The Student Room Group

Does anyone else who has an abusive opposite sex parent feel unlovable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G-mute1995
I've got a great relationship with my dad and stepdad. That has helped me a lot, I feel like they have influenced how I view men and prospective partners. Fathers are the first male interaction that young women have growing up. So that's bound to have a bearing on how relationships fare in the future. Studies have shown that women do generally marry men who are like their fathers; whether they are nurturing or absent, women take their cues from the most important man in their formative years and how he treats their mother.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And probably equally vice versa with men and their mothers ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Omg this post is literally a saviour right now, i stumbled it across it googlign what to do. I'm mid twenties and an indian female. My parents physically abuse if for example i come home after a night out at like 3 even if i don't wake them up. This is to the point where they leave marks from punching me and sometimes anything they can find. Just now, i forgot to do something and my mom has now left a huge scratch across my back which is bleeding. What should i do? :?

I'm known to go straight to the point with things and being honest so read;

It's because your parents are 'old school' in other words- strict. Especially as a female, regardless if you're in your mid twenties they expect you to live to certain rules and regulations.

I'm afraid there's only two ways to go.
1. they change and let you live happily accepting you as their daughter (the harder option because it's really unlikely- almost impossible)

2. Or you leave and live your life happily (this is actually the easier option)

Note: Option 2 can possibly lead to option 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RomanKing
And probably equally vice versa with men and their mothers ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think history basically repeats itself for both genders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who gives a damn
Original post by xobeauty
Who gives a damn

The person psychologically suffering does...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RomanKing
The person psychologically suffering does...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote a paragraph and said hell with it and deleted it that's why I said that.
Yes definitely feel brain damaged by the amount of stress.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah luckily my mum is the opposite to him and we have a really good relationship. He's also been abusive towards her much longer than he has to me although he has calmed down in recent years. At the moment my mum is the mediator between my dad and I until we are both ready to trust each other.

Oh sorry about that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending