The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The amount of faiya brought into this thread. OP, I take none of your subs but how do you revise? No offence but at this point 4 Us is really worrying.
Original post by Ishea16
ill tell you something thats even more likely
youre a troll or a psychopath

or both:biggrin:

how about you reply to what i said before:wink:

Stop using the word troll incorrectly.
Learn the definition of psychopath - using words in a wrong manner makes you look daft.

I replied to what you typed.
Original post by kelseyanne9876
yes please!!! thank you for clearly understanding my message and not patronising me x

You're welcome

I don't see what the problem is here and why people are getting so heated over this

EDIT: I just sent you a PM full of things I would recommend to do from now to your exams.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just ignore the non constructive people.

Take a step back and realise its done, but it could eb a good thing becayse its alerted you to a situation that you still have some time to do soemthing about.

1. Work out why your grades were so poor. That means talking to your teachers. If you get grades that low it means your answers are very poor, so its going to eb a mix of not having enough knowledge, not understanding the issues or what they want, no constructing answers thats cored marks.

2. Be honest with yourself and work out how much you feel you undestand the subjects, How much revision did you do? You obviously have some idea of what you expected.

3. Depending where you fall on the above then work out a plan as to how you intend to improve things. Is it going to be possible? Are you prepared to do what is needed?

At this late stage its going to be very difficult to get top grades, but then if you ahve Uni place or required grades to get thats the target.

If you are so far behind where you need to be, then consider talking to your teachers and moving back a year. I know it may seem like it at your age that a year is forever, but it really isnt. Discouraging, but if you apply yourself then its possible to turn things around. You just have to figure out whether you have enough time and ability. Take advice.
Original post by maximum_entropy
Stop using the word troll incorrectly.
Learn the definition of psychopath - using words in a wrong manner makes you look daft.

I replied to what you typed.

erm i do know the definition and youre the perfect example
saying hurtful things makes you look like like a loser

i didnt get anything how about you type it again:rolleyes:
IM NOT INCAPABLE, IF I WAS UNABLE TO WORK HARD AND DO ALEVELS I WOULDNT BE POSTING FOR HELP AND ADVICE. I DO WELL WITH CONTENT TEST IN CLASS AND DOING TEST AND A SUBJECT WE LEARNT A FEW AGO. i just cant seem to get the motivation to go over everything THIS IS WHY I AM ASKING FOR HELP!

Ignore the #H8rz m9. You HAVE to push yourself. I don't really know of anyone who enjoys going over everything but you have goals and dreams and the only person you'll be letting down by not achieving them is yourself! Perhaps make a sheet with all goals out, pin it up in your room or somewhere, or as many places as it can remind you. Reward yourself for the small steps, because if you wait on the "OMG FROM U TO A" step, it won't come (not saying you won't achieve it, saying if you don't start small you're dancing in a bottle top). So chin up, not the end of the road, shut the asswipes out. Good luck
Original post by Ishea16
erm i do know the definition and youre the perfect example
saying hurtful things makes you look like like a loser

i didnt get anything how about you type it again:rolleyes:

No you obviously do not know the definition. I know its probably a new word to you (and it has become all the rage to label people you disagree with as that word) but you have not understood the meaning. That much is obvious.

As far as I know I replied to all your posts.
IM NOT INCAPABLE, IF I WAS UNABLE TO WORK HARD AND DO ALEVELS I WOULDNT BE POSTING FOR HELP AND ADVICE. I DO WELL WITH CONTENT TEST IN CLASS AND DOING TEST AND A SUBJECT WE LEARNT A FEW AGO. i just cant seem to get the motivation to go over everything THIS IS WHY I AM ASKING FOR HELP!

Part of working hard and doing well is doing exams.
I would be worried by saying you cant motivate yourself becayse thats an indication you didnt out the work in.

If you want to do well, then you have to be one of the lucky ones who are very very bright or the majority who have to put time and effort into revising and understanding. If you cnat do it yourself, then you have to talk to your teachers, but no matter what anyone says if you arent prepared to put the work in then things will not improve.

Maybe there are different ways of studying? homework clubs, extra hours lessons, see if your parents can afford a tutor, aske for extra assignments etc.
Original post by 999tigger
Part of working hard and doing well is doing exams.
I would be worried by saying you cant motivate yourself becayse thats an indication you didnt out the work in.

