The Student Room Group

Is "well rounded" a myth?

Or rather, is the notion that all universities, including Oxbridge, want a "well rounded" person a myth?

My question really is: in order to get into Oxbridge, are other little things necessary like sporting and so on, or if you get brilliant grades should this be enough?

To me it seems that it is unintuitive to accept well rounded people rather than the people who are absolutely the best at whatever subject.
Reply 1
I don't know about Oxbridge but out in the real world most companies paying good salaries want exceptional people, not a jack of all trades.
Reply 2
Highlighting what Reue said (One can't be jack of all trades, if so, then one would be a master of none).Op, I don't think so. I think they mean in moderation. Oxford and Cambridge value high grades more so than extracurricular activities.
Reply 3
Original post by benjaminfinch
Or rather, is the notion that all universities, including Oxbridge, want a "well rounded" person a myth?

My question really is: in order to get into Oxbridge, are other little things necessary like sporting and so on, or if you get brilliant grades should this be enough?

To me it seems that it is unintuitive to accept well rounded people rather than the people who are absolutely the best at whatever subject.

To be a succesful applicant for Oxbridge the only thing that really matters are your academics and, to a lesser degree, any subject-specific super-curriculars.

They don't care if you are a head girl/boy, or captain of sports, or DoE Gold.

BUT that's not to say there isn't some merit in having wider interests beyond your academic subjects, they can of course be good for you at a personal level. It's just that Oxbridge doesn't use them when it is identifying good candidates.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by benjaminfinch

For Oxbridge "well rounded" is definitely a myth, especially when it comes to Maths/science subjects. They are only interested in academic aspects of any candidate. So an appreciation of music or art may well be relevant for a languages or literature degree but not for NatSci. An interest in current affairs is essential for Economics or HSPS but not for Maths. Work experience is only relevant for Medicine and nothing else.They couldn't care less if you are an introvert or extrovert, socially confident or shy & awkward. The value of being head boy or captain of a sports team, is not that it shows leadership but only that you have had time for them whilst also having achieved good grades.

For other universities such as Durham & Bristol well rounded does matter a little but only if you also have excellent grades. It is a shame that most people focus on what Oxbridge wants where as their personal statement counts for more as other universities, which is where most Oxbridge applicants will end up!

I would say for jobs that well rounded frequently counts for a great deal. Do you have leadership skills, are you good at public speaking, can you be relaxed & impressive when meeting a new client, will you share networking interests and so on. This is the middle class premium that continues to advantage those whose upbringing has given them social confidence.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending