The Student Room Group

Applying to the RAF at Uni

Hi everyone,

I am in my first year of studying A-Levels, and am fast approaching the time of applying to university.

I have always wanted to be in the RAF, preferably a flying role, but my real dream is to serve.

What I am wondering is if it would be possible, to sit selection in my first year of university and then, if I am successful, postpone training until I have completed my degree.

I only worry about this because ones mental peak is around the age of 19, and if I am to give myself the best chances of passing selection, it might be best for me to go through the phase at that age.

I could of course take a gap year and apply to the RAF then, but that would mean that if I were unsuccessful and went to university (considering Aeronautical Engineering usually is up to 4 years) it would probably be too late for me then to apply again upon graduation.

So as you can see, a seemingly simple question that takes an awfully long time to explain.

Thanks for your time!

Alex
(edited 8 years ago)
'Peak' not 'peek'.

Go to university. Join the UAS. See how that suits you whilst you study. Look to join the RAF after university like most commissioned officers do.

You're basing big decisions on something that is not relevant. Stop worrying (and work out what you ACTUALLY want to do in the RAF).
Well I've applied for Avionics myself and yes, being an officer would be good to jump straight into but if you're serious about joining up then personally the years at uni (say 3) wouldn't be wasted but I think it's better to work your way up from being an Airman/Airwoman to officer. Also the fact most of your training would be done if all done successfully. But it's entirely up to you! It's the same wage and same job role but from what I understand as being an officer, it's just more of a management role whilst doing your normal job like if you were non-commissioned. Hope it's helped!
Reply 3
Original post by Mr.Fellows
Well I've applied for Avionics myself and yes, being an officer would be good to jump straight into but if you're serious about joining up then personally the years at uni (say 3) wouldn't be wasted but I think it's better to work your way up from being an Airman/Airwoman to officer.

While you might well think that's the more appropriate type for yourself, do not confuse that for meaning it is the correct route for everyone. Indeed, joining as an airman and then trying out for officer is making things harder for yourself, not easier.

If you wish to be an officer, apply to join as an officer.

Also the fact most of your training would be done if all done successfully.

That's not the case.

But it's entirely up to you! It's the same wage and same job role

No it isn't.

but from what I understand as being an officer, it's just more of a management role whilst doing your normal job like if you were non-commissioned. Hope it's helped!

Again, that's not the case. As an officer you have a distinct set of jobs and requirements that you would not have as an airman. That is especially the case if, as the OP mentions, he wants to be a pilot.
Original post by AirCadet255

I only worry about this because ones mental peak is around the age of 19

Never believe stats (and where did you get that one from?) and stop worrying. As it happens the average best performance at OASC (in the mental assessment of the Aptitude Tests) is around 22.

As has been said above, get good A-Levels, go to uni and join the UAS whilst getting a good degree.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for your advice!

I think I will go along with the plan of going to uni, joining a UAS (all my choices have one attaches, I made sure of that) and see what it's like.

Thanks again!
Reply 6
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
OASC (in the mental assessment of the Aptitude Tests) is around 22.

I was told by a friend that sat the aptitude tests (and passed) a few weeks ago that the officer had told them that the peak seems to be around 19, but I stand corrected!
Reply 7

I think I will go along with the plan of going to uni, joining a UAS (all my choices have one attaches, I made sure of that) and see what it's like.

Thanks again!

Just remember, you apply to join the UAS. It's not automatic. They have limited space and many applicants.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
Just remember, you apply to join the UAS. It's not automatic. They have limited space and many applicants.

I am well aware, but I feel as though I might be the right person. If at first I don't succeed then I shall try again.
I was told by a friend that sat the aptitude tests (and passed) a few weeks ago that the officer had told them that the peak seems to be around 19, but I stand corrected!

As Fritz said, it probably peaks around 22. I sat the tests when I was 20 and 23 and scored highest on the latter.

Thanks again!

Hey, not sure if you’ll reply but how did it go? Are in in the RAF now?
Original post by I33ysanders
Hey, not sure if you’ll reply but how did it go? Are in in the RAF now?

Sadly the chances of the OP replying to you are slim to nil. Very few people who post here while going through the recruitment process (or while at school or Uni) ever provide feedback once they get in. Just the nature of life I’m afraid. However, everyone’s journey into the RAF is unique to them, so if you’re interested, you have to make your own decisions based on what you feel is right for you.

Latest