The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Accommodation 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey guys,

I'm due to start a PhD in October as a mature student (I'm only 26 though!) and am wondering which hall would be best suited to me.... I'm no longer a party animal but would like to be a sociable environment alongside other postgraduates. Parking is essential, so I suppose this rules out City? It would also be self-catered/en-suite. Any suggestions?

Cheers.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 61
Original post by jam12
Hey guys,

I'm due to start a PhD in October as a mature student (I'm only 26 though!) and am wondering which hall would be best suited to me.... I'm no longer a party animal but would like to be a sociable environment alongside other postgraduates. Parking is essential, so I suppose this rules out City? It would also be self-catered/en-suite. Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Try some of the properties in Ranmoor like Ravenstone or Laddow, bit more expensive but quieter and there are a few parking spots available.
What is the most important factor when choosing your accommodation?

thanks
Hi all. Quick query-the shared bathrooms in postgraduate halls seem to have baths rather than showers. Is this common accross postgrad halls at Sheffield?
Reply 64
Original post by Mieka
Try some of the properties in Ranmoor like Ravenstone or Laddow, bit more expensive but quieter and there are a few parking spots available.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
If anyone has already applied for accommodation then here are the links to join the FB groups :smile:

Endcliffe- facebook.com/groups/1125579374138964/?fref=ts

City- facebook.com/groups/1540507596280134/?fref=ts

Rancour- facebook.com/groups/1717263115210756/?fref=ts

I applied for Endcliffe :smile: I heard that Endcliffe Village was slightly more 'studenty'... City came across as the quieter area but I think they all looked good :biggrin: Hope this helps x
Reply 66
Original post by moggington
Endcliffe is the biggest of the three university-owned student villages so I'd say that's probably the most social of them all purely on the basis that the most people live there, I live in Endcliffe at the moment and although a tad noisy at times the social life is great, although I have friends in Ranmoor too and I think so long as you've got decent flatmates you can still enjoy it.

How do you get from the residences to the university?
Original post by beckrup

Walk or the shuttle. You could buy a bike too.
Original post by beckrup

Most people walk, although if the weather's bad the bus is popular

Original post by jackien1
Walk or the shuttle. You could buy a bike too.

Sheffield does not operate shuttle buses :fyi:
Original post by super_kawaii

Sheffield does not operate shuttle buses :fyi:

Whoops, meant to say the tram, not the shuttle.
Whoops, meant to say the tram, not the shuttle.

The tram service does not operate in the west of the city where Endcliffe and Ranmoor are so it is impossible to get the tram between the residences and the main campus as no line exists
The tram service does not operate in the west of the city where Endcliffe and Ranmoor are so it is impossible to get the tram between the residences and the main campus as no line exists

Woah, seriously? That kinda sucks.
Woah, seriously? That kinda sucks.

Hence why most people walk-it's not that bad a walk and it's good for your health. I see no negatives :smile:
Hence why most people walk-it's not that bad a walk and it's good for your health. I see no negatives :smile:

That's true. I used to walk 20 mins to school in Cambridge so I myself don't understand why I'm complaining lol.
Reply 74
Hi :smile: Does anyone know if they've already started giving out offers for accommodation? I just firmed my unconditional offer and only recently applied for accommodation.
Original post by MildYew
Hi :smile: Does anyone know if they've already started giving out offers for accommodation? I just firmed my unconditional offer and only recently applied for accommodation.

Nope, people with unconditional offers don't find out their accommodation until mid-July afaik.
Reply 76
Original post by pizzanomics
Nope, people with unconditional offers don't find out their accommodation until mid-July afaik.

I see :smile: Thank you for the info!
Original post by MildYew
I see :smile: Thank you for the info!

No problem! I'm waiting to hear back too since I also accepted an unconditional offer. What course are you doing and what accommodation did you go for?
Reply 78
Original post by pizzanomics
No problem! I'm waiting to hear back too since I also accepted an unconditional offer. What course are you doing and what accommodation did you go for?

Chemical Engineering :smile: I applied for self-catered, shared bathroom at City.
Hi all, I am going to Sheffield for a PH, I will be living with my boyfriend, we want a one bedroom flat, would you recommend the ones at Clarkehouse Road?

Quick Reply