terms are to be accepted to unis in general?

I'm currently working towards achieving 4 highers this year, English, Modern Studies, History and Maths and wish to get an A in all of then but im aiming for a B in maths. What worries me is, when i get to 6th year and apply to uni i'll still have to do a lot of work to be accepted since higher maths isn't related to what i want to do. In an ideal world, a unconditional offer would be amazing, but am i right in saying that if i come out of 5th year with my 4 highers and i'm in 6th year perhaps working towards a couple more higher and maybe an advanced higher that i won't get an unconditional offer?

Also, would having more highers make me more eligible for a uni course? Like would they favour someone with 6 or 7 highers even if they requirements where 4 or 5

I wouldn't worry about maths being irrelevant: it's a well respected course. I think people tend to over exaggerate the importance of doing subjects that sound related to the course. If a subject is important then it will be mentioned on the admission page! For the courses you mentioned, doing English and one or two social subjects should suffice. The subjects for the rest of your highers won't matter nearly as much as the grade you get in them. Unless your doing something like higher photography (no offence to higher photography students) the unis won't care. If you exceed the entry requirements for a course then your likely to be made an unconditional offer. While doing as many subjects as possible is generally good, there comes a point when doing any more is superfluous and a waste of time. Doing something crazy like 10 highers wont give you a significant advantage over someone with 5 good highers. Universities will take into account that not all schools operate the same policy on the number of subjects that can be taken in a given year. The point is you'll more than likely get an unconditional offer if you meet the entry requirements and submit a decent application (although some unis can be stingy with offers).
Reply 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending