The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE's affect my uni application

Last summer I got my GCSE's and I got 11 A*-C 6 of which were A-B however I got a C in maths. I was just wondering if this would stop me applying to some courses. For example I want to do physiotherapy at Nottingham but it says I need 6 A*-C with at least b in maths but I don't have this. Can I still apply or will it not be worth my time.
Reply 1
yes
Original post by AayelZ
Last summer I got my GCSE's and I got 11 A*-C 6 of which were A-B however I got a C in maths. I was just wondering if this would stop me applying to some courses. For example I want to do physiotherapy at Nottingham but it says I need 6 A*-C with at least b in maths but I don't have this. Can I still apply or will it not be worth my time.

If it asks specifically for a grade B in Maths then any application will be unsuccessful unless you plan to resit Maths?

You'll need to look somewhere without this stipulation.
Retake Maths GCSE next year. Talk to your school. Any Uni offer would include you getting the required GCSE grade on top of A levels grades.

But remember you apply to FIVE Universitie. Advice on the best way to do this : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Reply 4
It states a B in maths in one sitting. Should I just forget about applying there. Even if I resig and get a B they won't accept.
Original post by AayelZ
It states a B in maths in one sitting. Should I just forget about applying there. Even if I resig and get a B they won't accept.

One sitting means exactly that. There is no point in applying if you don't have that.
Reply 6
If it says that it requires a B in the first sitting, then that's what it requires. If you don't have that, then you can't get in, sorry :frown:
I would say give it a try they may accept you, and even if they dont you know that you tried and I applied for a course that specifically asked for grade C for maths but my firm choice gave me an conditional offer and it does not ask for gcse maths.
Original post by Zeeiqbal
I would say give it a try they may accept you.

Not wise advice. This course specifically states a B grade, and at first attempt. They clearly value high level maths skills. Applying with a C grade or doing a retake will get an automatic rejection. Waste of a choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending