University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 61
Dangermouse425
Just asked SNS - you can't.

Not without breaking the rules anyway
Reply 62
So I won't be even able to connect my PC to the data point AND connect my PS3 to the WiFi???
Reply 63
geoff_yin
So I won't be even able to connect my PC to the data point AND connect my PS3 to the WiFi???

Yeah you will assuming your in rang of the Wifi which is a big assumption. Just use one of my methods they should work pretty well.
Reply 64
I would like to use one of your methods but I don't understand how to do it! I'm good with computer related stuff, but not that good!
Reply 65
oh man, I also have a PS3, hope there's some way to get online to work.... :s-smilie:
Reply 66
The Uni network has limited bandwidth, and I don't think they can allow people to set up online gaming networks over it because it would slow down everything else. Academic and administrative use has got to be prioritised in a situation with limited bandwidth and it's only common sense to do so. The network is slow enough as it is without a load of people bringing PS3's and using it for gaming.

And geoff, there isn't a wifi network in Broadgate anyway. Well, there is access in the cafe but that's more for laptops. You certainly won't get any signal in Laurels!
Reply 67
philjw
The Uni network has limited bandwidth, and I don't think they can allow people to set up online gaming networks over it because it would slow down everything else. Academic and administrative use has got to be prioritised in a situation with limited bandwidth and it's only common sense to do so. The network is slow enough as it is without a load of people bringing PS3's and using it for gaming.

And geoff, there isn't a wifi network in Broadgate anyway. Well, there is access in the cafe but that's more for laptops. You certainly won't get any signal in Laurels!

Yeah I understand that, but sucks for me hehe :p:
Reply 68
philjw

Oh man! This sucks big time!
Reply 69
geoff_yin
Oh man! This sucks big time!

hehe I guess we'll have to start a new PS3 society so we can have LAN's at least :p: (geeky or what hehe)
The wi-fi coverage at the university is patchy at best and incredibly slow.
Reply 71
What's the wi-fi like at Sutton Bonington, do you know?
Sarah_V
What's the wi-fi like at Sutton Bonington, do you know?

Sorry, not a clue.
A switch wouldn't work. But get something like a WRT54G, which is what I used last year, and you can share your internet fine. Connect the "internet" port to the wall socket in your room and then the other ports to your stuff, and set it to "gateway" in the options, and it should work fine.

If you turn all of the security options on in the WiFi settings then there is hardly any chance of getting caught; I pulled my desk out and hid mine behind there :wink:
Reply 74
laney
A switch wouldn't work. But get something like a WRT54G, which is what I used last year, and you can share your internet fine. Connect the "internet" port to the wall socket in your room and then the other ports to your stuff, and set it to "gateway" in the options, and it should work fine.

If you turn all of the security options on in the WiFi settings then there is hardly any chance of getting caught; I pulled my desk out and hid mine behind there :wink:

So how easy is it to set up the router you're talking about with the cables, and the settings on the computer and what not? I assume you plug in one patch cable connecting the router to the data point in the room, and then use the other ethernet ports on the router to connect if to a PC and PS3 with another two patch cables?
Reply 75
geoff_yin
So how easy is it to set up the router you're talking about with the cables, and the settings on the computer and what not? I assume you plug in one patch cable connecting the router to the data point in the room, and then use the other ethernet ports on the router to connect if to a PC and PS3 with another two patch cables?

yep
geoff_yin

Yep, it's pretty simple. Just like if you used it at home really.

Latest

Trending

Trending