The Student Room Group

Why do only very few universities offer food science course?

I have done some research and found that only around 10 universities offer food science course. Does anyone know why? Is it because it is not a well respected degree? However I heard that the degree will make you very employable.... Thanks.
Original post by coconut64
I have done some research and found that only around 10 universities offer food science course. Does anyone know why? Is it because it is not a well respected degree? However I heard that the degree will make you very employable.... Thanks.

It will be because there isn't sufficient demand for other universities to run the course.
It's just a bit of a niche degree consisting mostly of biology/nutrition/agriculture modules that are generally studied on broader degrees with some additional business/product development modules thrown in.

If you really want to get a career in food science, I suspect it will be fine, but so would another biosciences degree. If you wanted to get into food development, I suspect a chemistry/biochemistry degree would be the better option.
Reply 3
Original post by Quantex
It's just a bit of a niche degree consisting mostly of biology/nutrition/agriculture modules that are generally studied on broader degrees with some additional business/product development modules thrown in.

If you really want to get a career in food science, I suspect it will be fine, but so would another biosciences degree. If you wanted to get into food development, I suspect a chemistry/biochemistry degree would be the better option.

So food science involves a lot of biology and chemistry?
Reply 4
Original post by ByronicHero
It will be because there isn't sufficient demand for other universities to run the course.

But I heard that food scientists are wanted and people said that this gives a high employability...
do a chemical engineering degree instead.
Reply 6
What does that involve? I have never heard about that? Its not in the courses I have looked. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest