The Student Room Group

Does welfare need to be reduced? 34k per year TAX FREE

Example: 2 kids with single parent working part time.

2 Kids:
Child Tax credit: 9,495 per year
Child benefit: 1076 per year
Housing Benefit: 13,520 per year
Annual Salary: 9,850

TOTAL BENEFITS BEFORE TAX: 24k it's nearly 34k tax free.

You would need a grad salary of 46k per year for an equivalent salary.

Discuss?

No wonder we have immigrants from the EU flooding here, no wonder we have so many single parent households.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How much would you suggest it be lowered to ?

I can't see any government succeeding in lowering it by more than say £4000 a year.

Would that be enough to deter immigrants or the number of single mothers?

I have my doubts.
If it's such an easy life then have some kids and get claiming.
Where are you getting these stats from?

I am the only child in my house and we get £554 child tax credit a year and not much else. We live in a council house so we have reduced rent and council tax, but because we receive benefits £40 of my dad's £50 a week wages are taken in tax.

Yeah, they take 80%. Don't say it's an easy life, because it really isn't. You don't get as much money as you are claiming. Hell, we can't even afford to pay our bills next quarter.

EDIT: I just looked up Housing Benefit and we get none of the thousands you are claiming, as it is paid straight against our rent. It goes to the council, not to us.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by supernerdural
£40 of my dad's £50 a week wages are taken in tax.

£50 a week?! What does he do?
Original post by Bill_Gates

2 Kids:

Discuss?

No wonder we have immigrants from the EU flooding here, no wonder we have so many single parent households.

Who gets £13k housing benefit ... this just goes to landlords anyway, you don't gwt a payment and then get to pick cheap accommodation.

So £22k of this persons earnings are not in their pocket

And nobody gets 9k tax credit either especially not if they are on a 9k salary. More like 2k
Original post by PQ
If it's such an easy life then have some kids and get claiming.

It's funny how as soon as you say this they go quiet
Original post by scrotgrot
It's funny how as soon as you say this they go quiet

Nonono. At some point in the next few hours someone will reply explaining that they're too "proud" to claim benefits back from a system they've been paying tax and NI into.
Reply 8
it is a disgrace!!
Not all of us get that much.
we need a 50% reduction to encourage work. This destroy's the next generation and creates welfare dependency.

2 Kids:

Discuss?

i have to say your figures are rather inflated as i know my parents (1 disabled and 1 carer) were getting £25,000 a year after adding in the work they did within their tax-free limits (£7,500 so £17,500 with two kids) and my mother friend (disabled with 2 kids) and she gets £24,000 a year but can't work in anyway
You know you've made a hell of a thread when even ****ing jamesthehustler thinks your numbers are made up, Jesus ****ing Christ.
Reply 13

2 Kids:

Discuss?

I dont know if your stats are accurate (wouldnt be surprised) if they were. But i do agree that it is just letting people depend on the welfare and not really be that bothered to get an education etc as they know they will have the benefit system to fall back on. Also i feel the most suitable reform would be too take away child tax credits after 1 child. Its quite simple really if you cant afford children dont have them and if you have them dont expect the tax payer to pay for them.
Original post by AceViva
I dont know if your stats are accurate (wouldnt be surprised) if they were. But i do agree that it is just letting people depend on the welfare and not really be that bothered to get an education etc as they know they will have the benefit system to fall back on. Also i feel the most suitable reform would be too take away child tax credits after 1 child. Its quite simple really if you cant afford children dont have them and if you have them dont expect the tax payer to pay for them.

Peoples situations change. Or do you think we should penalise people who had children when they could afford to; but lost their jobs, or were forced to give up work due to ill health or care for a sick relative?

2 Kids:

Discuss?

Discuss? Why?

It's what's needed for that family to live on, if you want to deter migrants leave the EU then it's down to our politicians to create a proper immigration policy that can be held to account for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
we need a 50% reduction to encourage work. This destroy's the next generation and creates welfare dependency.

Lol 12k a year to pay rent and all the bills for four people.

You live in the clouds mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Curious as to where the OP got his numbers from? Because they're very wrong indeed.
Those numbers are totally wrong. That much housing benefit works out as over £1000 a month. Unless you live in London I don't know anyone whose rent would be that high. Also they deduct a certain amount against your salary. As soon as you start earning your housing benefit is reduced.

Quick Reply

Latest