The Student Room Group

RAF: Capita Medical 13th Feb

I have my first medical in just under two weeks and I've been told how picky Capita Health are when it comes to the medicals. Is it true that they are? Also should I try and take something to help my medical like medical records, even though they have access to my NHS number?
Reply 1
Yes, despite the fact that you sign a declaration giving them access to your medical records, they will expect you to find them for them. Its ridiculous, but hey ho, we want jobs and they have you by the short and curly's!

Get any letters/paperwork from your GP regarding any surgery you've had in the past, and any serious medical condition. Also, you need a copy of your NHS number on official paper (headed). Apparently it wasn't enough that my driving license, MOD 90, Passport and Birth Certificate matched the name on the NHS number :|

You'll save yourself a lot of hassle if you pre prepare all this information. Some Capita doctors are pickier than others, maybe you'll get lucky, but it never hurts to be prepared.
Reply 2
Ok then! Thank you for the help! But I have my NHS number from my GP but they wrote it on a scrap piece of paper and the RAF already took it when I did my AST. Do I just call and ask for an official copy or on how to get the NHS card? Thanks again!
The doctor that I saw demanded that I booked an ECG with my GP. Why? Simply because my HR was 55! I had to send the results back in a prepaid envelope and haven't heard anything back from Capita yet, however the cardiac nurse told me I shouldn't really have been sent for one in the first place.
Reply 4
Oh man that's bulls**t! Well I've been to the dentist today and it was all good! Spoke to my GP and they said they don't issue NHS cards anymore so it's just wrote down on a piece of paper and handed to me like before! But I've also booked an appointment for my medical records, is that worth taking? Please give reasons
I've seen plenty of people say that you should take your medical records but I imagine that's in case you need to provide the history of any illness or injury that you may have had.

The only documents I was asked for is my ID and my opticians prescription when I told them I needed glasses. Unlike jannisjr, I wasn't asked for my NHS number.

But if you can get a copy of the number on an official document (hospital appointment letters for example) then you should take it just to be safe.
Reply 6
Yeah all it asks for is ID and the document attached but I don't wear glasses or contacts so even though I probably don't need it, I'll just take it anyway to be safe. Yeah I probably will get it but I think it would help if the record already says I'm medically fit then they wouldn't have to do everything right? And if they say I'm not then I have that as proof that I am
They will probably still have to ask you all the mandatory questions and get you to do the few practical health checks just because of rules. But you're right in saying its proof and will back up anything you say, so this makes sure that your application wont be delayed for any daft reasons.
Reply 8
Original post by jturnbull10
They will probably still have to ask you all the mandatory questions and get you to do the few practical health checks just because of rules. But you're right in saying its proof and will back up anything you say, so this makes sure that your application wont be delayed for any daft reasons.

Oh yeah yeah I get that it won't cut all of it out due to standards and regulations but from hearing what people say that they've been delayed by weeks or months over something stupid and minor, I just want things to go smoothly like everyone does but I want to give myself the best of chances
Reply 9
Originally I had my NHS number on a scrap of paper, and they told me it wasn't good enough. Now, you might get lucky and they don't kick up a fuss.

In my first medical, I was pulled on blood pressure, but passed the physical. At my second, I was passed on blood pressure, but pulled for having a bunion on the physical. The first doctor didn't even mention the bunion. It really depends on the luck of who you get on the day I think. I know some people who went through without a hitch as well, so don't be disheartened.

Quick Reply

Latest