The Student Room Group

What will Cambridge's position be for next years applicants regarding AS's?

Hello, my school has decided not to cover the charge of the exams of decoupled AS's this year if students are expected to exceed a certain grade or are dropping the subject at the end of the year. However, i am expected the exceed the grade and the subjects in question for me are Biology and Chemistry, both of which i am keen to take through to A2, especially as i'm considering applying for Natural Sciences. As a result I wondered if anyone's heard about whether Cambridge will maintain their current system of SUMS based on AS grades and thus that i should pay for my entry for AS biology and chemistry, or whether I should not do the AS and just do the A2 exams if Cambridge will use another system for entry (as though I've heard they're adding tests for entry i assumed it could still be initiated beside the current system in place). Any help would be much appreciated:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by fw431
Hello, my school has decided not to cover the charge of the exams of decoupled AS's this year if students are expected to exceed a certain grade or are dropping the subject at the end of the year. However, i am expected the exceed the grade and the subjects in question for me are Biology and Chemistry, both of which i am keen to take through to A2, especially as i'm considering applying for Natural Sciences. As a result I wondered if anyone's heard about whether Cambridge will maintain their current system of SUMS based on AS grades and thus that i should pay for my entry for AS biology and chemistry, or whether I should not do the AS and just do the A2 exams if Cambridge will use another system for entry (as though I've heard they're adding tests for entry i assumed it could still be initiated beside the current system in place). Any help would be much appreciated:smile:

They are introducing additional admissions tests to the process:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/admissions-assessments

If you don't have UMS you will not be disadvantaged.
Original post by fw431

It possibly depends on how well you think you would do at the AS's. If you get 100% UMS in the AS's, that is certainly an advantage over having no AS's. If you get 85% that is a disadvantage.
Reply 3
Original post by sweeneyrod
It possibly depends on how well you think you would do at the AS's. If you get 100% UMS in the AS's, that is certainly an advantage over having no AS's. If you get 85% that is a disadvantage.

Ahh ok, i think i might do them then as i should be getting around 93% if not above, so at that middle ground i guess it wouldn't hurt.
Reply 4
Original post by fw431
Ahh ok, i think i might do them then as i should be getting around 93% if not above, so at that middle ground i guess it wouldn't hurt.

93+ would be worth getting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would 85% really be a disadvantage? What sort of UMS do Cambridge expect from an applicant?
Reply 6
Original post by LordStark
Would 85% really be a disadvantage? What sort of UMS do Cambridge expect from an applicant?

Depends on the course, and also remember your application is more than just a single average.

But 85% average *may* be enough to get you an interview.
Original post by LordStark

I don't think it would be an advantage for any course. Most successful applicants go on to get A*A*A, and thus have a possible minimum A2 UMS average of 86%.

There are some graphs somewhere that show your chances of success for each subject with a given UMS%. Until someone links them, I think it's fair to say that 85% is insurmountably too low for a medicine applicants, probably too low for most sciences applicants (and maybe other courses like law and economics), and somewhat lower than average for other humanities applicants. A science applicant with 85% UMS and no extenuating circumstances probably won't get an interview.
Reply 8
Original post by sweeneyrod
I don't think it would be an advantage for any course. Most successful applicants go on to get A*A*A, and thus have a possible minimum A2 UMS average of 86%.

There are some graphs somewhere that show your chances of success for each subject with a given UMS%. Until someone links them, I think it's fair to say that 85% is insurmountably too low for a medicine applicants, probably too low for most sciences applicants (and maybe other courses like law and economics), and somewhat lower than average for other humanities applicants. A science applicant with 85% UMS and no extenuating circumstances probably won't get an interview.

Yes medicine is less likely to get an offer with an average 85% SUMS

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 23.16.30.jpg

From http://bit.ly/ApplicantUMS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending