The Student Room Group

Muslims: How big of an issue is alcohol?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by batoot
backwards? in what way.
it's my own opinion on how I'd view a partner who drinks so idgaf what you say.
I'm the same with cigarettes, yet cigarettes aren't haraam.
you're just using the word "backwards" because you think my opinion is mostly religiously motivated.

It just seems very childish to completely rule out so many people based on something you clearly know little about.
bit odd that one of the major motivating factors in the development in agriculture and civilisation is deemed haram by islam

but they do have a habit of being backwards
Reply 22
I guess its off putting that a guy drinks. i wouldn't marry someone who drunk alcohol; however there are worst sins than drinking alcohol such as not praying five times a day.
Honestly, if you're drinking then what's the point of proclaiming yourself as a Muslim? You're just doing it out of fear of punishment from the probability of an Allah. You're going to go to Hell anyway.

Either do it properly, or not at all. Not that there is an actual way to do it properly - considering the immense variation and room for interpretation.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Well, if one did decide to drink a large glass of red wine every day, then by Friday, I would already be over the recommended limit set by the NHS.

What's a man to do on Friday, Saturday and Sunday? Go teetotal? Perish the thought.

If I stuff my stomach with 10kg of halal meat everyday. I would be at the NHS tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Anonymous
I know that it is prohibited in Islam and the vast majority of non-Muslims in the UK drink it, but on a social level, how unacceptable is alcohol in the Muslim community?
The reason why I ask is because I'm a Muslim and I've started drinking quite recently. I don't drink much and I do moderate myself when I do drink.
Would it put some Muslim girls off for marriage if you found out this guy drinks in moderation? Just wondering.

I don't know a lot of muslims, if any, in the UK but I know several people that come from a "muslim family" that drink and would say they are muslim but don't follow it at all. they seem fine.

However, having been to several muslim countries like turkey and have many muslim friends there (not just the west coast where most people drink but also to the east and north as well) that are muslim, but drink alcohol. also in morroco. I think religion is open to your own interpretation as long as you are not hurting other people.
Reply 26
Original post by alow
It just seems very childish to completely rule out so many people based on something you clearly know little about.

clearly know little about?
and what do you know about it that makes it so great?

it's just something I don't like get over it ffs it's not affecting you. Also, it's not like i'm ruling out being friends with people who consume alcohol, many of my friends do so...
(edited 8 years ago)
Can't be that big of a deal because every Muslim I know drinks, in fact we're all close and drink and have sex and smoke all the time. :s-smilie:
Original post by mkap
I guess its off putting that a guy drinks. i wouldn't marry someone who drunk alcohol; however there are worst sins than drinking alcohol such as not praying five times a day.

:curious: were you raised in a basement?
Reply 29
Original post by mango peeler
:curious: were you raised in a basement?

whats wrong with what i said
Reply 30
Original post by mango peeler
The last half of the last sentence is what convinced me you were raised in a basement. I couldn't tell if sarcasm or not.

The worst sin after committing shirk is not praying salah
Original post by mkap
The worst sin after committing shirk is not praying salah

What a weird sin. Forget everything else that's morally wrong with society right. No wonder so many Muslims convert or give up or "haram."
Original post by HucktheForde
If I stuff my stomach with 10kg of halal meat everyday. I would be at the NHS tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you'd be in the funeral parlor.
Original post by HAnwar
I should've worded my original post correctly. Apologies.

It is narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (RA) said: the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said:
“Allah has cursed alcohol, the one who drinks it, the one who pours it, the one who sells it, the one who buys it, the one who squeezes it (squeezes the grapes, etc), the one for whom it is squeezed, the one who carries it and the one to whom it is carried.” (Saheeh Abi Dawood)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha ha ha!

Allah obviously didn't forecast modern wine making techniques when he told Mohammed that. Is this contraption with wheels below, "cursed too? :biggrin:

Being a Muslim is so not any fun is it? With God "cursing" one of the great wonders of the world, a bottle of the stunning 2000 vintage of Cheval Blanc. :smile:

Reply 34
Original post by JezWeCan!
Ha ha ha!

Allah obviously didn't forecast modern wine making techniques when he told Mohammed that. Is this contraption with wheels below, "cursed too? :biggrin:

Being a Muslim is so not any fun is it? With God "cursing" one of the great wonders of the world, a bottle of the stunning 2000 vintage of Cheval Blanc. :smile:

Of course it is. That's blatantly obvious from the hadith.

'Great wonders' yeah not to me it isn't.

Here's something for you to ponder on-

“The world is a prison for the believer and a paradise for the unbeliever.”

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar

Here's something for you to ponder on-

“The world is a prison for the believer and a paradise for the unbeliever.”

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't though is it? A prison I mean.

Lying in bed with a babe after great sex, glugging Cheval Blanc or vintage champagne, THAT is paradise.

What have you guys got, bowing down to Mecca five times a day?

I call that a prison, we infidels have the earthly paradise. Trust me. :smile:

No, you guys put up with hell on earth in an attempt to avoid hell fire. We have the best time we can in the life we DO have, because hell doesn't exist.

Think about it.
Original post by alow
That's pretty ****ing backwards.

welcome to religion
Reply 37

Lying in bed with a babe after great sex, glugging Cheval Blanc or vintage champagne, THAT is paradise.

No, you guys put up with hell on earth in an attempt to avoid hell fire. We have the best time we can in the life we DO have, because hell doesn't exist.

Think about it.

May God guide you.
Take care.
Reply 38
Many don't drink alcohol as they don't eat pork or smoke but some do in private and hide it from their parents.

Up to you... Do you feel guilty when you drink? Is it peer pressure cuz you're at uni? Is it worth it?

Personally, I don't mind Muslims who drink because at the of the day it's their choice and I'm not one to judge them likewise they wouldn't judge what I do.

To conclude this essay, whatever you think is right. :smile:
Reply 39

Think about it.

That's what she meant. It's paradise for you because you don't believe but a prison for the one who believes in God/religion. :h:

Oh and we don't bow to Mecca, just saying :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest