The Student Room Group

Would you be concerned about someone close converting to islam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'd tell then to give their head a good shake, stop being such a tw@t, and come out for a few pints and sausage roll instead.
A little bit, it would be very out of character for anyone I know.
Original post by LVRG
Well **** me... is that really what you think? like seriously? I've had so many mates convert to islam over the years and they're the most mellow ppl!

Many? Where do you live, Wandsworth Prison?
Original post by JerseyHouse
Clean people are mentally ill? There nothing sane about western secularism, anyone can live like an animal. I'd say the mentally ill are the Friday/Night bingers, pregnant teenagers and MTV addicts.

No but blind faith is indicative of mental illness, if it was anything else but god people would turn their nose up.
IT'S JUST A RELIGION

Spoiler

Original post by Reformed
IE a member of the family or a close friend/ someone you work with? This is asked amidst the current climate where many converts, particulalry in the west , feature heavily in lists of convicted members of islamist groups plotting or supporting attrocities. In europe converts have been identified native to numerous countries that have gone on to be arrested. The general pattern to islamist activity has been started with an initial growing interest in political matters ( taken from an islamic standpoint)

In the Uk there have been numerous white british christians/non christian converts as well as british black converts and even now asian converts.

would you have any concerns or no issues - and if so would you report?

I'd tell them to keep all muslim away from me.
Surely they should be praised; devotion to the prophet is a noble way of life. How many of you albino pastry faced crackers have tried fasting or praying 5 times a day from 5 am onwards eh? I would be far more concerned about an individual attending various clubs, pubs, engaging in early copulations, engaging in gambling, drug use and alcohol. The westerner always manages to twist good standards of behaviour in to something that should be demonised. So now we have a society that instead of aspiring to art, literature, academic learning and higher pursuits is fixated on instant gratification, mall/MTV culture, promiscuity, social media, technology. These kaffir ****s have the audacity to accused muslims of being backward when its actually western society (mostly anglo american/aus culture - italy and france have the right idea) that is lying in the gutter.

ah ffs
what a troll ******
Original post by oShahpo
Your statement was false, so I commented on that. Thobes are not a religious thing, they're a Middle Eastern and Bedouin thing. Maybe Bedouin Christians do wear it, but Christians in Egypt as I am sure, generally, don't.

I never said that Christians in Egypt generally wear a thobe, that wouldn't be true - neither would it be true to say that Muslims in Egypt generally wear a thobe! What is certain from my own experiences, however, is that people in more rural areas of the country such as Upper Egypt, do tend to wear thobes, regardless of their religious beliefs.
Original post by Boondock Saint
I never said that Christians in Egypt generally wear a thobe, that wouldn't be true - neither would it be true to say that Muslims in Egypt generally wear a thobe! What is certain from my own experiences, however, is that people in more rural areas of the country such as Upper Egypt, do tend to wear thobes, regardless of their religious beliefs.

That's true. You didn't make that clear in your first comment.
If someone converted to Islam, I'd most likely cut contact with them (and have done in the past).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 70
The westerner always manages to twist good standards of behaviour in to something that should be demonised. So now we have a society that instead of aspiring to art, literature, academic learning and higher pursuits
to be fair there is nothing in islam that directs to the aspiration to any of the above. indeed most of the above are found far more extensively throughout the non-islamic world

is fixated on instant gratification, mall/MTV culture, promiscuity, social media, technology. These kaffir ****s have the audacity to accused muslims of being backward when its actually western society (mostly anglo american/aus culture - italy and france have the right idea) that is lying in the gutter.

i think all societies have their issues - islamic society certainly. western society - maybe also . so even if we are all drunken mtv obsessed facebooking sexaholics. but then islamic society brings muslims war, sectarian killings, pre-medieval living, beheadings, kidnap, slavery sexual abuse, girls getting shot for going to school etc - i cant see a valid argument that shows me thats better.
Reply 71
Original post by The Epicurean
Is it not the case though that they are the token white guy? Considering how many white people do convert, I would assume that such token individuals are still a very small percentage.

