The Student Room Group

Mental Health Tribunals

Has anyone had a mental health tribunal before? How can I have a successful hearing? Any tips on how to have a successful tribunal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1lastchance
Has anyone had a mental health tribunal before? How can I have a successful hearing? Any tips on how to have a successful tribunal?

What is a mental health tribunal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Do you mean for PIP? Or appealing a section? You need to clarify
Reply 3
I had one back in 2013 when I was hospitalised. I got absolutely ****ing slaughtered by at least three medical professionals.
Original post by lustawny
I had one back in 2013 when I was hospitalised. I got absolutely ****ing slaughtered by at least three medical professionals.

What do you mean by slaughtered?
Hey, just replied to you in the other thread.
Reply 6
Original post by greatguy73
What do you mean by slaughtered?

I appealed against my section pretty much immediately as soon as I was hospitalised, and at the tribunal, three medical professionals (impartial tribunal doctor, ward consultant and ward nurse) all made a case against me that I needed to be in hospital. They all won.
I appealed against my section pretty much immediately as soon as I was hospitalised, and at the tribunal, three medical professionals (impartial tribunal doctor, ward consultant and ward nurse) all made a case against me that I needed to be in hospital. They all won.

Whats it like to be section Does it actually help? What do they do when you are sectioned.

Sorry if I am annoying you with these questions- I am just interested. You don need to answer if you dont want to obv.
Reply 8
Original post by davidguettafan
What is a mental health tribunal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A hearing to decide whether someone can remain on section or not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Jenx301

Appealing a section.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hey, just replied to you in the other thread.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by greatguy73
Whats it like to be section Does it actually help? What do they do when you are sectioned.

Sorry if I am annoying you with these questions- I am just interested. You don need to answer if you dont want to obv.

It sucks to be sectioned. It does help though because when sectioned the person is unwell, so the section guarantees the patient recieves the help they need.

When sectioned the staff have control over you to take meds etc. That's about all the staff can do when sectioned.
Original post by Jenx301

What does PIP stand for?
What does PIP stand for?

It's personal independence payment. It's paid to people with with a long term health condition over 16 with care and /or mobility needs.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's personal independence payment. It's paid to people with with a long term health condition over 16 with care and /or mobility needs.

Oh ok. I think I recieve that actually. :colondollar:
Oh ok. I think I recieve that actually. :colondollar:

If you applied before April 2013, it's DLA / disability living allowance.
It sucks to be sectioned. It does help though because when sectioned the person is unwell, so the section guarantees the patient recieves the help they need.

When sectioned the staff have control over you to take meds etc. That's about all the staff can do when sectioned.

They also control when you can leave the hospital and go for a walk if you're on a section... 3, I think? That's what I was on. I ****ing hated being cooped up in that place. I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it as soon I was forced into the place, which is why I appealed against it straight away.
firstly, it's important to note it is very rare that people get off their sections by appealing. simply because if 2 doctors have decided that you need to be admitted to hospital for your safety, then it's going to be hard for you to prove to independent doctors that you don't need to be there.

essentially, to get off section you need to be able to prove that you've made progress (with examples), that you accept your condition and accept that you need treatment. you're obviously unwell at the moment and it's going to be difficult for professionals to feel comfortable discharging you if they believe you're a danger to yourself.

i know it sucks being sectioned, but they are trying to protect your best interests x
They also control when you can leave the hospital and go for a walk if you're on a section... 3, I think? That's what I was on. I ****ing hated being cooped up in that place. I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it as soon I was forced into the place, which is why I appealed against it straight away.

I've been in hospital for 4 years now so it has become the norm for me. :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I've been in hospital for 4 years now so it has become the norm for me. :frown:

Did you appeal?

Quick Reply

Latest