The Student Room Group

How hard is A level Maths and Biology?

I am targeted an A in both but really cannot stand maths, would it be worth during purely to keep my options open for uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No you're gonna fail it if you can't stand it because to do well in maths you have to do maths ALL the time
Reply 2
Original post by JRT123
I am targeted an A in both but really cannot stand maths, would it be worth during purely to keep my options open for uni?

Don't do maths if you don't like it at GCSE, AS Level takes so much perseverance, time and effort, you need a passion for maths in order to get a good grade in it.
Original post by z33
No you're gonna fail it if you can't stand it because to do well in maths you have to do maths ALL the time

i dont like it but im doing it at a level also
Are you sure you hate maths, or just certain topics? Some are actually really annoying until you finally get the eureka moment. A Level maths teaches slightly different stuff, so if you are worried about it not being practical or being too boring, you may be surprised.
What about for AS level instead?

I'm in the same boat as you, but I chose maths for AS because of it's potential and compatibility with my science subject choices, plus I only have to do it for one year
Reply 5
I honestly didn't find AS maths that hard, and A2 looks to be going the same way (other than M1. I can't do M1). But I come from a family of maths nerds so....

Do you know what you want to do at uni? If you want to do a science you'll need at least 2 sciences for most courses, but for a uni course in say Biology (or a related subject) I'd think Chemistry would be more useful than Maths?
Reply 6
Original post by longshot100
Are you sure you hate maths, or just certain topics? Some are actually really annoying until you finally get the eureka moment. A Level maths teaches slightly different stuff, so if you are worried about it not being practical or being too boring, you may be surprised.
What about for AS level instead?

I'm in the same boat as you, but I chose maths for AS because of it's potential and compatibility with my science subject choices, plus I only have to do it for one year

This is the thing i can't figure out, whether i actually dislike maths or have just got it into my head that i do not like it. Once i understand a topic i am usually fine but it is something i feel i may lack motivation for
Reply 7
Original post by Out_of_the_Blue
i dont like it but im doing it at a level also

yeah there's a difference between 'not preferring' and 'not able to stand' a subject
it's like picking your least fave subject
you just wont be motivated to revise/ practice - and that's just the key ingredient to failure esp if it's maths
Reply 8
Original post by rachel x
I honestly didn't find AS maths that hard, and A2 looks to be going the same way (other than M1. I can't do M1). But I come from a family of maths nerds so....

Do you know what you want to do at uni? If you want to do a science you'll need at least 2 sciences for most courses, but for a uni course in say Biology (or a related subject) I'd think Chemistry would be more useful than Maths?

Im thinking of a business or economics degree at Warwick, i feel i need maths because business, physiology and economics all seem like the easy option. I only chose biology because it was the only facilitating subject i enjoyed, would consider a medicine route but don't feel i would be up for chemistry alongside it.
Original post by z33
yeah there's a difference between 'not preferring' and 'not able to stand' a subject
it's like picking your least fave subject
you just wont be motivated to revise/ practice - and that's just the key ingredient to failure esp if it's maths

fair enough :tongue:
Original post by JRT123
This is the thing i can't figure out, whether i actually dislike maths or have just got it into my head that i do not like it. Once i understand a topic i am usually fine but it is something i feel i may lack motivation for

One minute you hate it, the next minute you feel at peace with that topic, right?
I think that we could both do with more attention to lessons, and doing a bit more questions at home to cement it in your mind.

The main source of your feelings towards maths is probably the frustration of not getting the topic. I've been there too. See if you can move away from friends and concentrate on the teacher and/or the work. Then make sure that you go home and understand how to apply it properly. Do this until you are good at it.
Tuition may help too, as you can ask them for help (especially if it's one to one) outside of school, when the school teacher can't help you.

I'll probably start following my own advice a bit more, and hopefully get comfortable with maths!!!
Reply 11
One minute you hate it, the next minute you feel at peace with that topic, right?
I think that we could both do with more attention to lessons, and doing a bit more questions at home to cement it in your mind.

The main source of your feelings towards maths is probably the frustration of not getting the topic. I've been there too. See if you can move away from friends and concentrate on the teacher and/or the work. Then make sure that you go home and understand how to apply it properly. Do this until you are good at it.
Tuition may help too, as you can ask them for help (especially if it's one to one) outside of school, when the school teacher can't help you.

I'll probably start following my own advice a bit more, and hopefully get comfortable with maths!!!

Yep thats exactly how i feel! Ill try to take on your advice but its easier said than done!
Original post by JRT123
Im thinking of a business or economics degree at Warwick, i feel i need maths because business, physiology and economics all seem like the easy option. I only chose biology because it was the only facilitating subject i enjoyed, would consider a medicine route but don't feel i would be up for chemistry alongside it.

Medicine is competitive and you'd need top grades - if you don't feel you would be up for Chem I'd strongly advise against going that route.

If you want to do Business or Economics, having at least one of those subjects will help. I wouldn't take both as they are very similar - unis might look down on it, especially top ones like Warwick.

Also, I checked Warwick's website:
"Applicants to BSc Economics (L100) and BSc Economics and Industrial Organisation (L112) must have achieved an A in A2-level Maths."

For Business:
"A Levels: AAA
GCSEs: A in Maths and A in a humanities/social science subject."

Therefore if you're apprehensive about taking Maths at A level and really want to go to Warwick, I'd recommend taking the Business route. I'd also take a humanities/social science subject on to A level as if they're asking for it at GCSE, they probably like applicants with AS/A levels in those subjects as well.

However I would recommend taking 2 facilitating subjects if you're planning to apply to top unis like Warwick!
Reply 13
Medicine is competitive and you'd need top grades - if you don't feel you would be up for Chem I'd strongly advise against going that route.

If you want to do Business or Economics, having at least one of those subjects will help. I wouldn't take both as they are very similar - unis might look down on it, especially top ones like Warwick.

Also, I checked Warwick's website:
"Applicants to BSc Economics (L100) and BSc Economics and Industrial Organisation (L112) must have achieved an A in A2-level Maths."

For Business:
"A Levels: AAA
GCSEs: A in Maths and A in a humanities/social science subject."

Therefore if you're apprehensive about taking Maths at A level and really want to go to Warwick, I'd recommend taking the Business route. I'd also take a humanities/social science subject on to A level as if they're asking for it at GCSE, they probably like applicants with AS/A levels in those subjects as well.

However I would recommend taking 2 facilitating subjects if you're planning to apply to top unis like Warwick!

Thankyou for looking into it. I have decided that i am going to take Economics/Business, Maths ( maybe statistics ) and then History, if i do well in these subject id like to do economics at uni. Althogh it will e tough its only two years and i think it will be worth it if i want to get into a top uni.
maths is just practice papers and you get the hang of it.
Biology however is A LOT OF CONTENT AND I MEAN IT!
but dont worry you'll be fine with whatever you choose just make sure you work hard :smile:
Original post by JRT123
Thankyou for looking into it. I have decided that i am going to take Economics/Business, Maths ( maybe statistics ) and then History, if i do well in these subject id like to do economics at uni. Althogh it will e tough its only two years and i think it will be worth it if i want to get into a top uni.

Those sound like good choices! Are you going to take 3 AS or 4? (most unis don't require four so it won't set you back if you don't have a fourth unless you want to apply to Oxbridge or UCL/Imperial).

However if you really don't like a subject, don't take it at A level. You'll lose motivation and your grades will slip. It's better for you to have a good grade in Biology than a bad grade in History!

Hi, I was just wondering if you knew what the average medical candidate's grades are, and how many (if any) extra-curricular activities do they do?

(Not the entry requirements)

If you don't know, that's cool, I just wanted to ask
Reply 17
Those sound like good choices! Are you going to take 3 AS or 4? (most unis don't require four so it won't set you back if you don't have a fourth unless you want to apply to Oxbridge or UCL/Imperial).

However if you really don't like a subject, don't take it at A level. You'll lose motivation and your grades will slip. It's better for you to have a good grade in Biology than a bad grade in History!

Im only taking 3 because at my college there is not an option to drop a subject at the end of the first year. Although History isn't one of my favourite subjects i think a new teacher will change that, my current teacher leaves the class unannounced at least 3 times a lesson to make a coffee. Hopefully someone with a bit of motivation will make History enjoyable.
Hi, I was just wondering if you knew what the average medical candidate's grades are, and how many (if any) extra-curricular activities do they do?

(Not the entry requirements)

If you don't know, that's cool, I just wanted to ask

I don't, sorry!

All I know is that work experience is required if you want a chance of getting in, but you probably know that already :smile:
I don't, sorry!

All I know is that work experience is required if you want a chance of getting in, but you probably know that already :smile:

No problem! They turned me down for work experience this year (probably too young this year anyway), so I'll do it next year with or without my school helping to organise it. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest