The Student Room Group

Job I could do in the interim?

Background is that I have a 2:1 law degree and a distinction in the LPC and worked part-time for a bank. I fell pregnant during my LPC (please don't judge; I'm not a teenager, I own a house and have a long-term partner who I'm going to marry; the baby wasn't planned but loved nonetheless and I didn't want an abortion to pursue a career.. not apologising for that) and currently on maternity leave.

I am returning to the bank job in March but it was really just a way to make money, not a career or a role that would open the doors for me (just call centre work basically).

Trouble is, as my baby is 8 months old so still pretty young, I feel it would be unfair on him for me to apply for training contracts or roles where I am going to be working very long hours. And plus I don't want to be apart from him that long to be honest as I love him.

I do still want to pursue my career in the future, maybe when he's a couple of years old. But right now while he's so reliant on me, what other jobs could I do that won't be quite as demanding as being a trainee or a paralegal? I would like to start making some applications that could get me that step closer to my career and not shut me out of law forever. It would be a shame to waste my qualifications as well.
Reply 1
Are you looking for full time or part time work?

There are certainly part time paralegal positions although these are hard to come by. When I was a paralegal I worked 9-5 and very rarely stayed late - it depends on the firm and area of law but paralegal work is not necessarily too demanding.
Reply 2
Ditto above. I worked as a paralegal in commercial property from 9 - 5 (rarely stayed late, like once every 2 weeks) and this was in a top 50 firm (hours depending on the type of firm and whether you'd like it etc). You could also try volunteering in doing some NGO legal work which is what I'm doing now whilst making applications - this is definitely less demanding but of course not paid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sazzy890
Background is that I have a 2:1 law degree and a distinction in the LPC and worked part-time for a bank. I fell pregnant during my LPC (please don't judge; I'm not a teenager, I own a house and have a long-term partner who I'm going to marry; the baby wasn't planned but loved nonetheless and I didn't want an abortion to pursue a career.. not apologising for that) and currently on maternity leave.

I am returning to the bank job in March but it was really just a way to make money, not a career or a role that would open the doors for me (just call centre work basically).

Trouble is, as my baby is 8 months old so still pretty young, I feel it would be unfair on him for me to apply for training contracts or roles where I am going to be working very long hours. And plus I don't want to be apart from him that long to be honest as I love him.

I do still want to pursue my career in the future, maybe when he's a couple of years old. But right now while he's so reliant on me, what other jobs could I do that won't be quite as demanding as being a trainee or a paralegal? I would like to start making some applications that could get me that step closer to my career and not shut me out of law forever. It would be a shame to waste my qualifications as well.

Just to say I'm basically doing a very similar job to you (bank, call centre-y type thing)and it's not been entirely worthless in terms of experience so don't write it off completely :smile: Seconded what the above said about legal secretary or paralegal jobs. This would be even better for you as an LPC graduate, several firms recruit trainees from their paralegals eventually too.

Does your current organisation have much opportunity for progression? I know mine is quite keen for their customer relations employees to move to other departments like underwriting or fraud once we've racked up some time there which has a lot more of a legal perspective. I can definitely recommend Citizens Advice Bureau as well for building up experience (although this isn't paid)
You don't need to justify having your baby. And also you are assuming that you will be required to do long hours. There is nothing to stop you going for the jobs you want and if you get them having an honest conversation about hours.

You clearly feel like you are the only one with a child but you are not! Don't forget that those interviewing you will more likely have children and be familiar with the problem of children and work.

Be clear in your own mind what you want. Is it part time or 9 to 5 with never staying late or can you stay late occasionally?

I personally try to be as flexible as possible with work and childcare but everyone gets if you have to go.

Also keep making TC apps don't stop! As if you get one young have a two year wait.

You are wise to keep in with law. If your partner can look after the baby go out and network at night at chambers talks and the like

Having said all that try the courts service or in house, or something like jobs go public or charity jobs for legal work outside the city

I also rec getting a low level legal vol job that you can do an afternoon a fortnight in great for child care and your CV

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice everyone :smile: Shall look into it further.

Original post by happyinthehaze
You don't need to justify having your baby.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, I wouldn't usually but knowing what some people are like on this forum I felt the need to say so my thread didn't become a "Shouldn't have got pregnant then!" fest. Although this part of the forum does seem to be more mature than e.g. relationships which I used to mod in :tongue:
Sure.

It wouldn't have occurred to me - but then I was a mature student. If anything, I have found younger students who are trying to get into law while balancing the demands of a child/children rather impressive.

Did I say before? Perhaps you could go down the 'niche' route - ie smaller boutique firms can have very high quality work and excellent lawyers; yet be set up by people who found the city corporate thing didn't suit them?

I do think what you want will be out there. Your baby will be grown before you know it so enjoy him :smile:

Original post by Sazzy890
Thanks for the advice everyone :smile: Shall look into it further.

I agree, I wouldn't usually but knowing what some people are like on this forum I felt the need to say so my thread didn't become a "Shouldn't have got pregnant then!" fest. Although this part of the forum does seem to be more mature than e.g. relationships which I used to mod in :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending