The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

-42-
Hmm, you guys are certainly putting me off putting in an application there...does anyone know if St. Andrews has the same sort of reported bias against non-scots?

It's odd though, because we pay more fees than the Scots, so doesn't it benefit the university if they accept more english people? Although perhaps the government gives them more money, perhaps it's just the old fashioned celtic loathing, who knows!

Cheers,

Hey there I thought i'd just give my view on the matter:smile: If you're interested in studying medicine at St Andrews then i'd definitely say go for it! The Bute is a great medical school and, contrary to what some people claim, is highly respected amongst the medical profession. It's becoming increasingly competitive, and even though the minimum requirements are AAABB ( for scottish applicants) - I don't know of anyone who has got in with this. In fact, i know of 6 candidates with 5 As who were rejected from my area alone.

Perhaps fortunately for you, the Bute Medical School in St Andrews does have a high proportion of English medics...probably even more than us Scots. Keep in mind that it's your own performance that gets you into medical school and not where you're from.

On the topic of clinical study, the prospect of completing the final 3 years in Scotland has only really been clarified in the past few months. I got a letter in February stating 55 out of 150 (approx) places will be available for study in Scotland. As you can see, the majority of students (100 or so) starting in 2007 will continue on to Manchester University. The number studying in Scotland will be raised each year.

2008+ Entry

Now this is quite interesting...
At the open day at St Andrews we were told that those who apply for 2008 entry and above will be able to specify which clinical school they will go to when choosing their unis on UCAS. For example, instead of just choosing " St Andrews - A1OO(medicine course code)" ... it will change to;

"St Andrews - Edinburgh, A100"
or
"St Andrews - Glasgow, A100"
or
"St Andrews - Dundee, A100"

I think you'll get the gist of it. However, as a result people are thinking the medical school will become increasingly competitive when many people are allowed to specify their clinical school. I hope that has helped a little?:smile:
Classic, Theodore.
St Andrews favours English people, in my experience.
For Scottish applicants, its grade requirements are the lowest in Scotland (only AAABB) and yet, nobody I know has been offered a place there.
I did apply to St Andrews and I'd been to the Summer School there and wrote that on my statement and I was still rejected.
I know 4 people who also applied there and were rejected (they were all given several offers from elsewhere so their applications were in no way defective.)
As I've said before on this forum, not a lot of Scottish people apply to St Andrews, certainly not from my area.

Clincal contact is late in St Andrews and you only stay there until year three at which point you move to Manchester to do your clinical training there. It isn't ideal and St Andrews gets slagged off quite considerably among applicants for this.

Edinburgh is a great medical school but, I'm my opinion, unless you have the top grades then I wouldn't bother applying.

The scottish entry requirements of AAABB are the bare minimum, and are usually only considered in exceptional circumstances. I'm sorry to hear that you were rejected but i'm sure you'll be happy elsewhere?:smile:

Anyway, i too have heard a lot of people being rejected from St Andrews especially with top grades. My school doesn't get that many medical applicants and this year it had the most in the schools history when 7 applied. Out of those 7, all applied to St Andrews, 2 were called for interview and I got the only offer. From my area a lot of people applied, but i think you're right in saying the low degree of clinical contact puts some people off.

In terms of clinical contact, i think it's just down to preference about if you're willing to have a distinct split between pre-clinical and clinical years. However, clinical contact is by no means late in St Andrews. It begins in 1st year, and although you aren't actively out on the wards, you learn many clinical skills that all other medical schools teach. Personally, what attracts me to St Andrews is the prospect of having a firm grounding in scientific theory before the practical side is applied to it.

A lot of applicants seem to slag off the medical school, but not once have i heard a qualified member of the medical profession have any bad words to say about it. I regularly post on another medical forum which has a section for St Andrews students that has been bombarded by rude messages from applicants ( who coincidentally weren't made an offer) slating the medical school. Each to their own i say:P
Reply 82
AllanaCappiello
I'm sorry to hear that you were rejected but i'm sure you'll be happy elsewhere?:smile:

haha yes, indeed I will :smile:

AllanaCappiello
A lot of applicants seem to slag off the medical school, but not once have i heard a qualified member of the medical profession have any bad words to say about it.

I have. But, as you've said, each person's experience is different.

AllanaCappiello
I regularly post on another medical forum which has a section for St Andrews students that has been bombarded by rude messages from applicants (who coincidentally weren't made an offer) slating the medical school.

People who were given offers (a lot of them only received the one offer, by my recollection.) by St Andrews aren't going to slag it off if it is one of the only medical schools that will have them. Nor are people who have accepted their offer.

AllanaCappiello
Each to their own i say:P

Very much so :smile:
I'm not saying everyone who slags off St Andrews were themselves rejected, but from my experience on this forum, the post history of those who slag off St Andrews were rejected. It confuses me as to why people bother applying somewhere then ridicule it - fair enough if it's a last choice but there surely has to be some desire to go there for it to even be a choice.

Obviously i'm not going to slag off St Andrews as it's the place i want to go. It wasn't my only offer, I in fact got 3 offers from good medical schools but knew from visiting the St Andrews Open Day last October that it was the place for me.

But anyway, for those considering applying I really insist you go for it. A lot of people who apply to Cambridge also have St Andrews as a choice due to the traditional course similarities. Oh and i don't think it has been mentioned on this thread that St Andrews is particularly keen on dissection if you like that sort of thing.
Classic, Theodore.
I have. But, as you've said, each person's experience is different.

hah, jus because people are doctors doesn't mean they get to judge med schools by right. are they actually informed on the matter or are they just commenting merely because they are a doctor. prejudice is rife in scotland also, i mean most scottish people look on st andrews as a sell-out because it's so "english". that doesn't mean that studying there'll make you any worse a doctor than studying at glasgow for example would.
Classic, Theodore.
Oh yeah, I'm sure there are lots of Scots studying Medicine at St Andrews. Just in my experience there are not :smile:
Indeed, different strokes for different folks but I'm sure that most people would prefer some kind of clinical contact before year 4.

Erm, students at St Andrews, and at my university, and at Oxford all get some clincal contact during pre-clinical years. Sure, it's limited and can be frustrating, but I feel it'll be better for me in the long run as I personally wouldn't want to be on the wards until I have some understanding of the science behind the medicine.
Reply 86
My sister does Med, i can tell you the worst place to go but not the best..Keele haha :wink: No offence to people @ keele/applying to keele! Btw becca2389 can you tell me how you got an offer for BBB? Remarkable!

Regards
Reply 87
Stunning contribution from the Essex Economics-student-to-be. I mean, we're getting information straight from the inside here (Its like medlink all over again).
Reply 88
bright star
hah, jus because people are doctors doesn't mean they get to judge med schools by right. are they actually informed on the matter or are they just commenting merely because they are a doctor. prejudice is rife in scotland also, i mean most scottish people look on st andrews as a sell-out because it's so "english". that doesn't mean that studying there'll make you any worse a doctor than studying at glasgow for example would.

Indeed it won't, but doctors are just as well informed to judge it as anyone else is.
Reply 89
AllanaCappiello
I in fact got 3 offers from good medical schools
ALERT!

Know of any bad medical schools then?
Reply 90
AEH
Stunning contribution from the Essex Economics-student-to-be. I mean, we're getting information straight from the inside here (Its like medlink all over again).

Well seen as my sister,mum..many cuzins and friends are doctors...you would think id know something?:wink:

Regards
Reply 91
no1topman
you would think id know something?:wink:
That remains to be seen...
Reply 92
no1topman
My sister does Med, i can tell you the worst place to go but not the best..Keele haha :wink:

Jesus... what I wonder more than anything is what is an economics student doing in the medicine forum. Then, like Renal, I wonder which universities are "bad" for medicine.
UEL? :p:

(Just toying with you mate :smile:, and yes I know they don't:wink:)
Reply 94
You know something because you have friends and relatives who work in medicine? My brother runs a costume shop, do I know anything about running a costume shop?

Fact is, most preapplicants to medicine know an almost disgracefully small amount about the medical world. Large numbers of medical students are pretty deficient in their knowledge. When it comes to Keele, I'm the last person who can talk because I go to an old school in London, not a new school in the north. Quite how you can ponce around here and pontificate on the quality of a medschool from your position of absolutely zero experience and second-hand, anecdotal knowledge is beyond me.
Reply 95
he's entitled to his opinion and has a right to express it.
Dissent in the ranks? :p:
Reply 97
Med students love to argue about nothing for no reason...

You should get used to it...
Reply 98
no1topman
My sister does Med, i can tell you the worst place to go but not the best..Keele haha :wink: No offence to people @ keele/applying to keele! Btw becca2389 can you tell me how you got an offer for BBB? Remarkable!

Regards

u is 1 stupid motha ****er!!
no offence??! what the hell!! who the hell are you to say keele is the worst place, if anything id rate it as one of the top in the country.
i suggest u leave this thread to the big boys.

go back to ur economics or wateva thread u came from and dont post just to make conversation u muppet!
Reply 99
These are both true Saffie. However, his opinion also has no protection or inherent value beyond existence.

Latest

Trending

Trending