If you want to do well, then you have to be one of the lucky ones who are very very bright or the majority who have to put time and effort into revising and understanding. If you cnat do it yourself, then you have to talk to your teachers, but no matter what anyone says if you arent prepared to put the work in then things will not improve.

Maybe there are different ways of studying? homework clubs, extra hours lessons, see if your parents can afford a tutor, aske for extra assignments etc.

Exactly. This isn't some knowledge only the few possess. It's bloody common sense.
No you obviously do not know the definition. I know its probably a new word to you (and it has become all the rage to label people you disagree with as that word) but you have not understood the meaning. That much is obvious.

As far as I know I replied to all your posts.

no its not a new word, and i have come across many people like you
point is you you cant say to someone that theyre going to fail

and i didnt get anything, so ill just post the same thing so you cant dodge it:h:

cant get A* at AS:teehee:it doesnt, not yet anyway, it depends what you get at the end:h:i dont think id call myself academically less capable with 8A* 2A at GCSE although they were a lot easier but..this is much harder we are been assessed on A2 stuff now while a few months ago we were in GCSE land if you are doing AS you will understand or you cant judge tbh,so not getting 4/5 A's(:biggrin:) half way through the year is no proplem the thing is what you do next and how you improve from there:h:
Original post by Ishea16
no its not a new word, and i have come across many people like you
point is you you cant say to someone that theyre going to fail

and i didnt get anything, so ill just post the same thing so you cant dodge it:h:

I didn't say that. I see you need to learn reading comprehension as well. Go back and read what I actually typed.

cant get A* at AS:teehee:it doesnt, not yet anyway, it depends what you get at the end:h:i dont think id call myself academically less capable with 8A* 2A at GCSE although they were a lot easier but..this is much harder we are been assessed on A2 stuff now while a few months ago we were in GCSE land if you are doing AS you will understand or you cant judge tbh,so not getting 4/5 A's(:biggrin:) half way through the year is no proplem the thing is what you do next and how you improve from there:h:

Which does nothing to negate the fact that 4U's is scary. And someone getting 4U's at this stage is in deep trouble. Even doing little to no work a smart kid would still get A's and B's with this low level material. So they either aren't that good to begin with or they are just academically incapable. Telling them it is going to be alright in the end is just leading them down the primrose path in all likelihood.

There needs to be realism here - not this silly idea it's all going to be great.
Reply 51
I got 12% in my S1 mock back in AS because I spent half the exam time drawing a graph iirc. it ended up being my best A level module, I got A* in maths, went onto a Russel Group Uni for Maths with stats as my best subject. I didn't do great in my other AS mocks either: U in chem, D in Physics and possibly an E in Econ. In AS I ended up getting an E in chem (U's in the exams pulled by coursework), A in Physics and C Econ.

I dropped Econ and Chem and took up the whole further maths A level in the second year. Without any retakes I got A*BB, that was with a C in my Physics coursework pulling me down plus I happened to get a U and an E in my actual FP2 and 3 exams.

I was rather unlucky on the physics coursework front I believe but it wasn't something I could appeal. So nearly ended up with A*A*B.

What you can take from this is the fact that things can improve but decisions need to be taken to maximise your grades. For motivation you should choose the subjects you are most interested in and also a reasonable ability. You that you do well in class generally so that is something to build upon. Now you need to identify why you are not answering exam questions well, one subject at a time.

From your mocks as a starting point go through question by question trying to answer it again and see if you have bettered your previous answer and compare with the mark scheme. If there is something you don't understand from the mark scheme, read over that chapter again. Slowly you will build upon your knowledge and definitely practise past papers once your close to the exam as there is a limited amount and style of questions which you will see cropping up time and time again.

jesus christ this is the highest concentration of raw, weapons-grade stupidity to be spewed over this site

throw your computer outta your window and open a textbook
Original post by dolan m
jesus christ this is the highest concentration of raw, weapons-grade stupidity to be spewed over this site

throw your computer outta your window and open a textbook

That is because the person is very immature. Add on to that they aren't particularly capable to begin with and, voila.

They also used the infamous "I don't exam well" nonsense. People don't exam well for two reasons - they aren't any good or they are lazy. That's it.
I didn't say that. I see you need to learn reading comprehension as well. Go back and read what I actually typed.

i did read and understand
looks like you are having trouble processing it

Which does nothing to negate the fact that 4U's is scary. And someone getting 4U's at this stage is in deep trouble. Even doing little to no work a smart kid would still get A's and B's with this low level material. So they either aren't that good to begin with or they are just academically incapable. Telling them it is going to be alright in the end is just leading them down the primrose path in all likelihood.

