The Student Room Group

Would you be concerned about someone close converting to islam?

IE a member of the family or a close friend/ someone you work with? This is asked amidst the current climate where many converts, particulalry in the west , feature heavily in lists of convicted members of islamist groups plotting or supporting attrocities. In europe converts have been identified native to numerous countries that have gone on to be arrested. The general pattern to islamist activity has been started with an initial growing interest in political matters ( taken from an islamic standpoint)

In the Uk there have been numerous white british christians/non christian converts as well as british black converts and even now asian converts.

would you have any concerns or no issues - and if so would you report?

Scroll to see replies

My family on my father's side would probably disown me if I became a Muslim but my mother's side maybe not so much. It depends who it was. Most of my friends are a mixture of Muslims Christians and atheists but if it was a husband or boyfriend I would certainly have a serious issue
I wouldn't mind, but I would keep an eye on them to make sure they weren't getting caught up in anything they shouldn't be.
I would be slightly concerned if someone that I knew suddenly fell into Islam and one day, simply started wearing the Islamic garb but other than that, not too bothered about what people want to believe in.
Without a doubt, none of my friends are even vaguely religious or spiritual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reformed
IE a member of the family or a close friend/ someone you work with? This is asked amidst the current climate where many converts, particulalry in the west , feature heavily in lists of convicted members of islamist groups plotting or supporting attrocities. In europe converts have been identified native to numerous countries that have gone on to be arrested. The general pattern to islamist activity has been started with an initial growing interest in political matters ( taken from an islamic standpoint)

In the Uk there have been numerous white british christians/non christian converts as well as british black converts and even now asian converts.

would you have any concerns or no issues - and if so would you report?

Depends if it was radical Islam or not.
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec
Without a doubt, none of my friends are even vaguely religious or spiritual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

actually a number of recent high profile british converts have previously been neither.
I would be very concerned. I would have essentially lost a friend.

Same applies if they became a devout christian.
I wouldn't be bothered about them becoming part of any religion, belief or lack of belief. As long as they were happy and weren't hurting anyone :smile:
Reply 9
Yes I will be concerned.None of my family members would convert. If any of my friends converts, I will be watching him/her in 3D.
I 'd suggest they saw a shrink.

People that convert tend to have psychiatric issues in my experience.
Reply 11
Did you really just ask if you would report someone for converting to Islam?
Are you having a laugh?
Ridiculous. People on here talking about people converting as if they've just murdered someone. Ignorance is rife.
If it was a friend then no I wouldn't have a problem. I would have a problem if they had radical views and started to judge me because of religion and would report them. But otherwise I'd be fine.

If it was a boyfriend or husband though, I would have a serious problem.
actually a number of recent high profile british converts have previously been neither.

What made them high profile?
Reply 15
Original post by DiddyDec
What made them high profile?

mainly because they were white and joined high profile islamist groups such as that of anjem chodury, or even Al queda, al shabab and ISlamic State
I'd certainly be concerned, they could go from banter on the bus to blowing up that bus. Jokes aside it would be worrying, certain people have a genetic compulsion for violence but they simply don't have the trigger or the reasons to be violent. Islam (not mainstream but a significant minority) is the only religion (part of it) in the world (currently) were you can kill scores of people and feel like God supports you 100%. That's why there was an increase in converts after 911 because psychopaths are attracted to Islam like moths to a flame. I'm aware that most converts aren't like that but quite a high percentage are so I'd need to look out for my friend when he/she can't look out for themselves.
mainly because they were white and joined high profile islamist groups such as that of anjem chodury, or even Al queda, al shabab and ISlamic State

All the more reason to be concerned.
Very.
Reply 19
Original post by MrKmas508
I'd certainly be concerned, they could go from banter on the bus to blowing up that bus. Jokes aside it would be worrying, certain people have a genetic compulsion for violence but they simply don't have the trigger or the reasons to be violent. Islam (not mainstream but a significant minority) is the only religion (part of it) in the world (currently) were you can kill scores of people and feel like God supports you 100%. That's why there was an increase in converts after 911 because psychopaths are attracted to Islam like moths to a flame. I'm aware that most converts aren't like that but quite a high percentage are so I'd need to look out for my friend when he/she can't look out for themselves.

Well **** me... is that really what you think? like seriously? I've had so many mates convert to islam over the years and they're the most mellow ppl. Do you actually know anyone who has converted? Are they psychopaths? I'm not even muslim but the levels of ignorance these days is quite astounding...... I'm genuinely shocked!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending