The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Is Hertfordshire good for Film & Television Production?

I couldn't make it to an open day of so I would really appreciate any opinions on the Film & Television course!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I can't tell you much about the Film & Television course as I've applied for Animation. However the two courses are in the same building (correct me if I'm wrong). I know that there are many great facilities as well as fab industry links (something Herts seems really keen on). I have attended an open day and in terms of the campus itself I couldn't really ask for much more. The new accommodation is brilliant and everything seems very well laid out. Also, you're only 20 minutes (by train) outside of the heart of London which, I assume, is very valuable when studying something like Film & Television. This means you are easily able to create a network outside of university life which will help you launch your career in the industry once you graduate. In terms of nightlife and culture, Hatfield itself isn't brilliant but as mentioned before, you are so close to London that it hardly seems like an issue.

Of course, I'm not the best person to be replying to your post but I thought I'd put in my two cents :smile: Good luck with your decisions (I'm in the same boat and I know it's not easy!) :biggrin:
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
hi! I'm a first year doing film & television, so far it's been good. You do three main pieces in first year, including a 3 minute documentary, 3 minute drama and a 10 minute live panel show. you're put into groups for first year which gives you a chance to mingle, and you choose your roles (producer, director, DOP, sound rec/mix, set design/lighting, editor/AD, script etc).only downside to Herts is that it's in hatfield. but the course is great! the lecturers are amazing, all work in the industry and some know some pretty damn famous people and worked on their films. Herts is close to Elstree studios which is great- you get to see a live show in first year and also get the opportunity to attend Cannes festival with the university first year as well! if you have any more questions, please ask!:smile:
Original post by helenloraine
hi! I'm a first year doing film & television, so far it's been good. You do three main pieces in first year, including a 3 minute documentary, 3 minute drama and a 10 minute live panel show. you're put into groups for first year which gives you a chance to mingle, and you choose your roles (producer, director, DOP, sound rec/mix, set design/lighting, editor/AD, script etc).only downside to Herts is that it's in hatfield. but the course is great! the lecturers are amazing, all work in the industry and some know some pretty damn famous people and worked on their films. Herts is close to Elstree studios which is great- you get to see a live show in first year and also get the opportunity to attend Cannes festival with the university first year as well! if you have any more questions, please ask!:smile:

That sounds great! I know you've not done the whole year yet but do you think most students are able to find work experience? Also do you ever collaborate with 2nd and 3rd year students? I know you said you can do directing in the group projects but when I looked at the modules there didn't seem to be much of a focus on it and I was just wondering if there is opportunity to study it? Sorry I know I'm asking a lot of questions haha
(edited 8 years ago)
you can do a placement year, but I think most work experience is applied for on your own time outside of university. there have been a few work experience fairs, the last one was a few weeks ago and we were visited by Sky and Warner Brothers. WB had work experience for second years only, but Sky offers it for first years.
For collaborating, we often get emails from tutors letting us know about projects that 2nd&3rd year students are doing, all you have to do is go! also, there are a few events where you can meet the older students and through that way you are effectively networking; so they'll ask you to run and their own projects too.
directing: we haven't had a directing module this year, no, but that might come in the future or with guest lectures
sorry for the late reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending