The Student Room Group

Nmr question

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1454692627.446102.jpg

How to approach a question like this?
I first drew the compound and from the periodic table there is a functional group between 2.1-2.6 because of the carboxylic acid group is that correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lilly1234567890
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1454692627.446102.jpg

How to approach a question like this?
I first drew the compound and from the periodic table there is a functional group between 2.1-2.6 because of the carboxylic acid group is that correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

The deuterium removes the hydrogen from the carboxylic acid group, the amine and the hydroxyl group so they don't show up on the spectrum. .That just leaves CH2 adjacent to CH
Original post by charco
The deuterium removes the hydrogen from the carboxylic acid group, the amine and the hydroxyl group so they don't show up on the spectrum. .That just leaves CH2 adjacent to CH

Surely, the C=O bond of the carboxylic acid will still remain and therefore will affect the chemical shifts?
Original post by mil88
Surely, the C=O bond of the carboxylic acid will still remain and therefore will affect the chemical shifts?

nobody disputed that... but the only protons visible will be the CH-CH2
Original post by charco

So will it always remove three protons ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charco
nobody disputed that... but the only protons visible will be the CH-CH2

Oh ok, I thought you meant that the final structure only involved CH-CH2 and not the C=O group.
So will it always remove three protons ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Deuterium replaces hydrogen atoms that are labile, i.e. easily released. This happens with carboxylic acids, amines and hydroxyl groups ...

Deuterium has two nucleons and does not show up on NMR.
Reply 7
How to approach a question like this

I would start by tilting my head to the right.
Original post by charco
Deuterium replaces hydrogen atoms that are labile, i.e. easily released. This happens with carboxylic acids, amines and hydroxyl groups ...

Deuterium has two nucleons and does not show up on NMR.

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest