The Student Room Group

Article: Thinking about dropping out of uni? Read this first

Hey everyone :wavey:

We've written an advice article for anyone who might be struggle at uni and considering making this kind of decision :grouphugs:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=22039-thinking-about-dropping-out-of-uni-read-this-first
(edited 8 years ago)
Brilliant post TSR. I'm Ethereal World, said Oxford drop-out mentioned in article. If anyone wants to PM me about my experiences feel free :smile:
Original post by Ethereal World
Brilliant post TSR. I'm Ethereal World, said Oxford drop-out mentioned in article. If anyone wants to PM me about my experiences feel free :smile:

Famous already :adore:
Original post by SeanFM

Hashtag big time.

Bath ftw :five:
Original post by SeanFM

Ps I'm back in the holy land today and tomorrow! One night only. :sexface:
Original post by Ethereal World
Ps I'm back in the holy land today and tomorrow! One night only. :sexface:

Pop down and say hi :wink:
Original post by She-Ra
Hey everyone :wavey:

We've written an advice article for anyone who might be struggle at uni and considering making this kind of decision :grouphugs:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=22039-thinking-about-dropping-out-of-uni-read-this-first

PRSOM - this is a fantastic thread :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
For the accommodation part, it's possible that someone takes over the remaining tenancy. That's what I did once, I was an exchange student and only studied for the second semester so I bought the remaining months of the contract of a guy who had dropped out.

Young professionals can also be interested, but student halls often refuse them. If you've a private landlord, it may work though, especially if you offer them a discount.
I dropped out in my first year at Portsmouth i moved to a different uni closer to home (only half an hour closer) I still lived in halls but being that tiny bit closer made things so much easier. I really enjoyed my time at uni 2 (originally my insurance) I just wasn't ready when I went at 20 being closer second time round home sickness didn't even come in to it I don't regret moving out at all.
I studied French at the University of Aberdeen for two years but even from the very beginning I felt as if something wasn't right, that I just wasn't enjoying the course. I never felt passionate like my other classmates, never wanted to speak the language in front of anyone, dreaded the idea of moving to the country and was never interested in the culture classes. I had several breakdowns to my flatmate, telling her I just felt like I was heading in the wrong direction, but wasn't sure which career I actually DID want! So eventually, just before having to take the leap to move to France for my third year abroad, I dropped out. It felt terrible, it made me feel like a failure, embarassed, ashamed and dumb (despite having passed every exam during first and second year). However, you need to shrug off this feeling, because you made a decision based upon what felt/seemed right at the time. It's difficult to try and map out your future when you're 16/17/18, and to decide upon a certain type of career that you have never even tried or had proper experience of. You can't beat yourself up for that, all you can do is move on and over time find something that you do truly enjoy. Just because you dropped out once doesn't mean you shouldn't go back for something else, just make sure you really think about why you want to study that degree and why you want to go to that particular university. It's never too late to further your education, even if you decide to take a ten year break! It was an experience for me, I have never regretted going to university and studying a degree I didn't like, because in that time I made a couple of extremely close friends, became more independent and had fun! You need to keep in mind what you HAVE taken from it, and be proud! You got in to university! Dropping out never ever means that you 1. are a failure/are not intelligent 2. will never achieve your dreams and 3. that you will never get into another degree, you might just need to take a little bit of a detour, perhaps a college course first or some volunteering experience. GO GET 'EM, TIGER!!! :cheers:
I think a large number of people should drop out of university. For many, its a complete waste of time and is just an exercise in acquiring debt. Too many people go like pigs to the slaughter.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I dropped out in my first year at Portsmouth i moved to a different uni closer to home (only half an hour closer) I still lived in halls but being that tiny bit closer made things so much easier. I really enjoyed my time at uni 2 (originally my insurance) I just wasn't ready when I went at 20 being closer second time round home sickness didn't even come in to it I don't regret moving out at all.

I am thinking of transferring to University of Portsmouth. Did you like the this uni itself? I understand that the distance was the problem, but did you see any problems at uni, like staff, environment and so on? Thanks for answers x
Original post by ModestNietzsche
I am thinking of transferring to University of Portsmouth. Did you like the this uni itself? I understand that the distance was the problem, but did you see any problems at uni, like staff, environment and so on? Thanks for answers x

The staff were ok although some of the lectures had strong accents that I find difficult to understand and they al fully supported me when i decided to leave. I'm actually not keen on the city itself (i suppose Gunwarf keys is nice) compared to Southampton it's not as friendly and the people just seemed depressed.

If you do go do not live in the Langston student village Because you will miss lectures because the buss is always full get your self in one of the halls in the centre
any other questions feel free to PM me.
@megmrsh @Holty55 this might help you :grouphugs:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by She-Ra
@megmrsh @Holty55 this might help you :grouphugs:

Thank you! :cute:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending