The Student Room Group

How to get cheap insurance for £1500 or under

Hi there,

I will hopefully pass my driving test by September I was just wondering how do new drivers get insurance quotes that are £1500 or under. I want to insure either a Corsa 1.2 or Polo ideally a Corsa for me, new driver (aged 21) , my sibling aged (22) and my parent who has driving experience of over 25 years with no accidents

how much did you spend on your first car and insurance
Reply 1
I'm 18, I've got a 1.2 Corsa and our quote was only around £800 for year one if I remember correctly
Reply 2
Original post by Alexion
I'm 18, I've got a 1.2 Corsa and our quote was only around £800 for year one if I remember correctly

Ouch. When I was your age I was rocking around in a 3.5 litre V8 MG and paying the same!
Original post by Alexion

How many drivers to be insured? How did you get it so cheap?
Reply 4
Original post by JC.
Ouch. When I was your age I was rocking around in a 3.5 litre V8 MG and paying the same!

Damn, how times change :redface: that's with the cost brought down by having my parents on the insurance too...

Luckily they're happy to pay for it :h:
Reply 5
Original post by ineedtorevise127
How many drivers to be insured? How did you get it so cheap?

Three - me, my mum and my dad (they're both 25 years-ish with minimal accidents).

It was a good quote anyway and it reduces the price having experienced drivers on there.
Reply 6
Original post by Alexion
Damn, how times change :redface: that's with the cost brought down by having my parents on the insurance too...

Luckily they're happy to pay for it :h:

There's two points where insurance premiums change 21 and 25. Thereafter it's reasonable until you get to 70 - then it goes up again.

More common cars tend to be more expensive to insure. For example, it's actually cheaper for me to insure a BMW M3 than it is to insure a BMW 318!
I assume it's because more of the common stuff being around = more claims made and therefore higher risk?
Reply 7
Original post by JC.
There's two points where insurance premiums change 21 and 25. Thereafter it's reasonable until you get to 70 - then it goes up again.

More common cars tend to be more expensive to insure. For example, it's actually cheaper for me to insure a BMW M3 than it is to insure a BMW 318!
I assume it's because more of the common stuff being around = more claims made and therefore higher risk?

Hmm, it's strange logic but I've heard the same... people who buy more extravagant cars are more likely to be careful with them? idk
Reply 8
Original post by Alexion
Hmm, it's strange logic but I've heard the same... people who buy more extravagant cars are more likely to be careful with them? idk

I'm not sure about that... :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by JC.
I'm not sure about that... :wink:

Yeah gotta say I disagree with myself ahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending