The Student Room Group

Going about planning volunteering abroad in a gap year

Hi!
I've decided to take a gap year before I choose to do Geography and I would absolutely love to volunteer abroad in my gap year. I've been on the gapyear.com website and there are so many wonderful projects, but I'm just so worried about going alone and not being able to organise all the travel required to the actual project itself and just not being able to cope with being alone in a foreign country, getting on the wrong plane etc. What do you guys advise? Have you had similar experiences?
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Went to Australia on my own when I was 18. Did not know anybody there. The best part was that I had to change flights on Hamad International Airport and Hong Kong Airport which are two of the biggest airports in the world.

It is a little bit scary at first and I was so nervous that I could not sleep the day before .. but you just have to man up I guess. To top it all off I had no idea how to cook, iron, wash or do anything on my own haha I had not even had returned an item to a store myself before I left my home country.

So to go on with my story.
Made friends with the guy who was sitting next to me on the first plane and he showed me how to change flights and get your new tickets and stuff. Everything worked out fine and I managed to catch the right flight.

This was followed by two very busy weeks when I had to search for a flat (never done that before either) some big failures, heaps of life lessons and now I am independent a f not scared of 30h international flights anymore, a decent cook and I even know how to operate a washing machine, build a bed, stop a burning microwave, kill spiders as big as your hand and loads of other useful stuff xD

Bottom line is ... sufficient funds, a passport and a little bit of self confidence can go a loooooooooooong way :wink:
Agree with this. You really have to brave when going abroad. There are going to be hurdles and stuff like homesickness, missing your family and friends, But if you're already there, then that would be another world one should be seeing. What programs do gapyear.com offer?

Quick Reply

Latest