The Student Room Group

Career vs relationship

Scroll to see replies

Relationship always... I doubt I will even enjoy the career I will end up having. Life is so much better with love :love:
Original post by walking in sand
You're doing life wrong.

In my opinion you are doing yours wrong. But its your life, so its up to you what to do with it!
Reply 42
Relationships obvs. every relationship needs sacrifices. When i am married with children i will sacrifice my career for them, stay at home, devout myself to being a good mum.
You can't rely on either of these to make you happy.

Only yourself. :wink:
Perfect relationship! No doubt about it.

To be a perfect career doesn't exist for me, I feel like you can always do better...I don't even have an ideal career anyway. I just plan to keep working on myself career wise, but a perfect relationship would be a dream! :u:
Original post by Alexion
The perfect relationship = happiness regardless of the situation.

I'd rather be with someone I truly loved and that loved me back, and never reach my career goals - I've never really been 100% career-driven anyway...

May I ask some arguments backing up the statement of yours that perfect relationship equals happiness.

Sure, I'm not the best person to criticise love because I got the deep need to avoid any kind of relationships as a birthgift from my home where my mom and dad are stuck in relationship that involves a lot arguing and fighting and therefore brought me a lot of sadness over years, but even if I considered relationship a positive thing for the sake of conversation if everything else was wrong but you has a girldfriend/boyfriend of your liking it'd be fine? Just curious.
Original post by mkap
Relationships obvs. every relationship needs sacrifices. When i am married with children i will sacrifice my career for them, stay at home, devout myself to being a good mum.

And this pretty well summed up why relationship would be the worst possible position for me to be in. Its nice when someone wants to give these sacrifices, but not everyone does want.

For someone, like the person I quoted relationship could be the best thing in their lives. For someone else like myself severe hindrance.
Original post by Hydeman
I'm just answering the question. :beard: Ideally, I'd like both. But if it's a choice between the two, dream career all the way. :woo:

please see below:
(edited 3 years ago)
Career for sure, I have really big career plans in my head :smile:
Plus I am pessimistic about relationships; If I got married I would probably get divorced.
please see below:

--------'s post assumes that a dream career is only pursued for the material things that it can enable anyone to buy. What I meant by a dream career is something that I'm satisfied with and would, given a basic standard of living, not mind doing for its own sake.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 50
Perfect relationship because it's brings satisfaction,joy, happiness and companionship.
please see below:

But how is it determined what is important for an individual?

Besides, if I ended up accomplishing my dream career I could use my skills to do good for the Earth. Compared to that relationship would be selfish choice.

Of course that would be difficult in reality but we aren't talking about if its realistic or not in here.
Any "perfect" relationship would bring much more than mere 'satisfaction'.

Well, excuse my failure to use a fancy superlative like 'elated' or 'overjoyed.' :tongue: You know what I meant.
Original post by Hydeman
Well, excuse my failure to use a fancy superlative like 'elated' or 'overjoyed.' :tongue: You know what I meant.

If a job can 'elate' you you should probably go see someone about that.
If a job can 'elate' you you should probably go see someone about that

Whatever you say. :tongue:
stop quoting me idc about you

Well, I merely tried to participate in the discussion. I don't really see why you have a need to speak to other user such a rude way. You can get your point over in perfectly civilized way as well.
The latter, I'd say.

Based on all that I've heard, love is a feeling that is unparalelled by all else! :h:
Original post by Emilia1320
May I ask some arguments backing up the statement of yours that perfect relationship equals happiness.

Sure, I'm not the best person to criticise love because I got the deep need to avoid any kind of relationships as a birthgift from my home where my mom and dad are stuck in relationship that involves a lot arguing and fighting and therefore brought me a lot of sadness over years, but even if I considered relationship a positive thing for the sake of conversation if everything else was wrong but you has a girldfriend/boyfriend of your liking it'd be fine? Just curious.

I think, a perfect relationship depends on the situation - it wouldn't be the same for everyone. For people in said situation, it might be to be with someone who can make you forget all that when you're with them.

Some things can't change. There are people who will never experience a life without sadness. But to be with someone who can make you forget all that is a feeling unparalleled by any other...
Original post by Indeterminate
The latter, I'd say.

Based on all that I've heard, love is a feeling that is unparalelled by all else! :h:

Even by maths at Imperial? :colone:
Original post by drowzee
Life is so much better with love :love:

Agreed. :h:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending