The Student Room Group

Non-medical help support - how to use it!

Hi,

I have non-medical help support: a manual note-taker in all lectures, a scribe for exams and then 120 hours practical support assistant.

I use the note-taker and scribe but its how to use the practical support assistant to the most benefit I am struggling with. I know I don't have to, but if it is available to me I think I should make the most of the support on offer!

I just wondered if anyone could share or advise on what they have used practical support assistants for as the information online is quite vague. It's good that there is flexibility but it doesn't help in this situation!

I have a physical disability so I'm thinking of asking them to help with things such as printing off my notes for me and helping to organise them as I get in a bit of a muddle with this! Also going to collect books from the library. Anything to relieve a bit of the pressure and stress for things that take me longer to do!

Thanks!
Reply 1
I would think that's pretty much what they are their to do.

I don't have a physical disability and don't have one of these so I can't say exactly but some general ideas are

-think about what things you are finding difficult-then work out how best to use your support to make it easier. So work it out from yourself to getting support rather than from the support to be used.
-Or arrange a regular session for a few weeks and try it, find out what things they can do (always worth asking as you might find out they can do more things you never realised they could do!) and try getting them to do each 1 and see if it helps. After a few weeks when you know more about what it is review it and see if it's helped, then possibly change it based on what you know e.g. I need it more at the start of the week to prepare me for the week, or at the end of the week when I'm tired, or a bit every day etc...
-Final thought, talk to the disability adviser or whoever arranges the support at your uni, see what they can do to help you decide.
It was written in my report that I could use mine for things like collecting books from the library and photocopying. Because I'm partially sighted, he helped with me with reading as well as note taking.

Quick Reply

Latest