The Student Room Group

Do you think prison is a good way to punish criminals?

I'm currently revising crime and deviance in sociology and I thought it would be intriguing to see different people's opinions on this topic.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, next question
I think for certain crimes criminals should be tortured, especially those who are 'happy' about what they did or got some pleasure from it. Definitely not killed though.
Reply 3
No. Especially not the ones in the UK.
They're more of a reward than a punishment to criminals.
Yes; the deprivation of liberty is a sufficient punishment.
Reply 5
Absolutely.

Time to reflect on your mistakes in a suitable environment.

I see the death penalty almost as a 'way out' for people who commit serious crimes. Solitary confinement in a max security prison is a far more suitable punishment.

Torture is clearly wrong in any circumstances. Wouldn't want to live in that sort of society.
Reply 6
I agree with you with some parts but I'm going to play devil's advocate here haha

So most of these criminals leave prison and reoffend.. Does that mean prison isn't a suitable penalty for criminals to think about what they have done?
Reply 7
Original post by HAnwar

Why do you think that? I'm not challenging you btw im just interested
Reply 8
Original post by ElaArslan
I'm currently revising crime and deviance in sociology and I thought it would be intriguing to see different people's opinions on this topic.

my ex was in jail, they never learn. trust me.
anything you want to ask from experiences down to visits, inbox me!
Reply 9

theres many reasons why!
Original post by HAnwar

Contrary to the Daily Mail rhetoric, not all prisoners have access to PS4's and 5* hotel services.
Reply 11
Prison at night, intense community service in the day. Make some use of them and get them to 'pay back' to society. Like the old fashioned chain gangs! Get them clearing litter from the beach, roadside etc, planting trees in suitable areas, filling pot holes...

That's a punishment (free labour) and on the rehabilitation side they will have learnt valueable skills and gained experience which will be useful upon release.

Also serious criminals like serial paedophile rapist murderers could be used for medical research :P
I agree with you with some parts but I'm going to play devil's advocate here haha

So most of these criminals leave prison and reoffend.. Does that mean prison isn't a suitable penalty for criminals to think about what they have done?

Our prison system is there to punish offenders, but it offers hardly any rehabilitation to the offenders, meaning that when they serve their time, they do not see their actions as wrong and statistically, go on to commit more crimes.

It's a failure of the societal system as much as it is the criminal's fault.
Reply 13
Original post by sch30
Prison at night, intense community service in the day. Make some use of them and get them to 'pay back' to society. Like the old fashioned chain gangs! Get them clearing litter from the beach, roadside etc, planting trees in suitable areas, filling pot holes...

That's a punishment (free labour) and on the rehabilitation side they will have learnt valueable skills and gained experience which will be useful upon release.

Also serious criminals like serial paedophile rapist murderers could be used for medical research :P

Medical research hahahahah that's not bad! I'm going ask another question.. Don't you think these 'serious criminals' have some sort of backgrounds to them? Maybe not enough love and affection at home - therefore gradually becoming mentally ill then commiting crimes?
Reply 14
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Our prison system is there to punish offenders, but it offers hardly any rehabilitation to the offenders, meaning that when they serve their time, they do not see their actions as wrong and statistically, go on to commit more crimes.

It's a failure of the societal system as much as it is the criminal's fault.

In what types of crimes do you think is the criminals fault?
In what types of crimes do you think is the criminals fault?

Disregarding mental issues and generically speaking, all crimes that are motivated on wants, not needs.
Reply 16
Well there's loads of stuff wrong with prison. For instance it's mental torture and a lot of people get raped/abused or just plain go crazy and come out worse than what they went in. Lots of drugs in prison, believe it or not. And once you've been prison it drastically reduces your chances of getting a decent job so naturally thieves go back to stealing or druggies go back into depression and start using again.

Most of the prison population is made up of low level offenders, usually young with no violence history and you gotta ask yourself if education would be better.
Reply 17

I watched a documentary on life inside prisons, and there was one guy who they filmed who was casually playing xbox in his cell whilst smoking.
When the cameraman asked him when do you hope to leave, he said something along the lines of 'Why would I want to leave? I have everything here.'
In that same prison they filmed guys happily mingling with each other, sharing a fag and the prison food looked quite appetizing.

I also know someone who went to prison and they said it was quite a cushy lifestyle.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Contrary to the Daily Mail rhetoric, not all prisoners have access to PS4's and 5* hotel services.

I don't get info from Daily Mail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by HAnwar
I watched a documentary on life inside prisons, and there was one guy who they filmed who was casually playing xbox in his cell whilst smoking.
When the cameraman asked him when do you hope to leave, he said something along the lines of 'Why would I want to leave? I have everything here.'
In that same prison they filmed guys happily mingling with each other, sharing a fag and the prison food looked quite appetizing.

I also know someone who went to prison and they said it was quite a cushy lifestyle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're saying prison life is glamourised for some people?
Reply 19
So you're saying prison life is glamourised for some people?

Definitely.
Especially those that are too lazy to work or have a very poor lifestyle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending