The Student Room Group

English Lit: Give me a title for my CW

Hello TSR

I am starting my English Lit coursework and need a title. I need to compare The Picture of Dorian Gray and Perfume. I can't for the life of me think of a suitable title that is easily accessible.

Someone please shoot some ideas.

Thanks.
Original post by Pretty Flacko
Hello TSR

I am starting my English Lit coursework and need a title. I need to compare The Picture of Dorian Gray and Perfume. I can't for the life of me think of a suitable title that is easily accessible.

Thanks.

Popping into the English section for you :h:

Do you have any idea of themes you would like to compare?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Popping into the English section for you :h:

Do you have any idea of themes you would like to compare?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, I was thinking along the lines of morality, but just need something accessible really.

And thanks for moving :smile:
Original post by Pretty Flacko
Hello TSR

Thanks.

I love both these novels and I envy you for doing your coursework on this!

Well, there are both quite different novels. Perfume is often consider a dark, grotesque humorous novel, that really pokes fun at the French during the 19th century. But, Gray is a novel that is about the social anarchy in late Victorian times.

If you want to do something on morality maybe something like "explore and contrast the way decadence in morality leads to the downfall of male protagonists" or "in what ways do the male protagonists suffer for their lack of moral ethics/moral conscience?"

I love transgressive literature and i focused on morality and its consequences when i did my coursework in Dorian Gray, Enduring Love and Othello.
'How is the Gothic presented in both tpodg and Perfume'
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I love both these novels and I envy you for doing your coursework on this!

Well, there are both quite different novels. Perfume is often consider a dark, grotesque humorous novel, that really pokes fun at the French during the 19th century. But, Gray is a novel that is about the social anarchy in late Victorian times.

If you want to do something on morality maybe something like "explore and contrast the way decadence in morality leads to the downfall of male protagonists" or "in what ways do the male protagonists suffer for their lack of moral ethics/moral conscience?"

I love transgressive literature and i focused on morality and its consequences when i did my coursework in Dorian Gray, Enduring Love and Othello.

This is really helpful.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply