The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography help!!

So, I'm having a bit of dilemma at the moment with my geography GCSE. I am currently in Year 11 and have started my revision however, I have no idea how to structure my geography revision! When do I start learning the masses of case study information? Would it be more beneficial to just retain the case study detail in my short term memory?

I'd really appreciate some tips and advice from people who have got an A* at GCSE geography.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
What topics are you doing?
Original post by 0lut0
What topics are you doing?

Physical:
-coastal zone
- the living world
- the restless earth

Human:
- tourism
- population change
- changing urban environments

I very desperately need help
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I am in the same year as you and i usually use Goconqr.com for my revision , in my mock exams i had gotten a C but i have now started to revise for my real exams in may/june/july and im revising in all different ways

1) GoConqr
2) Revision poster
3) answer questions
4) print off past papers
5) Read out of revision book
6) be tested/ asked questions on certain topics

Hope i helped :smile: x
Original post by Jodie1111
I am in the same year as you and i usually use Goconqr.com for my revision , in my mock exams i had gotten a C but i have now started to revise for my real exams in may/june/july and im revising in all different ways

1) GoConqr
2) Revision poster
3) answer questions
4) print off past papers
5) Read out of revision book
6) be tested/ asked questions on certain topics

Hope i helped :smile: x

That's great thanks! When you plan on learning the case study detail? I can easily remember everything else for the long term, but it's the case study detail that I know I am going to struggle with. Coping with learning the detail for one separate section is manageable but it's when we have to learn the detail for three topics!!
Reply 5
Well i though for the case studies i would highlight or write down all the important pieces of data like:

Primary effects
secondary effects
causes
responses
capitals/cities
ect
Original post by Jodie1111
Well i though for the case studies i would highlight or write down all the important pieces of data like:

Primary effects
secondary effects
causes
responses
capitals/cities
ect

OK, thank you!
First, case studies which have come up in the last three years are for sure not to come up this year so dont bother revising them (i.e the one child policy last year) any case study predictions for this year?
Reply 8
Original post by worksmartnothard
So, I'm having a bit of dilemma at the moment with my geography GCSE. I am currently in Year 11 and have started my revision however, I have no idea how to structure my geography revision! When do I start learning the masses of case study information? Would it be more beneficial to just retain the case study detail in my short term memory?

I'd really appreciate some tips and advice from people who have got an A* at GCSE geography.

Thank you :smile:

Firstly, start as early as possible which might be different to what others are doing but the longer you give yourself to revise the better. Think of each case study in terms of a whole not as separate components e.g(Primary, secondary impacts). I found that the best way was to revise thematically for each theme and then learn the relevant case studies. You can retain some details in short term just before the exam (cramming) but to do that effectively you are also relying on the bulk being stored in longer term memory. I achieved an A* at GCSE and A at AS Level using this method.

Best of luck,
Original post by Adzkii786
First, case studies which have come up in the last three years are for sure not to come up this year so dont bother revising them (i.e the one child policy last year) any case study predictions for this year?

Is this certain though? I'm too scared of leaving something just because it has recently appeared on a past paper! Thanks for the help though anyway aha
Original post by DBR247
Firstly, start as early as possible which might be different to what others are doing but the longer you give yourself to revise the better. Think of each case study in terms of a whole not as separate components e.g(Primary, secondary impacts). I found that the best way was to revise thematically for each theme and then learn the relevant case studies. You can retain some details in short term just before the exam (cramming) but to do that effectively you are also relying on the bulk being stored in longer term memory. I achieved an A* at GCSE and A at AS Level using this method.

Best of luck,

This is great! Thank you so much! I will put this into use as soon as possible :h:

Quick Reply

Latest