i think ( in the west) white people seem more likely to convert than say non muslim asians or east asians. afro carrebean perhaps possibly 2nd most likely. converts however often fit a 'profile'
I already did when I was 16. Didn't last a year, but it was just for an a girl really :')
Reply 73
I know a few Islams, great people
everyone who is close is already a muslim, aH

allahuakbar
IE a member of the family or a close friend/ someone you work with? This is asked amidst the current climate where many converts, particulalry in the west , feature heavily in lists of convicted members of islamist groups plotting or supporting attrocities. In europe converts have been identified native to numerous countries that have gone on to be arrested. The general pattern to islamist activity has been started with an initial growing interest in political matters ( taken from an islamic standpoint)

In the Uk there have been numerous white british christians/non christian converts as well as british black converts and even now asian converts.

Religious beliefs are very much personal matters and while we have our beliefs unique to us, we must learn to respect others even when it is not the same with ours. If someone close to me decides to convert to Islam, then so be it. If it is where s/he finds peace of mind, and if it is where s/he thinks her/his spiritual happiness lie, it is all up to her/him. Anyway I have friends who are Muslims and they're all fun to be with, our religious beliefs have never been an issue to us so I guess it wouldn't be bad if someone close to me would be a part of their faith.
Original post by ninjapurple
If someone close to me decides to convert to Islam, then so be it. If it is where s/he finds peace of mind, and if it is where s/he thinks her/his spiritual happiness lie, it is all up to her/him.
I agree that conversion is not a problem : radicalisation is, but it is not automatic that a convert will become a radical. Most converts will simply get on with their lives, rather than dream about Caliphates

still, I would be very much interested by the motives for conversion : in my view, Islam is a backward, negative ideology, so it is always a bit difficult to understand what motivates converts. It is an effort that, in my opinion, we should not hesitate to undertake

best

the problem is, we have no reliable data. No one knows the exact number of converts in the UK (I have seen estimates which differ by a factor of , say, 8 times) and no one knows the proportion of "islamists" (or "extremists", "radicals" "jihadi supporters" etc - big problem of definitions there) among them

Usually, radicals don't go around announcing "I've become a radical" (at least, serious radicals don't), but the few of them who do, will get a lot of attention, while the thousands of converts who simply keep quiet and get on with their life will get exactly zero attention.

So, the devil, as usual, is in the details : definitions (radical, extremist, fundamentalist, islamist etc) and numbers/proportions

best
Original post by mariachi
I agree that conversion is not a problem : radicalisation is, but it is not automatic that a convert will become a radical. Most converts will simply get on with their lives, rather than dream about Caliphates

still, I would be very much interested by the motives for conversion : in my view, Islam is a backward, negative ideology, so it is always a bit difficult to understand what motivates converts. It is an effort that, in my opinion, we should not hesitate to undertake

best

While in some aspects, Islam could be backward and negative like you've mentioned, I still think it still has some positive aspects in it. Or that is, based on what I have learned from another Muslim I have encountered in a couple of years ago. I guess it goes the same even with other religious beliefs; they have their own pros and cons with them. I also have a hard time to fully understand others who convert from Catholic (my religion too btw) to another religion, not just Muslim, but our beliefs and our faith is a part of a journey especially made for each of us... Some may never really understand the decisions we make. At the end of the day, what more important is the person we become, hopefully a better one, whatever religious belief we end up following. To each, his own.
Original post by ninjapurple
While in some aspects, Islam could be backward and negative like you've mentioned, I still think it still has some positive aspects in it. Or that is, based on what I have learned from another Muslim I have encountered in a couple of years ago.
well, of course that Muslims will see something positive in Islam, or they would not be Muslims to start with ... the issue is, what does motivate converts ?

however, a detailed discussion about and evaluation of Islam is a huge challenge : I don't think we can conduct it on here.

all the best
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending