The Student Room Group

Why are ads for the royal navy, army and air force targeting women?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ali1302
A more recent 2009 study published by the government show that the 2002 results remain unchanged:https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/27406/women_combat_experiences_literature.pdf

Please don't attempt to challenge my credibility on this forum. Your second point is a very weak attempt at this and you have no evidence to prove your third point that roles don't require strength and endurance.

Again - your literature and knowledge is very limited. You reference a literature review and one that is focused entirely on close combat roles.

Most British males would not be able to carry out close combat roles, never mind women. Most roles in the British military are NOT close combat roles, so your argument is invalid.

Attempting to argue a point when you don't understand the point is, well, pointless. As I said earlier - you don't even know that you don't know.
Same reason we pushed women into the workforce: It doubles the number of potential employees. If they dissuade the women out of combat roles then the MOD gets everything they want.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by DiddyDec
Absolutly zero facts then.

No, there is the fact that the military has lower standards for women physically, equality is the state of being equal. Therefore women are given special treatment in this regard.
Reply 83
Original post by ProStacker
Again - your literature and knowledge is very limited. You reference a literature review and one that is focused entirely on close combat roles.

Most British males would not be able to carry out close combat roles, never mind women. Most roles in the British military are NOT close combat roles, so your argument is invalid.

Attempting to argue a point when you don't understand the point is, well, pointless. As I said earlier - you don't even know that you don't know.

lol at this point and a much larger percentage of males carry out close combat roles than women which you conveniently don't mention. Close combat roles require the most strength and endurance. In this case womens' capabilities are extremely low. Again, you try to reduce the credibility of my argument by coming to your absurd conclusion that my argument is invalid, nice try.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by The Arsonist
Same reason we pushed women into the workforce: It doubles the number of potential employees. If they dissuade the women out of combat roles then the MOD gets everything they want.

Not really, even with these ad campaigns women only make up 9% of the military and most go in for financial reasons to earn more money.
shorter men are on average weaker than taller men, do that mean we shouldn't have short men in the army just because something's better than them? like women?
Reply 86
Original post by sleepysnooze
shorter men are on average weaker than taller men, do that mean we shouldn't have short men in the army just because something's better than them? like women?

First of all, you have zero evidence backing up your claims. Second, I doubt that the differences would be as large as the male and female soldier gap, where only the top 1% of females are equal to the average male soldiers in combat. Also the fact that women have lower physical standards isn't exactly helping back up your point either.
(edited 8 years ago)
If the feminists are right, doing this should cut our military spending to 77% :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by Kieselguhr
If the feminists are right, doing this should cut our military spending to 77% :biggrin:

This would also result in us having the least effective conventional military in the western world. The only reason females are being recruited is because the military is in decline and desperate to fill vacancies. Also, how did you come up with the 77% figure?:dry:
Original post by Ali1302
This would also result in us having the least effective conventional military in the western world. The only reason females are being recruited is because the military is in decline and desperate to fill vacancies. Also, how did you come up with the 77% figure?:dry:

wew lad drop the autism for like four seconds i'm just memeing about the wage gap thing
Original post by Supersaps
I really enjoyed the above post.

Back to the OP...aside from the recruitment ads featuring women, what makes you think they are specifically targeting women?

A British Army Captain was transferred to a desert outpost Afghanistan. On his orientation tour he noticed a very old, seedy looking camel tied out back of the enlisted men's barracks. He asked the Sergeant leading the tour, what the camel was for.

The Sergeant replied, "Well sir, it's a long way from anywhere, and the men have natural sexual urges, so when they do, uh, we have the camel."

The Captain said, "Well, if it's good for morale, then I guess it's all right with me."

After he had been at the fort for about 6 months, the Captain could not stand it anymore, so he told his Sergeant, "BRING IN THE CAMEL!!!"

The Sergeant shrugged his shoulders and led the camel into the Captain's quarters. The Captain got a foot stool and proceeded to have vigorous sex with the camel.

As he stepped, satisfied, down from the stool and was buttoning his pants he asked the Sergeant, "Is that how the enlisted men do it?"

The Sergeant replied, "Well sir, they usually just use it to ride into town"

Spoiler

:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 91
wew lad drop the autism for like four seconds i'm just memeing about the wage gap thing

Wage gap?? Most women go into the army to get paid, I doubt that there is any form of wage gap for similar roles and experience in the military. The wage gap in general is a myth based on the average male wage vs the average female wage as opposed to occupation and experience of each person.
Reply 92
Original post by bardnnyc
A British Army Captain was transferred to a desert outpost Afghanistan. On his orientation tour he noticed a very old, seedy looking camel tied out back of the enlisted men's barracks. He asked the Sergeant leading the tour, what the camel was for.

The Sergeant replied, "Well sir, it's a long way from anywhere, and the men have natural sexual urges, so when they do, uh, we have the camel."

The Captain said, "Well, if it's good for morale, then I guess it's all right with me."

After he had been at the fort for about 6 months, the Captain could not stand it anymore, so he told his Sergeant, "BRING IN THE CAMEL!!!"

The Sergeant shrugged his shoulders and led the camel into the Captain's quarters. The Captain got a foot stool and proceeded to have vigorous sex with the camel.

As he stepped, satisfied, down from the stool and was buttoning his pants he asked the Sergeant, "Is that how the enlisted men do it?"

Spoiler

I think you're in the wrong forum and No women aren't recruited to relieve mens' sexual urges. I recommend you get psychological help if your serious, if not then sexual harassment isn't something to joke about.
Original post by Ali1302

As far as I know, I could be wrong here, but doesn't Israel allow women into close combat roles alongside men? Considering they fought off most of the countries around them and continue to defend themselves day in and day out I would say they are at no discernable disadvantage in allowing females into close combat roles.

If you can find any scientifically valid evidence that the Israelite military model is inferior to the rest of the worlds then I will re-consider my thoughts. There's also been many times in history when women have engaged in front line battle with men, I can't remember the exact name of the battle but it has happened a few times.
I've met several service women in the armed forces for which most of them can run the 1.5 mile in 8:30 mins, do more than 60 full marine push ups, 25+ heaves (close grip full pull ups from full hanging position to upper chest/lower neck to bar) and get a 13.0+ in the bleep test. don't know about you but that's pretty neat and around the same as male fitness standards in the forces. Not to mention that they've been on tour, a couple being CMT's (combat med techs) so on the front line with all the infantry and household cavalry lads, and have really gotten stuck in the **** but have come out without a scratch. "Weak" my arse!
The girls in the IDF are just propaganda pieces, source: I am good friends with someone who's a conscript in the IDF
The girls in the IDF are just propaganda pieces, source: I am good friends with someone who's a conscript in the IDF

Then how do you explain the fact that a 2002-2005 study of females in the IDF found they were superior in discipline, motivation and marksmanship?
Original post by bardnnyc

Spoiler

No one knows if that actually happened. That's just a myth in the forces and a popular story.
Reply 98
Women in Israel only make up 3% of the armed forces. All women were recruited after the 1980s when Israel had a peace treaty with Egypt and Jordan.

The article I reference 'the great illusion of women in combat' is from an Israeli military analyst who clearly states Israeli women have no role in real combat and are given special treatment. Most claims are either fabricated or greatly exagerrated similarly to how the role of women in the red army was glorified.
Reply 99
What??? I would love to read that study, you know what I'll search for it myself. I'll be really disappointed if you're wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending