The Student Room Group

Sending your Uni application in January?

Hey guys,
I may have to send my university application after the 10th of Jan 2017 due to CIE's Oct/November results day on the 10th of Jan. Is this ok?
I was told this was way too late.
If you're using UCAS, then this will be fine, as the deadline for most courses (apart from Oxbridge, medicine, dentistry and veterinary courses) is Jan 15th - you can always put your results in the form as "pending" and submit it before this though. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sortofmusician
If you're using UCAS, then this will be fine, as the deadline for most courses (apart from Oxbridge, medicine, dentistry and veterinary courses) is Jan 15th - you can always put your results in the form as "pending" and submit it before this though. :smile:

Oh cool.
Yea, I'm using UCAS. But my teacher sat me down today to have a conversation with them, stating it's never a good idea to send in my uni application close to the deadline. He said something about being prepared, that teachers would need to do my predicted grades and this wouldn't give them enough time. My response was why couldn't I do that for my other as levels results that I'd receive in August and just wait for the one in Jan. He then explained by then most students would have received their offers and responses from unis because it's first come first serve. Something along the lines- applying close to deadline could mean there would be no spaces left. I'm so confused. He seems completely against me having a result for an A level around January.
Original post by Cherry82
Oh cool.
Yea, I'm using UCAS. But my teacher sat me down today to have a conversation with them, stating it's never a good idea to send in my uni application close to the deadline. He said something about being prepared, that teachers would need to do my predicted grades and this wouldn't give them enough time. My response was why couldn't I do that for my other as levels results that I'd receive in August and just wait for the one in Jan. He then explained by then most students would have received their offers and responses from unis because it's first come first serve. Something along the lines- applying close to deadline could mean there would be no spaces left. I'm so confused. He seems completely against me having a result for an A level around January.

Firstly, I know plenty of people in my year who got their applications in in September, and plenty who only submitted the day before the deadline - and both are receiving offers. While submitting your application sooner may lead to getting your offers sooner, it doesn't mean that you won't receive an offer if you submit close to the deadline. It's the quality of your application that will really decide! :smile: ((also I'm 99% sure that colleges and universities aren't actually allowed to show preference to those who submit earlier, as the deadline is 15th Jan, so the idea of courses filling up before the submission deadline is a little unrealistic...))

If you do want to submit before you get this result back, you still can, regardless of the grade you haven't yet received - just enter all of your other grades, and next to the subject that you haven't received the result of, select "Pending". Don't stress! :smile:

By the way, what are you thinking of applying for? :smile:
Original post by Cherry82
Oh cool.

Make sure you meet your college deadlines for putting your personal statement together and adding in your choices - ie fill in everything else and send it to your college.

They will need time to add on your reference and it can't be sent to UCAS without that.

Once your reference is added they can send it back - although if you're taking exams with CIE and put in the details correctly with the January result pending you could send it off in September and in January UCAS would send the January result directly to your universities. You don't have to wait until your results are in to apply.

The only reason to do that is if you might need to change you application to different universities if the result is better/worse than expected.

Even in that case you could apply in November time to 2 choices and then depending on your January result add 3 other choices to your application on January 10th...you application would already be complete and with UCAS you just add choices and so it gets forwarded on to those 3 extra universities.

In terms of time management this might be the best option - you can get your reference and application all done in plenty of time but give yourself the flexibility to pick 3 of your 5 choices once you know your final results.

Quick Reply

Latest