There needs to be realism here - not this silly idea it's all going to be great.

[QUOTE="maximum_entropy;62464079"]I didn't say that. I see you need to learn reading comprehension as well. Go back and read what I actually typed.

what a hipocrit
you must have either skim read it because it was that painful to get slayed
or you need comprehensive skills yourself
since you didnt even reply instead ignored what i said and made a new point which btw is a fail attempt

i agree that they need to work
but you can NOT say they are incapable
there is realism here, this is A2 stuff we're doing which you are calling 'low level material' considering 5 months ago we were at gcse

"they either aren't that good to begin with or they are just academically incapable"
and basically you just repeat your point in the hope that it makes you sound like you know what to say
fact is you dont,
and you cant say anything about their ability until they get their real results
Original post by Ishea16

what a hipocrit
you must have either skim read it because it was that painful to get slayed
or you need comprehensive skills yourself
since you didnt even reply instead ignored what i said and made a new point which btw is a fail attempt

i agree that they need to work
but you can NOT say they are incapable
there is realism here, this is A2 stuff we're doing which you are calling 'low level material' considering 5 months ago we were at gcse

"they either aren't that good to begin with or they are just academically incapable"
and basically you just repeat your point in the hope that it makes you sound like you know what to say
fact is you dont,
and you cant say anything about their ability until they get their real results

I don't think you should be lecturing people about reading comprehension and the like. Your post is incomprehensible. The couple of posters disagreeing with you are far more correct than you are.

Read that back to yourself. Someone else on here called this, if I recall, "weapons grade stupidity".

If you can't get the motivation even after getting the results you did then it doesn't leave much of an option does it.

Here's a question for you, how many hours per day do you spend on your phone? Facebook? etc etc. A good start would be reducing that to zero and switching the time over to "going over everything". You know, the thing you can't get motivated for.
(edited 8 years ago)
got them back today and i got 4 Us, absolutely devastated.

can anybody give me advice to help prepare summer exams and have any of you had results like this before and turned it around. im a state of despair ive lost all faith and ready to give up.

im in year 12 and i take Law Business Government/Politics and Critical Thinking

KelseyAnne9876 - do not give up! The whole point of students taking mock examinations is to allow them to see how the full process works. Whilst it is clear that you did not achieve the results you were expecting there is still plenty of time to get the support you need to improve your grades.

What you need to think about is:
- how well did you really know the material
- how thorough was your research
- had you practiced the exams under timed conditions before?
- did you understand the structure of the exam papers?

What you need to do is:
- seek help from your teachers, show that you want to improve but you are not sure how to start
- make a clear work plan, with time allocated for specific subject work, revision and past paper practice (in timed conditions)
- complete past papers and ask your teachers to look through them for you/with you

Don't keep reminding yourself of the results you just received, look forward and be positive about how much you can improve. We have seen plenty of students improve their grades substantially with the right level of focus on work ethic.

Good luck!

Harriet
Elite Education Group Ltd.
got them back today and i got 4 Us, absolutely devastated.

can anybody give me advice to help prepare summer exams and have any of you had results like this before and turned it around. im a state of despair ive lost all faith and ready to give up.

im in year 12 and i take Law Business Government/Politics and Critical Thinking

Don't worry about it and definatly don't give up hope, you just need to learn how to answer the exam in the way the examiner wants it to be answered. Just do lots of practice exam papers and use the mark scheme to guide you in the way to answer. If you're really stuck use revision guides to help you with what you should be writing and definatly ask your teachers if you're stuck
LOL at all of you i am a capable student who clearly didn't read over the thread message before i sent it, i believe that with me working my ass off from now until the summer i will do myself proud. THANK YOU ALL so dearly for you excellent advice, i mean your lives must seem so excited that all you do is sit on the internet and criticise students who are clearly very vulnerable, i mean your advice has helped me so much thank you. I CLEARLY ASKED FOR ADVICE ON REVISION TIPS BECAUSE I KNOW WHERE I SLIPPED UP (strangely enough) BUT THANKS TO THESE HELPFUL PEOPLE CALLING ME INCOMPETENT AND INCAPABLE IT HAS DRIVEN ME TO PROVE ALL YOU LOVELY PEOPLE WRONG XOXO

Latest