The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

May have made the wrong choice

I'm applying to do Film at university and I was interested in the new BA course at Bournemouth so that was one of my options. On the night before the open day I got an offer and was over the moon! So when I went to the open day the following day I loved everything about the uni, but during the course talk I realised that maybe I hadn't been careful enough when making my choices. The guy giving the talk outright said "If you want to do practical film making then this isn't the course for you" and I've started panicking because what I want to do IS practical filmmaking. This course is new so will be starting in 2016 so I can't ask previous students what it's really like. I looked at other course talks during the day and the Media Production course seems more like my kind of thing.

What do I do? Would it be easy to change courses once I got to the university or would I have to get hold of the uni now to see if thats possible? I already have the offer for the Film course so I don't know if it would affect anything.

If anyone could help that'd be fab :smile:
Original post by megbrooks
I'm applying to do Film at university and I was interested in the new BA course at Bournemouth so that was one of my options. On the night before the open day I got an offer and was over the moon! So when I went to the open day the following day I loved everything about the uni, but during the course talk I realised that maybe I hadn't been careful enough when making my choices. The guy giving the talk outright said "If you want to do practical film making then this isn't the course for you" and I've started panicking because what I want to do IS practical filmmaking. This course is new so will be starting in 2016 so I can't ask previous students what it's really like. I looked at other course talks during the day and the Media Production course seems more like my kind of thing.

What do I do? Would it be easy to change courses once I got to the university or would I have to get hold of the uni now to see if thats possible? I already have the offer for the Film course so I don't know if it would affect anything.

You could email them now and ask if you could change to media production. :smile:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Email or phone now. If they are still making offers on the other course, its usually straightforward to swap so do it quickly. Email them now, and follow up with a phone call on Monday.

Do not leave it until you start Uni - the chances are that you wont be able to change at that stage and you will have to do a course that you clearly have no interest in.
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17
You could email them now and ask if you could change to media production. :smile:

thank you, I shall do so!
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Email or phone now. If they are still making offers on the other course, its usually straightforward to swap so do it quickly. Email them now, and follow up with a phone call on Monday.

Do not leave it until you start Uni - the chances are that you wont be able to change at that stage and you will have to do a course that you clearly have no interest in.

Thank you very much I shall do this!
Reply 5

Hello,
I am in the same situation as you. Did you manage to change to media production?
Reply 6
Original post by Foxzz
Hello,
I am in the same situation as you. Did you manage to change to media production?

I haven't got round to emailing them yet but I'm just about to, just not too sure how to word it.
I haven't got round to emailing them yet but I'm just about to, just not too sure how to word it.

I currently hold an offer for your BA Film degree, but after visiting you and learning more about the courses you offer I feel as though Media Production would better suit my interests and future career plans. I'm interested in practical film making, and the person who gave the talk at your open day said that the course I currently hold an offer for isn't really suitable for people who want to do that. Is it possible for me to switch to the Media Production course?

That's similar to the email I sent went I wanted to move from English to Economics and I was allowed to switch immediately. Generally if your uni has places on a particular course they don't mind switching you. It's only if you want to switch to an oversubscribed course, or a course that you don't have the qualifications for, that you might encounter problems.
Reply 8
Original post by mscaffrey
I currently hold an offer for your BA Film degree, but after visiting you and learning more about the courses you offer I feel as though Media Production would better suit my interests and future career plans. I'm interested in practical film making, and the person who gave the talk at your open day said that the course I currently hold an offer for isn't really suitable for people who want to do that. Is it possible for me to switch to the Media Production course?

That's similar to the email I sent went I wanted to move from English to Economics and I was allowed to switch immediately. Generally if your uni has places on a particular course they don't mind switching you. It's only if you want to switch to an oversubscribed course, or a course that you don't have the qualifications for, that you might encounter problems.

Thank you so much that's a massive help! I know there are a lot of people who have applied for that course so I've got to hope for the best. Thanks again!
Thank you so much that's a massive help! I know there are a lot of people who have applied for that course so I've got to hope for the best. Thanks again!

Hi megbrooks,

Do give us a call/email as soon as you can - it's really important you're doing the right course for you, so as soon as you're certain about your decision, get in touch with us so we can look at options. Here are the contact details for our AskBU Advisers:

[email protected]
01202 961916

They're very friendly, so don't be scared! Best of luck, I hope everything gets sorted for you.

Katie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending