The Student Room Group

IBM Placement Scheme - matching process?

Hi everyone,

I've applied for the IBM placement scheme for 2016 entry. I was successful at the assessment centre, and have now been put into the matching process. Does anyone know if it is likely I will get a job or not? Has anyone here been in the same situation and not been offered a role?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there! Just wondering how the IBM process ensues after you have passed the Assessment Centre, and gone for the role of a software developer? Anyone have any pointers or tips?! As it says that my application is still under review, and I will be either offered an interview when they have a job for me, or I will be sent directly to a job... Was just wondering if anyone knows the waiting time for software developers/if IBM could still rule me out after the Assessment process?!

Thank you!
Reply 2
??
Sorry for reviving an old thread but since you've already asked the question I didn't bother reposting it :smile:

I entered the matching process around a month ago and I'm still waiting for a job role. Is anyone else here still in the matching process? Have you 2 or anyone else received a job interview/offer yet?

EDIT: I applied for a technology placement
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
You should get a reply soon.
I went for a assessment center in February on a Wednesday and on Friday i got the email saying congratulations your now in the matching process. It then took about a week and a half then on a Tuesday i got a email in the morning offering me a role in Portsmouth and then a phone call in the afternoon offering me a Software Engineering role at Hurlsey without a further interview. I applied for the technology role as well.

As long as you wernt too specific on what you would like to do and the location when you had your interviews and wrote down your preferences you should get offered something quite quickly. Hopefully they offer you something fun :smile:
Reply 5
I entered the matching process almost 2 months ago, however, I received an email last week stating that they 'hadn't forgotten about me', and were looking to match me with a manager. Although, I was meant to know by April whether I had been matched or not, and called in for an interview, so I'm beginning to wonder when I'll know if I've been successful and when I can expect to work for IBM as a software developer...
Anyone know anything about this?
would be really helpful guys!
Reply 6
Unfortunately Software Development is something that always gets filled up really quickly. It might also depend on the preferences you put on the form you filled out when you first got there. Where you really specific with what you wanted to do or where you wanted to be placed?

The advice i got from the university careers office was don't stop applying for other roles until they offer you a job as there is still the chance that you may not get offered a role for the year.

Then again some people can get a offer within a week and other had to wait about 1 and abit months for an offer so dont give up thinking that youll get an offer but if you get offered a role somewhere else you should probably take it if IBM dont get back to you by then.
Hi All,

I am an apprentice @ IBM and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have regarding the schemes we have to offer or the matching process.

Let me know,

Sean
Reply 8
Original post by SeanKennedyIBM
Hi All,

I am an apprentice @ IBM and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have regarding the schemes we have to offer or the matching process.

Let me know,

Sean

Hi Sean,

I have been under manager review for 5months now. Is the wait normal? Any idea when graduate jobs will start? Thanks very much
Reply 9
Just wondering what job did you apply for? (Being under manager's review for 5 months) As I've been under review for nearly two months for the software developer role
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Ezee01
Just wondering what job did you apply for? (Being under manager's review for 5 months) As I've been under review for nearly two months for the software developer role

Hi,

The sales graduate position. I was told in the interview there wouldn't be positions until 2016 but still no idea when.
Hi All,

Let me know,

Sean

Hi Sean,

I applied for the placement scheme, I was matched to a role, did a telephone interview plus met face-to-face but i've been told i'm unsuccessful for that particular role and now I'm back in the matching process....slightly worried now. Is this common?

Thanks in advance for the reply!
Reply 12
I am in the same position, been in the matching process since end the of October. Still waiting to hear back from them :/
Original post by natssboatss
Hi Sean,

I applied for the placement scheme, I was matched to a role, did a telephone interview plus met face-to-face but i've been told i'm unsuccessful for that particular role and now I'm back in the matching process....slightly worried now. Is this common?

Hi,. I have been matched to role and then told i was unsuitable after a telephone interview and have been put back into matching. Im jut wondering what hapoene with you as you were in the same position as me.
Thanks!
Original post by natssboatss
Hi Sean,

Hi Natssboatss,

This is very common. This doesn't mean you have been disregarded as a candidate for the placement scheme ,it just means they want you to have the best experience in a field they feel suitable. I understand being in the matching process is a very grey area in which many people feel uncomfortable being in. However just because you don't suit one role (in their opinion) doesn't mean you won't suit another half a million roles they have.

You should be very proud to get into the matching process. This shows IBM has taken an interest in you and your set of skills,

Please let me know how you get on!

Any other questions either reply to this or PM me.

All the best,

Sean
Hi Natssboatss,

This is very common. This doesn't mean you have been disregarded as a candidate for the placement scheme ,it just means they want you to have the best experience in a field they feel suitable. I understand being in the matching process is a very grey area in which many people feel uncomfortable being in. However just because you don't suit one role (in their opinion) doesn't mean you won't suit another half a million roles they have.

You should be very proud to get into the matching process. This shows IBM has taken an interest in you and your set of skills,

All the best,

Sean

Hi Sean,

I am in a similar position and am confident that IBM will be able to find plenty of roles for me. My only issue is that it is fairly late in the hiring process. How late in the year do ibm continue to hire until? Its alreasy April and am just concerned that most of the roles will have been filled.

Thanks for your help.
Original post by Tractordog
Hi Sean,

I am in a similar position and am confident that IBM will be able to find plenty of roles for me. My only issue is that it is fairly late in the hiring process. How late in the year do ibm continue to hire until? Its alreasy April and am just concerned that most of the roles will have been filled.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Tractordog,

Unlike many other placement schemes available, many of IBM schemes don't have a set number of people they can take on. IBM wouldn't turn away great candidates as that would be a waste. From what I believe there is no maximum amount of people that they can hire which I hope makes you more confident.

Any other questions let me know,

Sean
Hi Tractordog,

Unlike many other placement schemes available, many of IBM schemes don't have a set number of people they can take on. IBM wouldn't turn away great candidates as that would be a waste. From what I believe there is no maximum amount of people that they can hire which I hope makes you more confident.

Any other questions let me know,

Sean

Thanks for the quick reply.

That does make me more confident in securing a role. Although they did say in an email that as it is late in the recruitmentrecruitment stage, I should accept any offers for IBM roles I am given as it is likely that many positions are already filled.
Original post by Tractordog
Thanks for the quick reply.

That does make me more confident in securing a role. Although they did say in an email that as it is late in the recruitmentrecruitment stage, I should accept any offers for IBM roles I am given as it is likely that many positions are already filled.

If you're a hard worker and take any role in IBM and don't like it, I'm sure you'd be able to swap roles once inside of IBM.

Anything else let me know :biggrin:,

Sean
Hi Natssboatss,

All the best,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Thanks for replying! Glad to hear it is a common thing! It just sucks when you are in the business interview and they talk to you as if you've secured the role, and then don't get it in the end. I guess my concerns come from the fact that there is a hiring freeze going on at the moment, now I'm wondering if they are even going to hire anymore students for their various schemes and whether I should apply to some other placements just in case? I just want IBM so bad, don't think I'll get a better placement experience elsewhere, I got this far, would just be gutted if I didn't get in now!

I did contact matching to adjust some of my location preferences, I'm hoping that helps!

Natalie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending