The Student Room Group

D1 Lower Bound question

A cable car has space for 15 passangers. Passengers arrive in travel groups.At the start of the day there is a long queue, with the number of people ineach travel group as shown.
9 4 3 8 6 5 9 6 5 4 8 4 3The members of each travelgroup wish to stay together.Find the lower bound of the number of trips that might berequired to clear the backlog.
How do you do this?
Original post by Improvement
A cable car has space for 15 passangers. Passengers arrive in travel groups.At the start of the day there is a long queue, with the number of people ineach travel group as shown.
9 4 3 8 6 5 9 6 5 4 8 4 3The members of each travelgroup wish to stay together.Find the lower bound of the number of trips that might berequired to clear the backlog.
How do you do this?

The lower bound is the least amount of things (in this case trip) in which the thing can be done.

Ideally you'd be able to put... how many out of 15 for almost every car except the last one? That's going to be the quickest time.

So how can it be done?
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
The lower bound is the least amount of things (in this case trip) in which the thing can be done.

Ideally you'd be able to put... how many out of 15 for almost every car except the last one? That's going to be the quickest time.

So how can it be done?

How do you set about answering it because I have no done this before?
How do you set about answering it because I have no done this before?

I take my previous hint back - I don't think that that is what the question was asking.

The question is just asking you to do the bin packing algorithm, because that algorithm finds you the minimum.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
I take my previous hint back - I don't think that that is what the question was asking.

The question is just asking you to do the bin packing algorithm, because that algorithm finds you the minimum.

Cheers
Cheers

Sorry.. I couldn't think of a good way to give you that hint so.. :dontknow:

Hopefully you won't have a problem if you see it again, if you're stuck with the question feel free to post again. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest